Re: Digital Camera and Telescope

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Anita Evans, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Anita Evans

    Anita Evans Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    >I'm new to trying to take photos through my telescope. I decided to try
    >it tonight and get some shots of the moon. I can't get everything to
    >focus, and wondered if someone could give me some guidance.

    I've only tried this through binoculars, and was advised to take the
    photo when the moon is visible in the daytime. At night the contrast
    between the bright moon and the dark sky is tricky. I certainly got
    better results this way. I don't know if its the same with a telescope,
    which of course gives you much better magnification.
    --
    Anita Evans
    (anita[at]ra.evans.clara.co.uk to reply by e-mail)
    Anita Evans, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Anita Evans

    Cliff Guest

    You don't say what camera or how it attaches to the telescope. I had pretty
    good results with my Nikon 4500 shooting through the eyepiece. My autofocus
    seemed to work OK but make sure you are on wide angle. I always focused the
    telescope first then let the camera do its own focusing. I also used the
    self-timer to give the camera time to settle down after pushing the shutter
    button. If you are trying to handhold at the eypepiece you will have to use
    a low power ep since you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough
    otherwise.

    There are some good sites on the web that go into some detail on all of
    this. Just do a search on "digital camera and telescope" or try d"igital
    astrophotography".

    Good luck.

    Cliff

    Cliff, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Anita Evans

    ralford Guest

    probably off topic - however, I ran your suggested search and up popped this
    site:

    http://www.scopetronix.com/planetgall.htm

    which, I frankly think has some fantastic images!

    thanks for the tip,

    rma

    ralford, Jul 11, 2003
  4. Anita Evans

    John O. Guest

    In article <W0BPa.19061$>,
    says...
    > You don't say what camera or how it attaches to the telescope. I had pretty
    > good results with my Nikon 4500 shooting through the eyepiece. My autofocus
    > seemed to work OK but make sure you are on wide angle. I always focused the
    > telescope first then let the camera do its own focusing. I also used the
    > self-timer to give the camera time to settle down after pushing the shutter
    > button. If you are trying to handhold at the eypepiece you will have to use
    > a low power ep since you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough
    > otherwise.
    >
    > There are some good sites on the web that go into some detail on all of
    > this. Just do a search on "digital camera and telescope" or try d"igital
    > astrophotography".
    >
    > Good luck.

    Cliff, if you read his post, you will see that he said he has a D100.
    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.
    John O., Jul 11, 2003