Re: Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Todd Walker, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am new to writing to groups. I'd like to know what make of Digital
    > Camera you'd recommend to someone who wishes to make taking photos
    > more than a hobby. I have researched several brands of digital
    > cameras, but would really like some recommendations to narrow down my
    > choices. I'd like to buy one 5 MP or more. Price is an object, but
    > would consider a digital camera which takes excellent pics in raw and
    > tiff.
    > I have considered SLRs. I do have an HP318 and am very proficient in
    > Photoshop. If you can, please give me your pros and cons of your
    > recommendations.
    > Thank you very much for your consideration.

    If you are willing to spend around $1700-1800, I highly recommend the
    Canon 10D with a couple of lenses to cover the focal length range that
    you use most often. I have the 50mm f/1.8 and the 28-135IS USM and I am
    very happy with both lenses. You can see a few of my sample pictures
    here:

    http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d/index.htm

    If you are looking to spend less than $1000, I would recommend the Canon
    G5, Olympus C5050, Minolta Dimage 7Hi, and Nikon 5400/5700.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Aug 7, 2003

  2. > If you are looking to spend less than $1000, I would recommend the Canon
    > G5, Olympus C5050, Minolta Dimage 7Hi, and Nikon 5400/5700.

    And the G3. Not really much difference between the G3 and G5 other than
    price. Don't be fooled by the 4 to 5 megapixel difference, that doesn't
    always mean a much better picture. In fact, the 4 megapixel looks better
    than many brand's 5 megapixel.
    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > If you are looking to spend less than $1000, I would recommend the Canon
    > > G5, Olympus C5050, Minolta Dimage 7Hi, and Nikon 5400/5700.

    > And the G3. Not really much difference between the G3 and G5 other than
    > price. Don't be fooled by the 4 to 5 megapixel difference, that doesn't
    > always mean a much better picture. In fact, the 4 megapixel looks better
    > than many brand's 5 megapixel.

    You are correct and I absolutely agree -- if I were buying one right
    now, it would be the G3 over the G5. But the original poster specified a
    5 megapixel camera so that's what I put in my answer to him.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Aug 7, 2003
  4. > It seems like the G5 is a step backward--- is that a fair statement? It
    > took a vicious punch in the review at dpreview.

    No one seems to think that the black color is worth the extra $100 in price. I
    don't even like the black color and prefer the silver finish, so I get the best
    of both worlds, better looking camera, lower price.
    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 8, 2003
  5. > You are correct and I absolutely agree -- if I were buying one right
    > now, it would be the G3 over the G5. But the original poster specified a
    > 5 megapixel camera so that's what I put in my answer to him.

    This seems like such a silly thing to say, but many people seem to be saying it,
    and I am going to get the G3 over the G5 myself.
    Jon Wordsworth, Aug 8, 2003