Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dudley Hanks, Mar 18, 2008.

  1. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Sorry, another off topic message.

    But, I had to take Dima to the emergency ward last night because she was
    very lethargic. The vet said she was bleeding internally, so they had to
    operate and remove her spleen.

    This morning, the vet says she came through the surgery with flying colours,
    and is resting comfortably.

    The vet bills will probably reach about $5,000, which Guide Dogs for the
    Blind is paying.

    If any of you Mark III / D3 toting, Porsche driving photogs ever wanted to
    donate to a great charity, now is the time.

    Just visit:

    http://www.guidedogs.com

    Or call:
    1-800-295-4050

    After Dima is released and grows some of her belly fur back, I'll try to
    post some good shots of her on my blog.

    Thanks for all your support.

    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 18, 2008

  2. Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

    Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > Sorry, another off topic message.
    >
    > But, I had to take Dima to the emergency ward last night because she
    > was very lethargic. The vet said she was bleeding internally, so
    > they had to operate and remove her spleen.
    >
    > This morning, the vet says she came through the surgery with flying
    > colours, and is resting comfortably.

    I'm glad she's doing better! I'll be praying for her. Keep us posted?

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 18, 2008

  3. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    > Dudley Hanks wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, another off topic message.
    >>
    >> But, I had to take Dima to the emergency ward last night because she
    >> was very lethargic. The vet said she was bleeding internally, so
    >> they had to operate and remove her spleen.
    >>
    >> This morning, the vet says she came through the surgery with flying
    >> colours, and is resting comfortably.

    > I'm glad she's doing better! I'll be praying for her. Keep us posted?
    >

    > Rita

    Thanks, Rita,

    I appreciate your kind thoughts...

    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 18, 2008
  4. Dudley Hanks

    George Kerby Guest

    Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

    On 3/18/08 12:55 PM, in article 0mTDj.109621$w57.52072@edtnps90, "Dudley
    Hanks" <> wrote:

    > Sorry, another off topic message.
    >
    > But, I had to take Dima to the emergency ward last night because she was
    > very lethargic. The vet said she was bleeding internally, so they had to
    > operate and remove her spleen.
    >
    > This morning, the vet says she came through the surgery with flying colours,
    > and is resting comfortably.
    >
    > The vet bills will probably reach about $5,000, which Guide Dogs for the
    > Blind is paying.
    >
    > If any of you Mark III / D3 toting, Porsche driving photogs ever wanted to
    > donate to a great charity, now is the time.
    >
    > Just visit:
    >
    > http://www.guidedogs.com
    >
    > Or call:
    > 1-800-295-4050
    >
    > After Dima is released and grows some of her belly fur back, I'll try to
    > post some good shots of her on my blog.
    >
    > Thanks for all your support.
    >
    > Dudley

    Dudley, specifically for Dima's case, I specified the Duncann Kattman Fund
    for retired dog care.

    Your girl has my prayers.

    Wishing the best of care for your partner.

    George Kerby, Mar 18, 2008
  5. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message

    > On 3/18/08 12:55 PM, in article 0mTDj.109621$w57.52072@edtnps90, "Dudley
    > Hanks" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, another off topic message.
    >>
    >> But, I had to take Dima to the emergency ward last night because she was
    >> very lethargic. The vet said she was bleeding internally, so they had to
    >> operate and remove her spleen.
    >>
    >> This morning, the vet says she came through the surgery with flying
    >> colours,
    >> and is resting comfortably.
    >>
    >> The vet bills will probably reach about $5,000, which Guide Dogs for the
    >> Blind is paying.
    >>
    >> If any of you Mark III / D3 toting, Porsche driving photogs ever wanted
    >> donate to a great charity, now is the time.
    >>
    >> Just visit:
    >>
    >> http://www.guidedogs.com
    >>
    >> Or call:
    >> 1-800-295-4050
    >>
    >> After Dima is released and grows some of her belly fur back, I'll try to
    >> post some good shots of her on my blog.
    >>
    >> Thanks for all your support.
    >>
    >> Dudley
    >>

    > Dudley, specifically for Dima's case, I specified the Duncann Kattman Fund
    > for retired dog care.
    >
    > Your girl has my prayers.
    >
    > Wishing the best of care for your partner.

    Thank you, so much, George.

    I just got back from visiting her, and she is doing quite well. The vet
    says she can probably come home tomorrow.

    Actually, it was kind of sad. She is so well trained not to go to the
    bathroom on sidewalks, cement floors, etc, she wouldn't do her business in
    the usual relieving spot for the hospital staff. When I got there, they
    asked me to take her out, so my wife and I found an old gravel parking lot,
    and she let loose.

    What a dog...

    The GDB vet in Oregon says she won't be able to do active guide work for at
    least two weeks, so she's going to get spoiled roughten. If the tumour
    isn't malignant, she could still guide for a few months, but I think she
    deserves a speedy retirement.

    Once again, thanks so much for all your support. GDB really deserves it...

    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 19, 2008
  6. Dudley Hanks

    Savageduck Guest

    Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

    On 2008-03-18 20:13:27 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" <> said:

    > "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> On 3/18/08 12:55 PM, in article 0mTDj.109621$w57.52072@edtnps90, "Dudley
    >> Hanks" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sorry, another off topic message.
    >>>
    >>> But, I had to take Dima to the emergency ward last night because she was
    >>> very lethargic. The vet said she was bleeding internally, so they had to
    >>> operate and remove her spleen.
    >>>
    >>> This morning, the vet says she came through the surgery with flying colours,
    >>> and is resting comfortably.
    >>>
    >>> The vet bills will probably reach about $5,000, which Guide Dogs for the
    >>> Blind is paying.
    >>>
    >>> If any of you Mark III / D3 toting, Porsche driving photogs ever wanted to
    >>> donate to a great charity, now is the time.
    >>>
    >>> Just visit:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.guidedogs.com
    >>>
    >>> Or call:
    >>> 1-800-295-4050
    >>>
    >>> After Dima is released and grows some of her belly fur back, I'll try to
    >>> post some good shots of her on my blog.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for all your support.
    >>>
    >>> Dudley
    >>>

    >> Dudley, specifically for Dima's case, I specified the Duncann Kattman Fund
    >> for retired dog care.
    >>
    >> Your girl has my prayers.
    >>
    >> Wishing the best of care for your partner.
    >>

    > Thank you, so much, George.
    >
    > I just got back from visiting her, and she is doing quite well. The
    > vet says she can probably come home tomorrow.
    >
    > Actually, it was kind of sad. She is so well trained not to go to the
    > bathroom on sidewalks, cement floors, etc, she wouldn't do her business
    > in the usual relieving spot for the hospital staff. When I got there,
    > they asked me to take her out, so my wife and I found an old gravel
    > parking lot, and she let loose.
    >
    > What a dog...
    >
    > The GDB vet in Oregon says she won't be able to do active guide work
    > for at least two weeks, so she's going to get spoiled roughten. If the
    > tumour isn't malignant, she could still guide for a few months, but I
    > think she deserves a speedy retirement.
    >
    > Once again, thanks so much for all your support. GDB really deserves it...
    >
    > Dudley

    Hi Dudley,

    All the best to you and Dima. I guess you will give her all the love
    she needs as her reward for all her devotion.

    I know how tough it can be when you lose those great companions. My
    Staffie, Gypsy has just made it to 16. She still thinks she is a puppy
    though (aided by Deramaxx the doggie Celebrex). I just dread the
    inevitable.
    http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Gypsy.jpg (Gypsy out on a
    California hillside a week or so ago)

    Now back to you guys. That is a great organization and will send them a
    donation as well.

    Regards,

    Savageduck

    Savageduck, Mar 20, 2008
  7. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

    >>> Dudley, specifically for Dima's case, I specified the Duncann Kattman
    >>> Fund
    >>> for retired dog care.
    >>>
    >>> Your girl has my prayers.
    >>>
    >>> Wishing the best of care for your partner.

    George Kerby

    > Hi Dudley,
    >
    > All the best to you and Dima. I guess you will give her all the love she
    > needs as her reward for all her devotion.
    >
    > I know how tough it can be when you lose those great companions. My
    > Staffie, Gypsy has just made it to 16. She still thinks she is a puppy
    > though (aided by Deramaxx the doggie Celebrex). I just dread the
    > inevitable.
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Gypsy.jpg (Gypsy out on a California
    > hillside a week or so ago)
    >
    > Now back to you guys. That is a great organization and will send them a
    > donation as well.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Thanks, guys, I can't say how much I appreciate it.

    Dima is home now; we picked her up tonight. She's a bit wiped out because
    of the pain-killers she's on, and I don't think she got much sleep in the
    clinic.

    I was going to take a picture of her head flopping out of her kennel, but
    didn't want the flash to disturb her. I'll try to get a shot soon.

    This afternoon, while I was waiting for my wife to get home from work, I
    decided to take out my white cane and go for a stroll down to the mall, the
    same mall where I took the picture "Dima and the Boy."

    http://blind-apertures.blogspot.com

    Well, my cane skills are a bit rusty, so I ended up walkking into the corner
    of a brick wall and seeing a lot of stars. Yes, us blind guys can see stars
    too.

    With blood trickling down the side of my face, it took me 1 1/2 hours to
    walk home from the mall, Dima and I do it in 45 minuts.

    Needless to say, it was a rather nasty reminder of just how much she helps
    me. Also, as I was making my way home with a throbbing head, I found my way
    impeded by a bunch of tree cuttings somebody just decided to drop in the
    middle of the sidewalk. I had my camera with me,
    and snapped a pic just to show you guys what kind of obstacles Dima has to
    work around. If you log onto my blog and it's not up, just try again in a
    bit. I haven't posted it yet, but I should have it up shortly.

    Anyway, you can imagine how much Dima, and my former guide Bonner, mean to
    me.
    So, once again, thanks to all the folks who have donated money to Guide
    Dogs, and who have offered up prayers, on behalf of Dima. I really
    appreciate it, because I've witnessed first hand how carefully GDB works
    with the donations the organization receives.

    If any of you might know of someone who doesn't read this group, but who
    loves dogs and who might want to support the school, feel free to forward
    any of the "Dima goes to the vet" posts to them with a little nudge to help.
    Or, maybe just drop 'em an e-mail with a hint.
    The last I heard, GDB has over 7,000 dogs spread throughout Canada and the
    US, and the organization gives each and every team the same support it is
    now providing for me. It's expensive, but they just keep on doing it.

    Cheers,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, Mar 20, 2008
  8. Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

    Savageduck wrote:

    > I know how tough it can be when you lose those great companions. My
    > Staffie, Gypsy has just made it to 16. She still thinks she is a puppy
    > though (aided by Deramaxx the doggie Celebrex). I just dread the
    > inevitable.
    > http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Gypsy.jpg (Gypsy out on a
    > California hillside a week or so ago)

    She looks like a nice pup with a lot of energy. Just by looking at her you
    couldn't tell she's a GS-16 (Gray Snoot) ready for retirement. I hope the
    meds keep her happy and moving.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 20, 2008
  9. Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

    Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > Thanks, guys, I can't say how much I appreciate it.
    >
    > Dima is home now; we picked her up tonight. She's a bit wiped out
    > because of the pain-killers she's on, and I don't think she got much
    > sleep in the clinic.

    I'm glad she's back home where she will feel so much better and safer. It
    was probably harder for her to be away from you than going through the
    procedure.

    > I was going to take a picture of her head flopping out of her kennel,
    > but didn't want the flash to disturb her. I'll try to get a shot
    > soon.

    There's always time for that, just pet her and give her the love and support
    you have always been giving her and she'll be very happy.

    > This afternoon, while I was waiting for my wife to get home from
    > work, I decided to take out my white cane and go for a stroll down to
    > the mall, the same mall where I took the picture "Dima and the Boy."
    >
    > http://blind-apertures.blogspot.com

    Nice shot and a great website too

    > Well, my cane skills are a bit rusty, so I ended up walkking into the
    > corner of a brick wall and seeing a lot of stars. Yes, us blind guys
    > can see stars too.
    >
    > With blood trickling down the side of my face, it took me 1 1/2 hours
    > to walk home from the mall, Dima and I do it in 45 minuts.

    Ouch! I hope the injury isn't too serious? I know it makes one think how
    much they take the basic things in life for granted. I wish Dima and you
    the best because I know she wants to get out there with you and go on them
    afternoon walks again.

    Rita

    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 20, 2008
  10. Dudley Hanks

    Guest

    Re: Dima goes to the vet ...

    Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > On 3/18/08 12:55 PM, in article 0mTDj.109621$w57.52072@edtnps90, "Dudley
    > > Hanks" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sorry, another off topic message.
    > >>
    > >> But, I had to take Dima to the emergency ward last night because she was
    > >> very lethargic. The vet said she was bleeding internally, so they had to
    > >> operate and remove her spleen.
    > >>
    > >> This morning, the vet says she came through the surgery with flying
    > >> colours,
    > >> and is resting comfortably.
    > >>
    > >> The vet bills will probably reach about $5,000, which Guide Dogs for the
    > >> Blind is paying.
    > >>
    > >> If any of you Mark III / D3 toting, Porsche driving photogs ever wanted
    > >> donate to a great charity, now is the time.
    > >>
    > >> Just visit:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.guidedogs.com
    > >>
    > >> Or call:
    > >> 1-800-295-4050
    > >>
    > >> After Dima is released and grows some of her belly fur back, I'll try to
    > >> post some good shots of her on my blog.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for all your support.
    > >>
    > >> Dudley
    > >>

    > > Dudley, specifically for Dima's case, I specified the Duncann Kattman Fund
    > > for retired dog care.
    > >
    > > Your girl has my prayers.
    > >
    > > Wishing the best of care for your partner.
    > >

    > Thank you, so much, George.
    >
    > I just got back from visiting her, and she is doing quite well. The vet
    > says she can probably come home tomorrow.
    >
    > Actually, it was kind of sad. She is so well trained not to go to the
    > bathroom on sidewalks, cement floors, etc, she wouldn't do her business in
    > the usual relieving spot for the hospital staff. When I got there, they
    > asked me to take her out, so my wife and I found an old gravel parking lot,
    > and she let loose.
    >
    > What a dog...
    >
    > The GDB vet in Oregon says she won't be able to do active guide work for at
    > least two weeks, so she's going to get spoiled roughten. If the tumour
    > isn't malignant, she could still guide for a few months, but I think she
    > deserves a speedy retirement.
    >
    > Once again, thanks so much for all your support. GDB really deserves it...
    >
    > Dudley

    This is so tragic.

    I challenge others to donate the cost of their camera to Guide Dogs.

    KAW

    , Mar 22, 2008