Re: Digital vs film

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by solostinyoux0@gmail.com, Aug 25, 2012.

  1. Guest

    On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:48:44 AM UTC-7, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I had a chat today with a young lady who has studied photography. She
    >
    > mentioned that nowadays there is a trend among, how to say, let's call
    >
    > them "high end photographers" to use film instead of digital, because
    >
    > supposedly with film you can do things you can't with digital.
    >

    > To me this sounds a bit like those purists who use vacuum tube
    >
    > amplifiers instead of solid state ones, because as far as I know
    >
    > anything which you can do with film can be done with digital. Supposedly
    >
    > film is more tolerant for overexposures, but with digital you can for
    >
    > instance use HDR to extend the dynamic range. And all other colour and
    >
    > exposure effects should also be doable with digital, shoudln't they?
    >
    > --
    >

    > Alfred Molon

    > http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

    It's different for everyone. Buying a instant camera and developing photos can be costly. Say you pay $8 on average for a instant camera and get to take 25 photos, usually. Then you have to take it to get the photos developedwhich will range from $7 to $13 ( in my experience ). The photos may not even turn out, but you wouldn't know that until you got them developed. Filmcameras do provide quality photos, but so does a $150 digital camera. It all depends on how knowledgeable you are with your device.

    For instance, my Mom prefers instant cameras over a digital. This is because she grew up with them and has grown familiar with how to operate it. I guess it all depends on the person and what they prefer. :)

    , Aug 25, 2012