Re: DNG and compression

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sachin Garg, Jun 15, 2008.

  1. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> I thought that DNG files were always compressed, but just learned that
    >> DNGs of the Pentax K20D and Samsung K20D are not compressed. Can they be
    >> compressed with the Adobe DNG converter?

    > The DNG Converter that I have (Adobe) on WinXP and Mac Leopard has a
    > non-compressed and a lossless-compressed mode.
    >
    > In the lossless-compressed mode, DNG's are slightly more compressed than
    > the OEM raw of Nikon, Canon and Minolta/Sony. (typically: 10 - 15%).
    >
    > I'm not sure if you can use the general utility (DNG Converter) to take
    > the Pentax DNG and convert it to DNG with compression. The converter is
    > available for free from Adobe.
    >
    > DNG is not primarily (or even secondarily) about compression but about
    > archiving in a non OEM format. Adobe are now making DNG into an ISO
    > standard. (Will take years to sort out).

    DNG is good for what its worth, but its compression isn't too good. So if
    you are converting to DNG just for compression and would rather want to
    preserve your original raw (and with better compression), you might want to
    hang on a little.

    I have been working on a compression tool for raw formats which preserves
    the original raw file (totally lossless). I released demo tool working on
    nikon and fuji formats a few months ago

    http://www.sachingarg.com/compression/sgraw

    I have it working on almost 'all' raw formats now and plan to release it
    soon :)

    Sachin Garg [India]
    www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info
    Sachin Garg, Jun 15, 2008

  2. Sachin Garg

    > Sachin Garg wrote:
    >> "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    >>> DNG is not primarily (or even secondarily) about compression but about
    >>> archiving in a non OEM format.

    >> DNG is good for what its worth, but its compression isn't too good. So if

    > What part of
    >
    > "DNG is not primarily (or even secondarily) about
    > compression but about archiving in a non OEM
    > format."
    >
    > confused you

    I am not disagreeing with you, just wanted to 'add' that if OPs reason is
    just saving space, there is an alternate under construction. As it preserves
    the original file, it might work better for some.

    > to the point of spamming the newsgroup?

    My sincere apologies if my message was spamish.

    Sachin Garg, Jun 17, 2008

  3. Sachin Garg

    John Turco Guest

    Sachin Garg wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > I have been working on a compression tool for raw formats which preserves
    > the original raw file (totally lossless). I released demo tool working on
    > nikon and fuji formats a few months ago
    >
    > http://www.sachingarg.com/compression/sgraw
    >
    > I have it working on almost 'all' raw formats now and plan to release it
    > soon :)

    Hello, Sachin:

    Will your utility work with Kodak's Raw files (.KDC)?

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Jun 20, 2008
  4. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > Sachin Garg wrote:
    >
    > <edited for brevity>
    >
    >> I have been working on a compression tool for raw formats which preserves
    >> the original raw file (totally lossless). I released demo tool working on
    >> nikon and fuji formats a few months ago
    >>
    >> http://www.sachingarg.com/compression/sgraw
    >>
    >> I have it working on almost 'all' raw formats now and plan to release it
    >> soon :)

    > Hello, Sachin:
    >
    > Will your utility work with Kodak's Raw files (.KDC)?

    Yes, it will.

    Sachin Garg, Jun 20, 2008
  5. Sachin Garg

    John Turco Guest

    Sachin Garg wrote:

    > "John Turco" <> wrote in message
    > > Sachin Garg wrote:
    > >
    > > <edited for brevity>
    > >
    > >> I have been working on a compression tool for raw formats which preserves
    > >> the original raw file (totally lossless). I released demo tool working on
    > >> nikon and fuji formats a few months ago
    > >>
    > >> http://www.sachingarg.com/compression/sgraw
    > >>
    > >> I have it working on almost 'all' raw formats now and plan to release it
    > >> soon :)

    > > Hello, Sachin:
    > >
    > > Will your utility work with Kodak's Raw files (.KDC)?

    > Yes, it will.

    Hello, Sachin:

    Thanks! <g>

    Cordially,