Re: disappearing swap file

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Oct 10, 2009.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Periproct" <> wrote in message
    > Having a load of hard disks spare I decided to try the following:-
    >
    > 120G SATA for the operating system
    > 35G SATA for the swap file
    > 320G SATA for applications
    > plus a couple of PATA for storage
    > (Windows XP)
    > I thought that would be 'a good thing' for reliability and performance.
    >
    > The PC started running a CHKDSK type check on the 35G on every start-up
    > but didn't report any errors. The PC is taking an age to start up and I
    > discovered I had no swap file. Simple workaround would be to move the
    > swapfile to one of the other hard disks which I did and got the prompt to
    > restart the PC but every time it restarts I'm back to no swapfile
    > whichever disk I choose to use.
    >
    > The PC is full of software and I'd normally accept it is time for a format
    > and reinstall but I'd like to crack this problem. Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards

    What are you doing that you need a 35gb swap file ?
    How much memory in the box ?
    When you say no swapfile - so you HAD set it to D and after reboot,chksk,
    you check and it shows default settings for C: ?
    Put XP on Autosize for swap file on C - do your 'normal routine' and check
    to see - how much swap space did you max out at. If only a small amount then
    maybe drive might not be needed /being used. How about power settings ?
    Might it be that you are not doing much, so do not need access to the drive.
    Power settings spins the drive down and never needed again. You shutdown
    and - drive "was not dismounted properly " so runs chkdsk.

    - Bobb -, Oct 10, 2009