Re: disappearing swap file

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sandy58, Oct 1, 2009.

  1. sandy58

    sandy58 Guest

    On Sep 30, 5:07 pm, "Periproct" <> wrote:
    > Having a load of hard disks spare I decided to try the following:-
    >
    > 120G SATA for the operating system
    > 35G SATA for the swap file
    > 320G SATA for applications
    > plus a couple of PATA for storage
    > (Windows XP)
    > I thought that would be 'a good thing' for reliability and performance.
    >
    > The PC started running a CHKDSK type check on the 35G on every start-up but
    > didn't report any errors. The PC is taking an age to start up and I
    > discovered I had no swap file. Simple workaround would be to move the
    > swapfile to one of the other hard disks which I did and got the prompt to
    > restart the PC but every time it restarts I'm back to no swapfile whichever
    > disk I choose to use.
    >
    > The PC is full of software and I'd normally accept it is time for a format
    > and reinstall but I'd like to crack this problem. Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards

    So you are trying to run applications from a separate hdd than your
    OS? Good luck.

    sandy58, Oct 1, 2009

  2. sandy58

    JD Guest

    Periproct wrote:
    > "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 30, 5:07 pm, "Periproct" <> wrote:
    >> Having a load of hard disks spare I decided to try the following:-
    >>
    >> 120G SATA for the operating system
    >> 35G SATA for the swap file
    >> 320G SATA for applications
    >> plus a couple of PATA for storage
    >> (Windows XP)
    >> I thought that would be 'a good thing' for reliability and performance.
    >>
    >> The PC started running a CHKDSK type check on the 35G on every start-up
    >> but
    >> didn't report any errors. The PC is taking an age to start up and I
    >> discovered I had no swap file. Simple workaround would be to move the
    >> swapfile to one of the other hard disks which I did and got the prompt to
    >> restart the PC but every time it restarts I'm back to no swapfile
    >> whichever
    >> disk I choose to use.
    >>
    >> The PC is full of software and I'd normally accept it is time for a format
    >> and reinstall but I'd like to crack this problem. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Regards

    > So you are trying to run applications from a separate hdd than your
    > OS? Good luck.
    >
    > I've been running like that for a couple of years I guess. Every app has
    > worked OK apart from MS Office which, if I remember correctly, insisted on
    > the C drive. (I was in a hurry and didn't persevere).
    > Apart from the disappearing swap file, my only problem is software bloat.
    > With the amount of stuff I chuck on the PC I expect to do a full reinstall
    > every couple of years anyway.

    Hi

    I was using 4GB I-Ram for swap when I was using XP (using win7 now).
    if I remember correctly the best way to do this was to leave a small
    amount of swap on your actual main drive and add in a second swap drive,
    this is not what I was doing however I would use NO Page file on the C:
    drive and add the full 4GB (well 3.8gb once formatted) of the I-ram in
    as the swap.

    As for the swap disappearing and the checkdisk, was the drive formatted
    as FAT32 or NTFS, as fat drives get checked on every startup and that
    might be your problem. Also FAT drives dont have the security bits that
    NTFS has (group/owner etc) so the page file might have owner permissions
    that may be causing the problems (that's just a total guess tho)

    Good luck
    JD

    JD, Oct 1, 2009

  3. sandy58

    JD Guest

    Periproct wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. Off to work shortly but I'll look into that in the
    > morning.
    > I was thinking of using a solid state disk for the swap file but they seem
    > just a shade too expensive at the moment.

    No problem.

    Been looking at the solid state drive's myself they are a bit pricey
    when you compare them to SATA drives £96 for a 64GB Solid state drive
    you could buy 2x 1TB SATAII drive's for the same price, but I hear they
    are amazing on performance, probably similar to the Gigabit I-Ram I
    mentioned in the previous post, its a PCI board that takes 4x 1GB DDR
    ram modules and is used as a hard drive (battery backed up) I did
    install XP on it and it was instantaneous on loading it just wasn't big
    enough to use practically tho.

    A better upgrade for performance would be to install more ram, DDRII ram
    is cheap you could get 8GB of ram for the same price as the Solid state
    drive, of coarse you would need to run a 64 bit OS to use that amount of
    ram but it would erase your Swap problem.

    JD

    JD, Oct 1, 2009