Re: DNG - anyone using it instead of RAW?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 18, 2011.

  1. On Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:53:24 AM UTC-5, Troy Piggins wrote:

    > I think I'll be sticking with LR for quite some time. Finding
    > I'm getting better at editing less because it's right in-camera
    > more these days. I rarely use PhotoShop now, just for the very
    > intensive astrophotography processing. If I need to edit an
    > image in PS these days, it's probably because I really stuffed it
    > at image capture time and I'll likely not really be happy with
    > the shot anyway. What a snob, eh? :)

    Well, I think you're not realizing the full potential of your
    photos, anyway. The raw file is the score, the print is the
    performance -- to update the old quote for digital.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 18, 2011

  2. David Dyer-Bennet

    me Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 06:55:03 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    >On Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:53:24 AM UTC-5, Troy Piggins wrote:
    >
    >> I think I'll be sticking with LR for quite some time. Finding
    >> I'm getting better at editing less because it's right in-camera
    >> more these days. I rarely use PhotoShop now, just for the very
    >> intensive astrophotography processing. If I need to edit an
    >> image in PS these days, it's probably because I really stuffed it
    >> at image capture time and I'll likely not really be happy with
    >> the shot anyway. What a snob, eh? :)

    >Well, I think you're not realizing the full potential of your
    >photos, anyway. The raw file is the score, the print is the
    >performance -- to update the old quote for digital.

    But there are other apps than PS to print from. In fact some may say
    there are better apps than PS to print from.
    me, Apr 18, 2011

  3. On 4/18/11 PDT 12:54 PM, me wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 06:55:03 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:53:24 AM UTC-5, Troy Piggins wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think I'll be sticking with LR for quite some time. Finding
    >>> I'm getting better at editing less because it's right in-camera
    >>> more these days. I rarely use PhotoShop now, just for the very
    >>> intensive astrophotography processing. If I need to edit an
    >>> image in PS these days, it's probably because I really stuffed it
    >>> at image capture time and I'll likely not really be happy with
    >>> the shot anyway. What a snob, eh? :)

    >> Well, I think you're not realizing the full potential of your
    >> photos, anyway. The raw file is the score, the print is the
    >> performance -- to update the old quote for digital.

    > But there are other apps than PS to print from. In fact some may say
    > there are better apps than PS to print from.

    On usenet some will say anything.
    John McWilliams, Apr 19, 2011
  4. David Dyer-Bennet

    me Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 17:32:01 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >On 4/18/11 PDT 12:54 PM, me wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 06:55:03 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Well, I think you're not realizing the full potential of your
    >>> photos, anyway. The raw file is the score, the print is the
    >>> performance -- to update the old quote for digital.

    >> But there are other apps than PS to print from. In fact some may say
    >> there are better apps than PS to print from.

    >On usenet some will say anything.

    What do you disagree with in this statement. I and others have been
    using apps such as Qimage to print from for many years.
    me, Apr 19, 2011