Re: Dish network to PC connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Keshav Sharma, Mar 17, 2010.

  1. On 3/13/2010 2:23 AM, Ronald Ray Gun wrote:
    > I hope someone can help me out here. I just got the dish network
    > installed with full service. Now I want to connect the system to my
    > PC. The PC is an HP m9100z with dual ntsc tv inputs and tv out.
    > Running on windows Vista Home Premium.
    >
    > The dish system is for a single tv. No dvr. The dish receiver has a
    > usb port for connecting a hard drive directly to it. When I plugged my
    > maxtor into it, I got a "not compatible" message.
    >
    > The TV has all the connectors. From RCA to HDMI.
    > The PC also has HDMI.
    >
    > I tried connecting cable from the receiver to the PC from the TV out
    > on the box but the only thing I got was a white screen.
    >
    > What can I get that will allow my PC to connect to the receiver?

    In dish connections only a single connection are allowed
    either pc or tv

    Keshav Sharma, Mar 17, 2010

  2. Keshav Sharma

    olfart Guest

    "Keshav Sharma" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/13/2010 2:23 AM, Ronald Ray Gun wrote:
    >> I hope someone can help me out here. I just got the dish network
    >> installed with full service. Now I want to connect the system to my
    >> PC. The PC is an HP m9100z with dual ntsc tv inputs and tv out.
    >> Running on windows Vista Home Premium.
    >>
    >> The dish system is for a single tv. No dvr. The dish receiver has a
    >> usb port for connecting a hard drive directly to it. When I plugged my
    >> maxtor into it, I got a "not compatible" message.
    >>
    >> The TV has all the connectors. From RCA to HDMI.
    >> The PC also has HDMI.
    >>
    >> I tried connecting cable from the receiver to the PC from the TV out
    >> on the box but the only thing I got was a white screen.
    >>
    >> What can I get that will allow my PC to connect to the receiver?

    > In dish connections only a single connection are allowed
    > either pc or tv

    Not really true
    check out HAVA at http://www.monsoonmultimedia.com/
    I can watch...and control my Dish... on my computer....at home or anywhere
    in the world that has internet access. Can record programs and and burn
    DVD's of programs too without any DRM limitations

    olfart, Mar 17, 2010

  3. On 3/17/2010 3:21 PM, olfart wrote:
    > "Keshav Sharma"<> wrote in message
    >> On 3/13/2010 2:23 AM, Ronald Ray Gun wrote:
    >>> I hope someone can help me out here. I just got the dish network
    >>> installed with full service. Now I want to connect the system to my
    >>> PC. The PC is an HP m9100z with dual ntsc tv inputs and tv out.
    >>> Running on windows Vista Home Premium.
    >>>
    >>> The dish system is for a single tv. No dvr. The dish receiver has a
    >>> usb port for connecting a hard drive directly to it. When I plugged my
    >>> maxtor into it, I got a "not compatible" message.
    >>>
    >>> The TV has all the connectors. From RCA to HDMI.
    >>> The PC also has HDMI.
    >>>
    >>> I tried connecting cable from the receiver to the PC from the TV out
    >>> on the box but the only thing I got was a white screen.
    >>>
    >>> What can I get that will allow my PC to connect to the receiver?

    >> In dish connections only a single connection are allowed
    >> either pc or tv

    > Not really true
    > check out HAVA at http://www.monsoonmultimedia.com/
    > I can watch...and control my Dish... on my computer....at home or anywhere
    > in the world that has internet access. Can record programs and and burn
    > DVD's of programs too without any DRM limitations

    that's using sling box i guess

    Keshav Sharma, Mar 17, 2010
  4. Keshav Sharma

    > On 3/17/2010 3:21 PM, olfart wrote:
    >> "Keshav Sharma"<> wrote in message

    >>> In dish connections only a single connection are allowed
    >>> either pc or tv

    >> Not really true
    >> check out HAVA at http://www.monsoonmultimedia.com/
    >> I can watch...and control my Dish... on my computer....at home or
    >> anywhere
    >> in the world that has internet access. Can record programs and and burn
    >> DVD's of programs too without any DRM limitations
    >>

    > that's using sling box i guess

    Same general idea, but HAVA has many more features than Slingbox including
    the ability to record and burn DVD's which Slingbox doesn't do. There is
    also a third party prog for HAVA which makes it very easy to schedule future
    programs for recording

    olfart, Mar 17, 2010
  5. Keshav Sharma

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 07:16:55 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:49:33 +0530, Keshav Sharma
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In dish connections only a single connection are allowed
    >>either pc or tv

    >WTF?

    It's wrong, of course. Mine requires a dual connection for the DVR to work
    correctly. And no setup will work hooked up directly to the TV without the
    receiver. Beyond that, I have no idea what the OP was trying to say. If anyone
    figures it out, let me know. ;)

    --
    The sysadmin has graciously deigned not to cast you headlong into a
    pit of rabid wombats. Please bear this in mind when composing your

    Mara, Mar 17, 2010
  6. Keshav Sharma

    olfart Guest

    "Rocky" <> wrote in message

    > "olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>,snip>
    >> >>>>

    >> Same general idea, but HAVA has many more features than Slingbox
    >> including
    >> the ability to record and burn DVD's which Slingbox doesn't do. There is
    >> also a third party prog for HAVA which makes it very easy to schedule

    > future
    >> programs for recording

    > them the same way I would.

    > <snip>
    > Now to the current post.
    >
    > Best Buy let their Hava boxes go for about half price in September of last
    > year and I got one at that time.
    >
    > Yes the HAVA "has many more features than Slingbox" and the main features
    > are 1. the "ability to record" 2. Watch one HAVA box on multiple laptops.
    >
    > But once you watch it in more than one place you can't change channels or
    > record so that doesn't do much good.
    >
    > Then if you do not use itunes.com you have to use their player to play the
    > videos back and the best the HAVA can record in is DVR quality so screw
    > the
    > 1080 stuff.
    >
    > Plus the HAVA player for a mobile phone sucks big time because it is stop
    > and go all the time even when you are connected via WiFi. Their mobile
    > player is almost worthless and when I called them about it they told me
    > that
    > their priority is the desktop player.

    Good information.
    HAVA works fine for what I want. So I'm satisfied
    It doesn't work for what you want. So you aren't

    "you pays your money and you takes your choice"

    olfart, Mar 19, 2010
  7. Keshav Sharma

    Rocky Guest

    On Mar 19, 8:14 am, "Rocky" <> wrote:
    > "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > > "Keshav Sharma" <> wrote in message

    > my

    > > > that's using sling box i guess

    > > Same general idea, but HAVA has many more features than Slingbox including
    > > the ability to record and burn DVD's which Slingbox doesn't do. There is
    > > also a third party prog for HAVA which makes it very easy to schedule

    > future
    > > programs for recording

    > First to the OP
    > I myself am looking into ways to connect a Dish network to a PC to move
    > recorded programs around and I might need a removable USB HD.  I've looked
    > at the manual and it says you can play them on an ARCHOS player but they
    > didn't specify which ARCHOS player since there are quite a few ARCHOS
    > players and the one I have is ancient.
    >
    > BTW the online manual for the 722k found at:http://dishnetwork.com/support/documents/receivers/default.aspx
    >
    > is missing pages 11-70.  Page 15 is where it tells you how to get the PIP
    > working so their online manual didn't do me any good and when I called to
    > complain about that I ended up being told if I want the complete manual on
    > my computer I have to scan it in myself.  There is obviously a nasty rift
    > between Dish Network tech support and their website and I've been told that
    > if tech support wants changes done to their website they have to contact
    > them the same way I would.

    I just finished the one time activation so now I can use a USB HD with
    my DVR so I should know more pretty soon.

    BTW I also found there is a second way to download a manual for the
    722k and that is to log into your account. That manual you download
    after logging in is bigger the the one above and it isn't missing any
    pages but the pages are slightly out of order.

    Rocky, Apr 3, 2010
  8. Keshav Sharma

    Rocky Guest

    On Mar 19, 8:26 am, "olfart" <> wrote:
    > "Rocky" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Then if you do not use itunes.com you have to use their player to play the
    > > videos back and the best the HAVA can record in is DVR quality so screw
    > > the
    > > 1080 stuff.

    > Good information.
    > HAVA works fine for what I want. So I'm satisfied
    > It doesn't work for what you want. So you aren't

    I finally got around to installing itunes so I could export videos and
    found out that when it exports videos it converts them from 720x480 to
    320x240 and ends up changing the aspect ratio at the same time.

    After it changes the aspect ratio it makes people and faces look
    thinner than they did in the original video. I hope there is an easy
    fix for that but I haven't found one yet.

    Plus, my mp4 player has a 640x480 screen so it shrinks the videos way
    further than I want them shrunk when it changes the aspect ratio of
    the video.

    BTW after messing with both the Slingplayer and the HAVA player I
    favor an older version of the Slingplayer for my phone and the HAVA
    player seems to work best on my laptop.

    Rocky

    Rocky, Apr 5, 2010