Re: Disappointing 10d results

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by HRosita, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. HRosita

    HRosita Guest

    >Ted Rogers wrote:

    >Firstly,
    >I should get out of the habit of thinking of the 10D as a 'point and shoot'
    >camera. It definitely needs more care in assessing the surroundings,
    >subject, ambient lighting etc. almost for each frame.

    Hi,

    I don't have a DSLR but this statement does not quite seem right. While the
    Canon 10D is not a point and shoot by deffinition, it should take good pictures
    when set on auto in normal situations.
    I would have it checked by Canon.
    I don't own one myself but have seen some stunners taken with thie D60 and the
    10D.

    Rosita
    HRosita, Sep 1, 2003

  2. HRosita

    Ted Rogers Guest

    "HRosita" <> wrote in message
    > >Ted Rogers wrote:

    > >Firstly,
    > >I should get out of the habit of thinking of the 10D as a 'point and

    shoot'
    > >camera. It definitely needs more care in assessing the surroundings,
    > >subject, ambient lighting etc. almost for each frame.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't have a DSLR but this statement does not quite seem right. While

    the
    > Canon 10D is not a point and shoot by deffinition, it should take good

    pictures
    > when set on auto in normal situations.
    > I would have it checked by Canon.
    > I don't own one myself but have seen some stunners taken with thie D60 and

    the
    > 10D.
    >
    > Rosita

    Hi Rosita

    If you have seen some of my previous threads you will understand my
    reluctance to take that course of action!

    Best wishes

    Ted
    Ted Rogers, Sep 1, 2003

  3. HRosita

    Guest

    In message <>,
    et (HRosita) wrote:

    >I don't have a DSLR but this statement does not quite seem right. While the
    >Canon 10D is not a point and shoot by deffinition, it should take good pictures
    >when set on auto in normal situations.
    >I would have it checked by Canon.
    >I don't own one myself but have seen some stunners taken with thie D60 and the
    >10D.

    The 10D actually does a pretty poor job of auto-exposing certain types
    of scenes. You *must* use the exposure compensation wheel for certain
    shots, or they will be washed out, or, you must use exposure lock, but
    that requires pressing a button and only lasts a few seconds, so I find
    it inconvenient.

    There should be an "expose for highlights" metering mode, that tries to
    put the whitest parts of the scene at about 250,250,250, ignoring small
    pinpoints of brighness (just looking for large areas).
    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    , Sep 1, 2003