Re: Digital TV

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, May 27, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 27 May 2009 00:41:37 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Okay, they're getting ready to turn off analog TV broadcasting, not a
    >problem for me, I'm on cable. BUT, there's an older woman who has
    >dedicated her life to serving disadvantaged people in our area who lives
    >where there is no cable. She's been using an antenna for broadcast
    >reception for years and years. I recently went to her house to hook up a
    >digital converter and NOTHING, absolutely nothing was coming through.
    >Her antenna appears to be of good quality and in good shape.
    >
    >I know it's a weak signal to blame, but now she's going to have no TV
    >whatsoever unless she has a satellite dish installed. At a monthly price
    >that seems enormous to her, satellite is less than an ideal solution.
    >Anyone got any brilliant ideas for an alternative solution, a solution
    >that someone on a very limited budget might afford?

    Let me guess. Standard yagi bare minimum antenna with no uhf.
    As digital is being transmitted on UHF, the old style antennas
    probably won't work at all.

    What you need is a more modern digital based antenna system.

    http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

    Enter the zip code and it will show you which stations you should be
    receiving.

    http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/dtvantennas.html

    For information on antennas.
    richard, May 27, 2009

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 27 May 2009 08:37:24 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >richard wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 May 2009 00:41:37 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay, they're getting ready to turn off analog TV broadcasting, not a
    >>> problem for me, I'm on cable. BUT, there's an older woman who has
    >>> dedicated her life to serving disadvantaged people in our area who lives
    >>> where there is no cable. She's been using an antenna for broadcast
    >>> reception for years and years. I recently went to her house to hook up a
    >>> digital converter and NOTHING, absolutely nothing was coming through.
    >>> Her antenna appears to be of good quality and in good shape.
    >>>
    >>> I know it's a weak signal to blame, but now she's going to have no TV
    >>> whatsoever unless she has a satellite dish installed. At a monthly price
    >>> that seems enormous to her, satellite is less than an ideal solution.
    >>> Anyone got any brilliant ideas for an alternative solution, a solution
    >>> that someone on a very limited budget might afford?

    >> Let me guess. Standard yagi bare minimum antenna with no uhf.
    >> As digital is being transmitted on UHF, the old style antennas
    >> probably won't work at all.
    >>
    >> What you need is a more modern digital based antenna system.
    >>
    >> http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/
    >>
    >> Enter the zip code and it will show you which stations you should be
    >> receiving.
    >>
    >> http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/dtvantennas.html
    >>
    >> For information on antennas.

    >Thank you, you've given me something to work on. But according to your
    >FCC website, UHF is not required for most channels. But I'll do some
    >more research.
    >
    >Entering a Zip code would be useless. Imagine yourself in Death Valley
    >entering a Zip code that is 50 miles away from the nearest settlement
    >that has the same zip code, something like what I'm looking at here.

    The FCC knows precisely where each and every antenna is located, the
    output power and precisely what area it covers.

    I highly doubt that Virginia would have an area of 50 miles or more
    with the same zip code.
    richard, May 27, 2009