Re: Digital camera to take overseas

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lucas Tam, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Ian S" <> wrote in news:SyfYa.9315$Ye.885@fed1read02:

    > Because of the limited time available, it
    > probably has to be something from the local Best Buy or similar store.
    > Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    So what's his budget?

    The Canon S400 is a good choice. Tiny too.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Lucas Tam

    JK Guest

    The S400 isn't very good is he wants to take photos indoors without
    using a flash or tripod. That is what many people want to do with a
    digital camera. While shirt pocket sized cameras seem cute, the
    slowness of the lenses at the telephoto end make these cameras
    not very useful for taking photos in low light conditions without using
    the flash or a tripod. I suggest that he look at an Olympus C5050
    or Canon G3 or G5.

    JK, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Lucas Tam

    Ian S Guest

    "Lucas Tam" <> wrote in message
    > "Ian S" <> wrote in news:SyfYa.9315$Ye.885@fed1read02:
    >
    > > Because of the limited time available, it
    > > probably has to be something from the local Best Buy or similar store.
    > > Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    > So what's his budget?

    $350 is probably his limit.

    > The Canon S400 is a good choice. Tiny too.

    I think it's more than he would spend and I don't see the big advantage of 4
    MPixels for what he would be doing. Is there a 3 MPixel version?

    Ian S, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Lucas Tam

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:41:15 GMT, Lucas Tam <> wrote:

    >"Ian S" <> wrote in
    >
    >>> The Canon S400 is a good choice. Tiny too.

    >> I think it's more than he would spend and I don't see the big
    >> advantage of 4 MPixels for what he would be doing. Is there a 3 MPixel
    >> version?

    >Yup, there is the SD100 which is 3MP and a 2X zoom.
    >
    >The Optio S is also a good choice too

    Actually there is the Canon Powershot S230 that your friend
    should find for under $300. It too has a 2X optical zoom.
    For about 50 bucks more there is the Powershot S330
    that has a 3X optical zoom..... still a 3MP sensor.

    Jack Mac
    Jack Mac, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Lucas Tam, Aug 8, 2003
  6. Lucas Tam

    J Guest

    The S330 is the largest of the three.
    But the S230 isn't much larger than the S400.

    J, Aug 10, 2003