    I'm a bit of a newbie at Newsgroups: there are no other headers to download
    so does this mean the post and replies are gone now? How long do they stay
    on the group?
    Lez Hammans, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Lez Hammans

    Chet Guest

    You most likely have your view set to "hide read messages". Look under
    "View" and click "Current view".
    "Lez Hammans" <> wrote in message
    > I posted a query about 4 days ago re system set-up advice involving
    > router/external HDD/USB2&Firewire card/DVD player-recorder etc.
    >
    > I know it was here as somebody had kindly replied to a bit of it and was
    > going to come back with some more. I sent a 'thanks' which bounced and

    this

    Chet, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Lez Hammans

    Gary Guest

    > I posted a query about 4 days ago re system set-up advice involving
    > router/external HDD/USB2&Firewire card/DVD player-recorder etc.
    >
    > I know it was here as somebody had kindly replied to a bit of it and was
    > going to come back with some more. I sent a 'thanks' which bounced and

    this
    > is the first chance I've had to get back since - and the post and any
    > replies have gone.
    >
    > I'm a bit of a newbie at Newsgroups: there are no other headers to

    download
    > so does this mean the post and replies are gone now? How long do they stay
    > on the group?

    Hi Lez, Chet is probably right about your settings, your original post and
    the reply are still on my computer. What do you still need to know? I do
    know something about some of the things you have asked about. For convience
    I'm going to cut and paste your orininal post here, and deal with the issues
    that I can. Please keep in mind that I am not an expert on this and am only
    replying because I have been thru the same thing very slowly and with much
    research.

    >I have cable TV and broadband internet. <

    Is that cable internet? I assume yes since you mentioned cable TV.
    Connect the cable modum to the router.

    >I've a Sony laptop >running Windows ME with partition C (5GB) almost full

    and partition D (5GB) almost empty,<

    Why not move some of the files on C to D?

    >USB1 ports, an i.LINK IEEE1394 port and built-in Ethernet capability 10

    BASE-T/100 BASE-TX (I'm copying from the specs here!) as yet unused.<

    Connect the output of the router to the Ethernet input. You use a cable
    much like a phone cable except larger, It's called "cat5" and has RJ45
    connectors. If you want to go wireless you can buy a wireless pcmcia card
    ethernet adapter. I don't Know about the distance, I'm sure it would be ok
    for that distance without floors and walls, but who knows, you just have to
    try and see what happens.

    > There's a desktop PC running Windows 98 SE with a smaller HDD than the

    laptop and no USB, i.LINK or Ethernet port. And there's a busted video!<

    What about the busted video? Does the computer work? Anyway, you have to
    open it up and install a network adapter, wireless or otherwise.

    >When my son's home there's another (up-to-date) PC wanting internet time.

    I don't download much off the net, just small, free utilities mainly.
    Right, that's the
    background.

    With not much to spend I want to be careful to get what will work and,
    hopefully, pull all these elements together. If I state what I have in mind
    perhaps some of you expert chaps and chapesses out there can prevent me from
    wasting my life savings!

    I'm thinking of buying a USB2 and firewire card for the old desktop, a
    wireless router (is it pronounced router or rooter?) which I hope will
    'reach' two floors up signal-wise<

    Good Luck!

    >, a DVD player/recorder (do they work with

    laptops?<

    I don't know, I think you can get a pcmcia or usb device to connect a cd
    burner to the laptop.

    > I want to back-up my data files as well as use it to replace the

    broken VHS), <

    You can put your vhs tapes on dvd, but you can put them on cd too for a lot
    less money. The only advantage of dvd over cdr here is quality and your vhs
    tapes don't have that anyway. You can't get more out of them than they
    have, so the results will be the same with vcd and dvd. Backing up data with
    dvdr is great, 4.5 gigs per disk, versus about 700meg on cdr. It depends on
    how much data you have. Is it worth the extra $200, more or less.

    >and an external HDD which I hope I can use to somehow reclaim

    the 5GB on D, and that I can just attach to whichever of the computers I'm
    using to increase storage. I might get into digital photography at some
    stage too so the extra space will be handy.>

    With the router you can setup a local area network consisting of your three
    computers. If you do that you can configure the network to share all
    harddrives, so that you can have access to all the files on all the
    computers from any computer. With a setup like that you can move files and
    data at will to any hdd so you would not need to move a hdd around. I think
    you can buy a 100 gig hdd now for around $100 put it in your old desktop and
    use it as a common file server. With a setup like that there would be some
    security issues, but you would be behind the router which would partially
    isolate your LAN from the internet. You might need a firewall program too.

    >Does this sound a feasible set-up? Any snags or recommended products? Am I

    right in thinking that a router will allow more than one computer to share
    the broadband internet connection as only the router's IP address need be
    registered? Any other thoughts?>

    I'm not an expert on these things,and I'm not used to posting on newsgroups,
    but I'm telling you some things I have learned from playing with my own LAN/
    router over the past two years. I'm also hoping that someone on this
    group who will correct what ever errors I have made so that we can both
    learn somthing.
    Gary, Jan 8, 2004