Re: Do fingerprints hurt DVD's?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tad Bitt, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. Tad Bitt

    Tad Bitt Guest

    "Allan" <box532DAMNSENDMEMORESPAMANDVIRUSATTACHMENTSPLEASE at sympatico.ca
    REMOVEALLTHATCRAPTOSENDMEAEMAILANDADD@> wrote in message
    news:...
    > They certainly don't help with playback.
    >

    > "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    > because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable

    from
    > -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free

    time."
    > - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    The disc is spinning so quickly that the laser doesn't "see" any
    fingerprints. It's focal length is designed to read the metal layer surface
    laser etched pits. A bad scuff that totally obscures a fair portion of the
    disc will cause error. The bigger the scuff, the harder it is for your dvd
    player to use it's error correction (via the samples it stored before the
    scuff area). Surface scratches for example are no worse than finger prints
    since they are so narrow and don't obscure the lasers access to the metal.
    Tad Bitt, Apr 6, 2004