Re: Digital bodies eventually reaching Film body prices?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charlie Self, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Charlie Self

    Charlie Self Guest

    Steve D writes:

    >>Currently the EOS 1V top of the line film body sells for 1500 I can see
    >>digital going the way of film body pricing in 10 years, ie a high end
    >>digital selling for 1500 body only and a rebel type DSLR with lens for
    >>300-350?

    >Less than 3 years..
    >>
    >>Remember when a high end 486 IBM model 50 sold for 20,000 dollars?
    >>

    >I paid 2200 for a screamin 100mz Pentium in '96. Oh, with a huge 15"
    >monitor...

    I paid about $2800 for a Juki printer and a 286 PC clone around '87, IIRC.
    Couldn't afford the extra bucks for a 486...I think the difference was about a
    grand. I don't recall them EVER selling for any 20K, unless they were so fully
    loaded as to be almost usable today.

    Charlie Self

    "Men willingly believe what they wish."
    Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

    Charlie Self, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Charlie Self

    Rafe B. Guest

    On 06 Sep 2003 12:47:48 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
    wrote:

    >Steve D writes:
    >
    >>>Currently the EOS 1V top of the line film body sells for 1500 I can see
    >>>digital going the way of film body pricing in 10 years, ie a high end
    >>>digital selling for 1500 body only and a rebel type DSLR with lens for
    >>>300-350?

    >>Less than 3 years..
    >>>
    >>>Remember when a high end 486 IBM model 50 sold for 20,000 dollars?
    >>>

    >>I paid 2200 for a screamin 100mz Pentium in '96. Oh, with a huge 15"
    >>monitor...
    >>

    >I paid about $2800 for a Juki printer and a 286 PC clone around '87, IIRC.
    >Couldn't afford the extra bucks for a 486...I think the difference was about a
    >grand. I don't recall them EVER selling for any 20K, unless they were so fully
    >loaded as to be almost usable today.
    >
    >Charlie Self
    >
    >"Men willingly believe what they wish."
    >Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

    486 didn't show up until a couple years later, as I recall.
    Maybe around '90 or '91?

    I bought a '386 late in '90.. paid a few hundred extra bucks
    to get it stuffed with an extra 2 Mbytes of memory.

    rafe b.

    Rafe B., Sep 6, 2003

  3. Charlie Self

    Tim Smith Guest

    otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

    >I don't think a 120 gig hard drive costs close to that much these days.

    On the radio I heard some place (maybe Fry's) advertising 120 GB
    drives for under $50 the other day.

    Mind boggling, at least to us old fogies who started using computers
    in the 1970s.

    Tim Smith, Sep 7, 2003