Re: disk wipe---DOD short wipe versus DOD long wipe

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by John O, Jun 3, 2008.

  1. John O

    John O Guest

    "Drew" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All:
    >
    > Does anyone know the difference between the DOD short wip and the DOD
    > long wipe of a hard drive?
    >
    > Is one more preferred than the other to make data from a hard drive
    > unrecoverable?
    >
    > Which one is the actual standard that most techs are doing to wipe a
    > drive?
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts!
    > Drew

    DOD is a waste of time, unless you're wiping the drive for a DOD machine, a
    mob boss, a spy, or a terrorist.

    For the rest of us a single-pass all zeros does the job more than
    adequately. To retrieve the data after that you need to pay big money and
    send the drive to a data recovery company...and get real lucky, too. Fees
    for that start in the thousands and it's not a job anyone can ever do at
    home.

    -John O
    John O, Jun 3, 2008

  2. John O

    Bill Eitner Guest

    John O wrote:
    > "Drew" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All:
    >>
    >> Does anyone know the difference between the DOD short wip and the DOD
    >> long wipe of a hard drive?
    >>
    >> Is one more preferred than the other to make data from a hard drive
    >> unrecoverable?
    >>
    >> Which one is the actual standard that most techs are doing to wipe a
    >> drive?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any thoughts!
    >> Drew

    > DOD is a waste of time, unless you're wiping the drive for a DOD machine, a
    > mob boss, a spy, or a terrorist.
    >
    > For the rest of us a single-pass all zeros does the job more than
    > adequately. To retrieve the data after that you need to pay big money and
    > send the drive to a data recovery company...and get real lucky, too. Fees
    > for that start in the thousands and it's not a job anyone can ever do at
    > home.
    >
    > -John O

    It's interesting to me that something like that (recovery
    of anything after an all-zero pass) is possible at all.
    Bill Eitner, Jun 5, 2008