Re: Do Canon's competitors have something like CHDK? Time Lapse, etc?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David J Taylor, Sep 7, 2010.

  1. "Crash!" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?

    Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?

    David J Taylor, Sep 7, 2010

  2. David J Taylor

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 06:00:35 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >"Crash!" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?

    >Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?

    Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
    was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
    could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
    point-and-shoot.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Sep 7, 2010

  3. On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:01:51 +1000, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >"Superzooms Still Win" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 01:26:50 -0400, tony cooper
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
    >>>was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
    >>>could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
    >>>point-and-shoot.

    >> <http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/CHDK/>
    >>
    >> Insecure DSLR-TROLL fools never find what they don't want to look for.
    >>

    >LOL, can't find what is never posted anywhere.

    Oh, by the way, that link is posted on the main page for the CHDK Wiki. I
    know, because I put it there. It's available to anyone that has a sincere
    interest in CHDK. That counts out numbnuts DSLR-TROLLS like you, don't it.

    Superzooms Still Win, Sep 7, 2010
  4. On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:01:51 +1000, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >"Superzooms Still Win" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 01:26:50 -0400, tony cooper
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
    >>>was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
    >>>could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
    >>>point-and-shoot.

    >> <http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/CHDK/>
    >>
    >> Insecure DSLR-TROLL fools never find what they don't want to look for.
    >>

    >LOL, can't find what is never posted anywhere.

    Oh, by the way, that link is posted on the main page for the CHDK Wiki. I
    know, because I put it there about 2 years ago. It's available to anyone

    Superzooms Still Win, Sep 7, 2010
  5. In message <>, tony cooper
    <> writes

    >Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
    >was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
    >could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
    >point-and-shoot.

    I've seen some very nice lightning-strike pictures taken using CHDK to
    detect the flash and trigger the recording of the image. I believe there
    are custom lightning-flash detectors that can be coupled to conventional
    cameras to do the same thing but it's not a standard feature in any
    digital camera that I know of, and certainly not in any of the
    point-and-shoot range.

    I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
    under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
    usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
    as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
    available even on higher-end cameras.
    --
    To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

    Robert Sneddon, Sep 7, 2010
  6. David J Taylor

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 9/7/2010 1:26 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 06:00:35 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Crash!"<> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?

    >> Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?

    > Does anyone? I have yet to see an example of a good photograph that
    > was taken utilizing the CHDK "features" that was not an image that
    > could have been taken with an off-the-shelf, unhacked, Canon
    > point-and-shoot.

    Does that include the autotrigger lightning strike photos?

    J. Clarke, Sep 7, 2010
  7. David J Taylor

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 9/7/2010 1:00 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Crash!" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Do any of Canon's competitors have something like CHDK?

    > Perhaps they don't need "something like CHDK"?

    So how do you do lightning-strike photos with Canon's competitors?

    J. Clarke, Sep 7, 2010
  8. David J Taylor

    DanP Guest

    On Sep 7, 10:30 am, Robert Sneddon <> wrote:

    >  I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
    > under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
    > usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
    > as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
    > available even on higher-end cameras.

    So, what aperture will you use for that 1/40,000 sec exposure and how
    do you light your subject?
    And have you seen anything taken at that speed that is worth looking
    at?

    DanP

    DanP, Sep 7, 2010
  9. David J Taylor

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 9/7/2010 7:47 AM, DanP wrote:
    > On Sep 7, 10:30 am, Robert Sneddon<> wrote:
    >
    >> I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
    >> under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
    >> usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
    >> as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
    >> available even on higher-end cameras.

    > So, what aperture will you use for that 1/40,000 sec exposure and how
    > do you light your subject?
    > And have you seen anything taken at that speed that is worth looking
    > at?

    Looking at for what purpose? Hint--someone trying to figure out why his
    bullets are tumbling may have a different view of "worth" than someone
    who is trying to create a work of photographic art.

    J. Clarke, Sep 7, 2010
  10. David J Taylor, Sep 7, 2010
  11. David J Taylor

    Irwell Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 08:35:13 -0700, SMS wrote:

    > Some functionality of CHDK is useful and not present on many P&S
    > cameras. For example, I find the histograms very useful (especially for
    > higher ISO shots), and other than some high end Canon P&S cameras like
    > the G11, histograms were apparently deemed too complex a feature to be
    > included as standard on a P&S like the A570 IS or SD00 IS (the models
    > that I use CHDK on).

    Histograms in both shooting and display modes are present in
    the Sony W300 and Ricoh CX3.

    > Bracketing is another feature that my P&S cameras
    > don't come with but that CHDK allows, though I've never used bracketing.

    Sony W300 has bracketing for Exposure, the Ricoh CX3 has bracketing
    for Exposure, White Balance, Focus and Color.

    > I don't blame Canon for not including much of the capability that CHDK
    > adds. Including those capabilities would mean providing support and
    > documentation for those capabilities, something that would be difficult
    > and expensive to do for low cost cameras.

    A few more entries in the User's Manual is enough,
    any additional help is readily available on the Forums.

    I tried the CHDK when I owned a Canon SD1000, I found it very useful
    once the learning curve was mastered.

    Irwell, Sep 7, 2010
  12. David J Taylor

    DanP Guest

    On Sep 7, 1:58 pm, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    > On 9/7/2010 7:47 AM, DanP wrote:
    >
    > > On Sep 7, 10:30 am, Robert Sneddon<>  wrote:

    > >>   I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
    > >> under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
    > >> usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
    > >> as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
    > >> available even on higher-end cameras.

    > > So, what aperture will you use for that 1/40,000 sec exposure and how
    > > do you light your subject?
    > > And have you seen anything taken at that speed that is worth looking
    > > at?

    > Looking at for what purpose?  Hint--someone trying to figure out why his
    > bullets are tumbling may have a different view of "worth" than someone
    > who is trying to create a work of photographic art.

    I had an artistic purpose in mind. But if you can find one photo worth
    looking at for whatever purpose please post it.

    DanP

    DanP, Sep 7, 2010
  13. David J Taylor

    SMS Guest

    On 9/7/2010 1:00 PM, Irwell wrote:

    > A few more entries in the User's Manual is enough,
    > any additional help is readily available on the Forums.

    They worry more about having to field tech support calls, which cost
    them actual money.

    CHDK is perfect the way it is. Canon has not seemed to want to do
    anything to prevent its use, unlike what Apple always tries to do to
    jailbroken iPhones.

    > I tried the CHDK when I owned a Canon SD1000, I found it very useful
    > once the learning curve was mastered.

    Yes, definitely a learning curve, but the documentation in the Wiki is
    good, thanks to the cooperative effort of CHDK users. I'm really puzzled
    as to why our favorite troll is so upset that I contributed to the
    documentation and added some camera specific information. If he's so
    gung-ho about CHDK, you'd think he'd be thrilled that people are helping
    out!

    SMS, Sep 8, 2010
  14. On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 19:14:22 -0700, SMS <> wrote:

    >On 9/7/2010 1:00 PM, Irwell wrote:
    >
    >> A few more entries in the User's Manual is enough,
    >> any additional help is readily available on the Forums.

    >They worry more about having to field tech support calls, which cost
    >them actual money.
    >
    >CHDK is perfect the way it is. Canon has not seemed to want to do
    >anything to prevent its use, unlike what Apple always tries to do to
    >jailbroken iPhones.
    >
    >> I tried the CHDK when I owned a Canon SD1000, I found it very useful
    >> once the learning curve was mastered.

    >Yes, definitely a learning curve, but the documentation in the Wiki is
    >good, thanks to the cooperative effort of CHDK users. I'm really puzzled
    >as to why our favorite troll is so upset that I contributed to the
    >documentation and added some camera specific information. If he's so
    >gung-ho about CHDK, you'd think he'd be thrilled that people are helping
    >out!

    Because you're a psychotic fucking liar. You've never contributed ONE word
    to the CHDK project. Easily proved by the Wiki edits history. All you do is
    try to claim credit for all the hard work everyone else has done. You don't
    even own a camera that uses CHDK. Also proved.

    Outing Trolls is FUN!, Sep 8, 2010
  15. Re: Do Canon's competitors have something like CHDK? Time Lapse, etc?

    DanP <> wrote:
    > On Sep 7, 10:30 am, Robert Sneddon <> wrote:

    >>  I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
    >> under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
    >> usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
    >> as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
    >> available even on higher-end cameras.

    > So, what aperture will you use for that 1/40,000 sec exposure

    With P&S cameras, does that really matter

    > and how
    > do you light your subject?

    Powerful flashbulbs.
    Electronic flashes.

    If in doubt, nukes can be quite bright.
    :)

    > And have you seen anything taken at that speed that is worth looking
    > at?

    How about
    http://www.worldsfamousphotos.com/index.php/tag/bullet/
    which surely was much faster ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 8, 2010
  16. David J Taylor

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 08/09/2010 06:04, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > DanP<> wrote:
    >> On Sep 7, 10:30 am, Robert Sneddon<> wrote:

    >>> I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
    >>> under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
    >>> usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
    >>> as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
    >>> available even on higher-end cameras.

    >> So, what aperture will you use for that 1/40,000 sec exposure

    > With P&S cameras, does that really matter
    >
    >> and how
    >> do you light your subject?

    > Powerful flashbulbs.
    > Electronic flashes.

    How many CHDK-capable cameras have a flash sync connector? Not speaking
    of sync'ing the actual flash with such a short shutter...

    --
    Bertrand

    Ofnuts, Sep 8, 2010
  17. On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 01:19:42 -0700, Crash! <> wrote:

    >What will you do?
    >
    >Cheers!

    Conclusion:

    Name: Crash! (analogous of its mental capabilities)
    Age: 14 up to (a developmentally delayed) 17
    Favorite Manner of Dress: Feety Pajamas
    Living Quarters: Same bedroom of mother's house since age Zero
    Camera and Photo Experience: Zero
    Intentions of Buying a Camera: Zero
    Troll-Talent Score on a scale of 1 to 10: Zero

    Yes, your words revealed all that and more about you. You just don't
    realize it.

    Superzooms Still Win, Sep 8, 2010
  18. Re: Do Canon's competitors have something like CHDK? Time Lapse, etc?

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:00:59 +0200, Ofnuts <>
    wrote:

    >On 08/09/2010 06:04, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    >> DanP<> wrote:

    >>> So, what aperture will you use for that 1/40,000 sec exposure

    >> With P&S cameras, does that really matter
    >>
    >>> and how
    >>> do you light your subject?

    >> Powerful flashbulbs.
    >> Electronic flashes.

    >How many CHDK-capable cameras have a flash sync connector? Not speaking
    >of sync'ing the actual flash with such a short shutter...

    All of them if using any inexpensive slave-trigger. And they do all sync
    with 1/40,000 second shutter speeds, slave-trigger or hotshoe connection,
    it matters not.

    Superzooms Still Win, Sep 8, 2010
  19. David J Taylor

    DanP Guest

    Re: Do Canon's competitors have something like CHDK? Time Lapse, etc?

    On Sep 8, 5:04 am, Wolfgang Weisselberg <>
    wrote:
    > DanP <> wrote:
    > > On Sep 7, 10:30 am, Robert Sneddon <> wrote:
    > >>  I also recall seeing some high-speed "frozen" images that were taken
    > >> under conventional lighting rather than using high-speed strobes as is
    > >> usual in such cases. For some Canon cameras CHDK allows exposure times
    > >> as short as 1/40,000 second, again not something that is conventionally
    > >> available even on higher-end cameras.

    > > So, what aperture will you use for that 1/40,000 sec exposure

    > With P&S cameras, does that really matter

    Well, it has to be closed at f/8 which makes life even worse.

    > > and how
    > > do you light your subject?

    > Powerful flashbulbs.
    > Electronic flashes.

    People who have only a P&S will shy away from buying extra equipment.
    With a good flash you can freeze the action at around that speed at
    the expense of power but you get to keep the aperture.

    > If in doubt, nukes can be quite bright.
    > :)

    Glad you see where this is going.

    > > And have you seen anything taken at that speed that is worth looking
    > > at?

    > How about
    >    http://www.worldsfamousphotos.com/index.php/tag/bullet/
    > which surely was much faster ...

    Well, I meant taken with a CHDK camera ...

    DanP

    DanP, Sep 8, 2010
  20. David J Taylor

    Peter Guest

    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 01:19:42 -0700, Crash! <> wrote:
    >

    >>What will you do?
    >>
    >>Cheers!
    >>

    > Conclusion:
    >
    > Name: Crash! (analogous of its mental capabilities)
    > Age: 14 up to (a developmentally delayed) 17
    > Favorite Manner of Dress: Feety Pajamas
    > Living Quarters: Same bedroom of mother's house since age Zero
    > Camera and Photo Experience: Zero
    > Intentions of Buying a Camera: Zero
    > Troll-Talent Score on a scale of 1 to 10: Zero
    >
    > Yes, your words revealed all that and more about you. You just don't
    > realize it.

    It was looking in a mirror when it posted the above.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Sep 8, 2010