Re: Disgusted

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Oct 17, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "Jane_Galt" <> wrote in

    > We finally got around to having the RAM mount installed in the '02
    > Corolla, for the Dell E6400 core duo, and tried it this afternoon.
    >
    > It turns out to take up all the space between the passenger and the
    > steering wheel, making it hard to drive, get to the A/C controls,
    > drinks, use the steering wheel etc.
    >
    > We're disgusted and now we gotta figure out something else.
    >
    > And of course we wont be able to sell it for half of what we paid.

    Assuming some cop just doesn't impound your vehicle for being illegal
    now.

    You're an idiot and not just that, a *dangerous* one.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 17, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 01:08:42 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Assuming some cop just doesn't impound your vehicle for being illegal
    >>now.
    >>
    >>You're an idiot and not just that, a *dangerous* one.

    > Mounting a laptop in a vehicle is not illegal.

    It sure the hell it - in the front seat that is. In a private vehicle.
    Right along with mounting a DVD screen in the front.

    You don't even have your driver's licence do you?

    > USING it while driving
    > is another story, but simply having it mounted is not illegal.

    LOL. Completely clueless as usual.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 17, 2010

  3. chuckcar

    Mike Yetto Guest

    chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 01:08:42 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Assuming some cop just doesn't impound your vehicle for being illegal
    >>>now.
    >>>
    >>>You're an idiot and not just that, a *dangerous* one.

    >> Mounting a laptop in a vehicle is not illegal.

    >It sure the hell it - in the front seat that is. In a private vehicle.
    >Right along with mounting a DVD screen in the front.

    I can't answer for any other state, but in New York it is legal
    to have a "Portable electronic device" in the car, but it is not
    legal for the driver to use it while the car is moving.

    >You don't even have your driver's licence do you?

    >> USING it while driving
    >> is another story, but simply having it mounted is not illegal.
    >>

    >LOL. Completely clueless as usual.

    Check Article 33 Section 1225-D of the New York State Vehicle and
    Traffic Laws or the equivalent in other states.

    Mike "should be easy to find" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Oct 17, 2010
  4. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>> Mounting a laptop in a vehicle is not illegal.

    >>It sure the hell it - in the front seat that is. In a private vehicle.
    >>Right along with mounting a DVD screen in the front.

    > I can't answer for any other state, but in New York it is legal
    > to have a "Portable electronic device" in the car, but it is not
    > legal for the driver to use it while the car is moving.

    Which is *precisely* what these twits *want* to do. And BTW there are
    plenty of juridictions where you can't have a DVD player - never mind a
    bloody laptop - in the front at *all*. Give me one good reason why
    anyone would mount a laptop in the front otherwise.

    >>> USING it while driving
    >>> is another story, but simply having it mounted is not illegal.
    >>>

    >>LOL. Completely clueless as usual.

    > Check Article 33 Section 1225-D of the New York State Vehicle and
    > Traffic Laws or the equivalent in other states.

    I don't *live* in NY state, and neither does this Galt twit I'd wager.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 18, 2010
  5. chuckTard wrote:

    > I don't *live* in NY state,

    I am soooooooo happy for that!!!

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 18, 2010
  6. chuckcar

    Mike Yetto Guest

    chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >> chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>>Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>>It sure the hell it - in the front seat that is. In a private vehicle.
    >>>Right along with mounting a DVD screen in the front.

    >> I can't answer for any other state, but in New York it is legal
    >> to have a "Portable electronic device" in the car, but it is not
    >> legal for the driver to use it while the car is moving.
    >>

    >Which is *precisely* what these twits *want* to do. And BTW there are
    >plenty of juridictions where you can't have a DVD player - never mind a
    >bloody laptop - in the front at *all*. Give me one good reason why
    >anyone would mount a laptop in the front otherwise.

    You have been given two instances where the state law allows such
    devices in the front seat, but not use by the driver while the
    car is moving.

    >>>LOL. Completely clueless as usual.

    >> Check Article 33 Section 1225-D of the New York State Vehicle and
    >> Traffic Laws or the equivalent in other states.
    >>

    >I don't *live* in NY state, and neither does this Galt twit I'd wager.

    Which is why I suggested checking the equivalent in other states.
    Go to any state site and look for "Laws" follow that to "Vehicle
    and Traffic" or some similar wording and finally look for "Rules
    of the Road". This should work in Canada as well, unless your
    laws are state secrets.

    You won't make it that far, but the OP should follow that path
    before getting caught using a PC while driving.

    Mike "maybe you can get RtS to read it to you" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Oct 18, 2010
  7. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>Which is *precisely* what these twits *want* to do. And BTW there are
    >>plenty of juridictions where you can't have a DVD player - never mind
    >>a bloody laptop - in the front at *all*. Give me one good reason why
    >>anyone would mount a laptop in the front otherwise.

    > You have been given two instances where the state law allows such
    > devices in the front seat, but not use by the driver while the
    > car is moving.

    Which obviously isn't the case here. They want to use the laptop *while*
    the car is in motion.

    This *isn't* anywhere near a new thread BTW, it goes back months. Try
    this message-id. It's her orginal post on the idea.

    Back in march. And she's been arguing with anyone who's said it's a bad
    idea ever since.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 18, 2010
  8. chuckcar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:23:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Mike Yetto <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>>Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>>Which is *precisely* what these twits *want* to do. And BTW there are
    >>>plenty of juridictions where you can't have a DVD player - never mind a
    >>>bloody laptop - in the front at *all*. Give me one good reason why
    >>>anyone would mount a laptop in the front otherwise.

    >> You have been given two instances where the state law allows such
    >> devices in the front seat, but not use by the driver while the car is
    >> moving.
    >>

    > Which obviously isn't the case here. They want to use the laptop *while*
    > the car is in motion.
    >
    > This *isn't* anywhere near a new thread BTW, it goes back months. Try
    > this message-id. It's her orginal post on the idea.

    > Back in march. And she's been arguing with anyone who's said it's a bad
    > idea ever since.

    I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
    be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    Meat Plow, Oct 18, 2010
  9. On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:46:42 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:23:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Yetto <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> You have been given two instances where the state law allows such
    >>> devices in the front seat, but not use by the driver while the car is
    >>> moving.
    >>>

    >> Which obviously isn't the case here. They want to use the laptop *while*
    >> the car is in motion.
    >>
    >> This *isn't* anywhere near a new thread BTW, it goes back months. Try
    >> this message-id. It's her orginal post on the idea.

    >> Back in march. And she's been arguing with anyone who's said it's a bad
    >> idea ever since.

    >I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
    >be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    Is the display even daylight viewable?

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 18, 2010
  10. chuckcar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:02:32 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:46:42 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:23:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>> Which obviously isn't the case here. They want to use the laptop
    >>> *while* the car is in motion.
    >>>
    >>> This *isn't* anywhere near a new thread BTW, it goes back months. Try
    >>> this message-id. It's her orginal post on the idea.

    >>> Back in march. And she's been arguing with anyone who's said it's a
    >>> bad idea ever since.

    >>I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
    >>be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    > Is the display even daylight viewable?

    Absolutely. What makes you think it wouldn't be?

    Meat Plow, Oct 18, 2010
  11. On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:11:49 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:02:32 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:46:42 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
    >>>be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    >> Is the display even daylight viewable?

    >Absolutely. What makes you think it wouldn't be?

    The overwhelming majority are not.

    How many nits?

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 18, 2010
  12. chuckcar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:26:12 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:11:49 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:02:32 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:

    >>> Is the display even daylight viewable?

    >>Absolutely. What makes you think it wouldn't be?

    > The overwhelming majority are not.
    >
    > How many nits?

    I'd say the majority of laptop screens are viewable inside a vehicle. And
    owning a couple Tom Tom units with 3.5 inch screens I'd say they are no
    brighter than a laptop screen.

    Meat Plow, Oct 18, 2010
  13. On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:34:14 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:26:12 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:11:49 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Absolutely. What makes you think it wouldn't be?

    >> The overwhelming majority are not.
    >>
    >> How many nits?

    >I'd say the majority of laptop screens are viewable inside a vehicle. And
    >owning a couple Tom Tom units with 3.5 inch screens I'd say they are no
    >brighter than a laptop screen.

    There is a huge difference between "inside a vehicle" and "on the
    dashboard".

    So, I'll ask again. Is it truly daylight viewable, and how many NITS?

    As a quick test, take your Tom Tom and Laptop outside and see how they
    compare in direct daylight. Making a display daylight viewable is
    expensive. A daylight viewable 3.5 inch screen would be MUCH cheaper
    than a daylight viewable laptop screen.

    Laptops tend to be well under 500 NITS. You need at LEAST 1500 NITS to
    start calling a display "daylight viewable". That would be a bare
    minimum.

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Oct 18, 2010
  14. chuckcar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:03:38 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:34:14 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:26:12 -0400, BinaryBillTheSailor wrote:

    >>> The overwhelming majority are not.
    >>>
    >>> How many nits?

    >>I'd say the majority of laptop screens are viewable inside a vehicle.
    >>And owning a couple Tom Tom units with 3.5 inch screens I'd say they are
    >>no brighter than a laptop screen.

    > There is a huge difference between "inside a vehicle" and "on the
    > dashboard".
    >
    > So, I'll ask again. Is it truly daylight viewable, and how many NITS?
    >
    > As a quick test, take your Tom Tom and Laptop outside and see how they
    > compare in direct daylight. Making a display daylight viewable is
    > expensive. A daylight viewable 3.5 inch screen would be MUCH cheaper
    > than a daylight viewable laptop screen.
    >
    > Laptops tend to be well under 500 NITS. You need at LEAST 1500 NITS to
    > start calling a display "daylight viewable". That would be a bare
    > minimum.

    It's viewable inside the cabin on the dash with little to no difference
    in brightness and contrast to the Tom Tom. My reference to a dash-mount
    did not make mention to any particular place on the dash however I would
    not mount a laptop in the area used to view the road. Since the GPS is at
    the end of a USB cable my choice of mounting would be somewhere above the
    center console level with the middle of the dash. My vehicle (SUV)
    windows are all factory tinted. The front three are dark but do not hide
    the interior. The back windows are all tinted black from the factory and
    hide the interior. This reduces the overall ambient lighting to the
    interior considerably even in bright sunlight.

    Meat Plow, Oct 18, 2010
  15. chuckcar

    n0i Guest

    On 10/18/2010 1:46 PM, Meat Plow wrote:
    <snip>
    > I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
    > be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    Depends on the screensaver And background images... :)

    n0i

    n0i, Oct 18, 2010
  16. chuckcar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:47:13 -0400, n0i wrote:

    > On 10/18/2010 1:46 PM, Meat Plow wrote: <snip>
    >> I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen.
    >> Would be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    > Depends on the screensaver And background images... :)
    >
    > n0i

    You know i didn't think of that.

    Meat Plow, Oct 19, 2010
  17. chuckcar

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 10/18/2010 10:32 PM Just to please that super-ego, Jane_Galt wrote
    the following tidbit of information:
    > Meat Plow<> wrote :
    >
    >> I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
    >> be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    > All these tyrants without lives, wanting to dictate to everyone how to do
    > everything, and even what kind of toilet paper they must use.
    >
    > I can mount the LT wherever the hell I want and no one will bother me, as
    > long as I drive safely. Zig heil to all you marxist/fascists out there.

    You tell em honey, I'm going to bed.

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Oct 19, 2010
  18. chuckcar

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Meat Plow <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:23:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    >> Mike Yetto <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> You have been given two instances where the state law allows such
    >>> devices in the front seat, but not use by the driver while the car is
    >>> moving.
    >>>

    >> Which obviously isn't the case here. They want to use the laptop *while*
    >> the car is in motion.
    >>
    >> This *isn't* anywhere near a new thread BTW, it goes back months. Try
    >> this message-id. It's her orginal post on the idea.

    >> Back in march. And she's been arguing with anyone who's said it's a bad
    >> idea ever since.

    >I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
    >be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    Probably. In New York, at least, if the device is in a position
    to be used by the driver while the car is in motion the
    assumption is that it is being used. I wouldn't be surprised to
    find the same assumption in the laws of other states.

    You could argue that you are using it as a GPS, but the burden of
    proof would be on you.

    Mike "not to mention the effect of a sharp right turn" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Oct 19, 2010
  19. chuckcar

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Jane_Galt <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Meat Plow <> wrote :

    >> I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen. Would
    >> be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    >All these tyrants without lives, wanting to dictate to everyone how to do
    >everything, and even what kind of toilet paper they must use.

    >I can mount the LT wherever the hell I want and no one will bother me, as
    >long as I drive safely. Zig heil to all you marxist/fascists out there.

    You have been given some good advice here, including advice on
    possible legal ramifications of doing what you want. If all you
    can do is repeat what *you* want to do and how the rest of us are
    "marxist/fascists" (opposing ideologies, by the way) then go ahead
    and mount anything anywhere you like. I have a suggestion, but
    why bother?

    Mike "oh, and Godwin's Law" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Oct 19, 2010
  20. chuckcar

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:32:44 -0500, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote :
    >
    >> I sometimes use my Dell Mini netbook as a GPS with a 10.1" screen.
    >> Would be nice to have a dash mount. Is that a bad idea?

    > All these tyrants without lives, wanting to dictate to everyone how to
    > do everything, and even what kind of toilet paper they must use.
    >
    > I can mount the LT wherever the hell I want and no one will bother me,
    > as long as I drive safely. Zig heil to all you marxist/fascists out
    > there.

    When push comes to shove you'll do what you want. Hopefully you will have
    the common sense not to endanger yourself or others. After driving down
    the road and watching several young girls and boys texting while driving
    one can only have hope.

    Meat Plow, Oct 19, 2010