Re: DNG dependent on ACR?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John McWilliams, Apr 17, 2009.

  1. Carsten Arnholm wrote:
    > Can anyone confirm that DNG is dependent on ACR
    >
    > Regards, CA

    Please rephrase the question if what I say isn't helpful.

    DNGs can be created by Adobe's RAW converter. DNGs can be viewed and
    developed via ACR (as part of Photoshop) and Lightroom. Some cameras
    produce DNG straight off, but I don't know what other software handles
    them in addition to the two mentioned.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Apr 17, 2009

  2. John McWilliams

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 21:28:40 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >Carsten Arnholm wrote:
    >> Can anyone confirm that DNG is dependent on ACR
    >>
    >> Regards, CA
    >>

    >Please rephrase the question if what I say isn't helpful.
    >
    >DNGs can be created by Adobe's RAW converter. DNGs can be viewed and
    >developed via ACR (as part of Photoshop) and Lightroom. Some cameras
    >produce DNG straight off, but I don't know what other software handles
    >them in addition to the two mentioned.

    Perhaps you include it in "Photoshop", but when I download (Nikon) NEF
    files from my SD card in Bridge, I have it checked to automatically
    convert them to DNG files. Bridge views DNG files.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Apr 17, 2009

  3. John McWilliams

    Bob Larter Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 21:28:40 -0700, John McWilliams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Carsten Arnholm wrote:
    >>> Can anyone confirm that DNG is dependent on ACR
    >>>
    >>> Regards, CA
    >>>

    >> Please rephrase the question if what I say isn't helpful.
    >>
    >> DNGs can be created by Adobe's RAW converter. DNGs can be viewed and
    >> developed via ACR (as part of Photoshop) and Lightroom. Some cameras
    >> produce DNG straight off, but I don't know what other software handles
    >> them in addition to the two mentioned.

    > Perhaps you include it in "Photoshop", but when I download (Nikon) NEF
    > files from my SD card in Bridge, I have it checked to automatically
    > convert them to DNG files.

    I didn't know that Bridge could do that. I'll have to try it out.

    PS: And a big "Hello" to Lynne Lyons, AKA "Goofy",
    who's watching this from Google ALerts!

    Bob Larter, Apr 17, 2009
  4. John McWilliams

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:08:21 +1000, Bob Larter <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 21:28:40 -0700, John McWilliams
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Please rephrase the question if what I say isn't helpful.
    >>>
    >>> DNGs can be created by Adobe's RAW converter. DNGs can be viewed and
    >>> developed via ACR (as part of Photoshop) and Lightroom. Some cameras
    >>> produce DNG straight off, but I don't know what other software handles
    >>> them in addition to the two mentioned.

    >> Perhaps you include it in "Photoshop", but when I download (Nikon) NEF
    >> files from my SD card in Bridge, I have it checked to automatically
    >> convert them to DNG files.

    >I didn't know that Bridge could do that. I'll have to try it out.

    It's part of the Adobe Photo Downloader. When you click File>Get
    Photos From Camera (or SD card) or the camera icon on the tool bar in
    Bridge, the pop-up has a box that says "Convert to DNG". If you
    check it, it becomes the default.

    My Bridge is set to use the Adobe Photo Downloader whenever I insert
    an SD card in my card reader. Click "Yes" once on the pop-up and that
    becomes the default.

    Scott Kelby's books advise doing this.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida