Re: Disaster Recovery

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. We do this often: We take a Server class DC and restore it to a PC and it
    works perfectly. Takes about 1 hour when you understand all of it. If you
    want more details please email me.

    When you are finished with the installation of the server create a folder on
    the desktop called Backup.
    Copy these files to this folder:
    C:\boot.ini
    C:\Winnt\System32\hal.dll
    C:\Winnt\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Note: After you push the restore to this server you will replace these
    files with what you have in the backup folder BEFORE REBOOTING THE
    SERVER!!!!!!!!

    3. Restore Data: Make sure you have the Backup Folder on your desktop
    before proceeding.
    Reboot Server and Press F8 For troubleshooting and advanced startup options
    for Windows 2000 when you see Starting Windows 2000.
    Arrow down to Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows 2000 domain
    controllers only) option.
    Press Enter for this option.

    Log into Windows and Click on OK to the message you are in Safe Mode.

    Restoring Data: From the ArcServe Server
    Open BrightStor Manager.
    Click on Manager in the top tool bar then choose Restore
    Under the Source Tab Click the arrow down and choose Restore by session.
    Locate the session server backup is on and select C:\, F:\, G:\, and System
    State. Whatever drives you had configured.
     Note: This next step is critical.
    For System State; Right Click and choose Local Options. Then check the top
    Option which is Make the Restored Copy of the Active Directory Authoritative.

    After you run the restore you will see a cmd window come up on the new
    server which looks like the one in CA’s Article 1004 Titled; Recovering
    Active Directory with BrightStor ARCserve Backup 9.0., page 4 of 5. The
    Ntdsutil will say failed. This is ok.

    Note: DO NOT REBOOT THE SERVER.
    Now you must replace the files that you have in the Backup Folder on your
    desktop with the ones in the corresponding directories. The boot.ini, hal.dll
    and ntoskrnl.exe.
    Now you can Reboot the server. This may take some time to get to a log on
    screen.

    4. Configuring the Server to be ^^ Domain Controller. Steps A - F
    Once you log in; if the system wants to reboot DO NOT reboot yet.
    Open a Command Prompt and type net share <Enter>
    Look to see if you have Sysvol shared.

    If this folder is not shared we need to do the following: Will Call this
    Step A.

    Step A:
    Stop the File Replication Service in Services.

    Open C:\Winnt\Sysvol\Domain Folder. In this folder will be
    NtFrs_PreExisting_See_EventLog folder. In that folder will be 2 additional
    folders; Policies Folder and Scripts Folder. Copy these 2 folders; Policies
    and Scripts up to C:\Winnt\Sysvol\Domain.

    Run Regedt32:
    Open the following Registry Key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTFRS\Paramaters\Backup/Restore\Process.
    Change BurFlags Key to D4 and Choose Hex. Will change to 0xd4.

    Start the File Replication Service.
    Completed Step A.
    Wait for a minute and run Net share again from a command prompt to see if
    Sysvol is shared; if this folder is not shared yet wait additional time until
    this folder is shared; then continue with the additional steps. You can also
    look in the event viewer under File Replication Service Event for Event ID
    13516.

    Step B:
    Edit the NIC Card and check to see if the IP is correct. For this server it
    is X.X.X.X. If the server is set for DHCP then you have another NIC
    installed that you cannot see. Do the following.

    Run cmd
    Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=#1 <Enter>
    Type start devmgmt.msc <Enter>

    Click on View and Select Show hidden devices
    Uninstall NIC under Network adapters. Right Click and choose uninstall.
    This will be the ghost like adapter.
    Now you can change the NIC to the IP it was.
    Wait until you see Sysvol shared by running Net share from a command prompt.
    Completed Step B.

    Step C: DNS Insert the Windows 2000 Server CD before performing this step.
    Run MMC and try to add the DNS snapin. If you do not see DNS as an option
    you will need to install DNS. Right Click on My Network Places on the
    Desktop and select Properties. Click on Advanced then Choose Optional
    Networking Components. Highlight Networking Services and then check DNS and
    Click Next. You will need the Windows 2000 CD to do this step. This will
    install DNS.
    Run MMC and add the DNS Snapin. Right Click on Forward Lookup Zones under
    Server Name. Choose New Zone. Choose Standard Primary. Call it ^^.com and
    Click Next. Choose Use this existing file and type ^^.dns. Click on Finish.

    Now you added the Standard Primary Zone.
    Completed Step C.

    Step D: Seize Roles. Keep in the 2000 Server CD.
    Install Support tools. Browse the Windows 2000 CD to D:\support\tools and
    run Setup.exe. Typical.
    From a Command prompt:
    Type: Netdom query fsmo <Enter>
    You will see all roles.

    Type the following below and wait for the command line to appear after each
    step:
    Type: Ntdsutil
    Type: Roles
    Type: C
    Type: Connect to server Wait for it to bind
    Type: Q
    Type: Seize schema master Wait If this does not work make sure you typed
    in q as in above step.
    Type: Seize domain naming master Wait
    Type: Seize infrastructure master Wait
    Type: Seize rid master Wait
    Type: Seize pdc Wait

    Type: q Again and again until you are back at a command prompt.
    Type: Netdom query fsmo <Enter>
    You will see all roles.
    Completed Step D.

    Step E. Removing all other Domain Controllers from AD.
    Start Run adsiedit.msc.
    Go to the following Key.
    Domain NC [^^.com]
    DC^^^,DC=com
    OU=Domain Controllers
    Delete All servers under here except server you are working with
    Note: You will need to delete each server 2 times.

    CN=System
    CN=File Replication Service
    CN=Domain System Volume (sysvol share)
    Delete all but Server working with

    Now go to this key:
    Configuration Container [Server Name[
    CN=Configuration,DC=^^DC=com
    CN=sites
    Expand each and delete the servers under the site name. READ EXAMPLE BELOW:
    Example: CN=^^
    You will delete ^^ and ^^ leaving the Primary location and Servers Keys.
    Completed Step E.

    Reboot the Server and you are ready to add users and computers.

    Step F. DHCP.
    I ran the following before backing up the Original Server:
    Netsh dhcp dump > C:\winnt\system32\dhcp\dhcpconfig.txt

    This dumped the entire configuration of DHCP while it was online to a text
    file. Now we backup C:\winnt\system32\dhcp with our normal backup.

    On the restored DC install DHCP Service.
    Right Click on My Network Places on the Desktop and select Properties.
    Click on Advanced then Choose Optional Networking Components. Highlight
    Networking Services and then check DHCP and Click Next. You will need the
    Windows 2000 CD to do this step. This will install DHCP.

    Run MMC and add the DHCP Snap-in. Activate DHCP and run the following
    command:

    Netsh exec C:\winnt\system32\dhcp\dhcpconfig.txt

    This will rebuild the entire DHCP configuration minus the leases.
    Completed Step F.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?=, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Thanks Kevin,

    I have printed this out and will try it.

    Regards,

    Slarty Bartfast

    Slart Bartfast, Jul 8, 2005