Re: Disabling internet access?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bucky Breeder, Nov 30, 2010.

  1. geordie <> via

    > Any suggestion for how I can tweek a laptop that I'm
    > going to lend to a friend so that it cannot be used
    > on the internet? The guy's not super computer-literate
    > so I was thinking of just disabling the network adapters
    > in device manager. But then a USB mobile broadband modem
    > could be used -- unless I also disabled the USB bus
    > controllers, which I don't want to do because he'll
    > need to use a USB port. Anyone? TIA,

    "Tweak" vis-a-vis "modify"... rather than opening 'er up and
    removing some hardware, you might just open up your Local Area
    Connection Properties [Network Properties; then right-click
    Local Area Connection and select Properties][or get it via the
    Control Panel]; on the General tab, uncheck all the listed
    items in the box (but DON'T Uninstall them); then OK out and
    close the GUI...

    Depending on which OS you're dealing with, you might also
    restrict access to the Network interfaces using Administrative
    privledges, or even restrict your "not super computer-literate"
    friend's access to a password protected user account.

    Of course, anything you do can be undone, circumvented and/or
    reset by any reasonably savvy user(s).

    (Sounds like the OP is "playing a prank" on someone; or a
    'control-phreak' trying to keep his wife off of the peep
    shows... I say "If she's a-makin' you money; keep 'er
    happy and call 'er 'honey'!" But WTF-eeeverrrr...

    (^;

    --

    Hello, I'm Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and you're not.

    http://www.socialmediasobrietytest.com/

    http://thedogpaddler.com/RandomUploads/Ball/ball.htm

    Repent! The end is near... Or... good luck
    with that whole pesky "apocolypse" thangy.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 30, 2010