Re: Digital bodies eventually reaching Film body prices?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DaVidaMundi, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. DaVidaMundi

    DaVidaMundi Guest

    My hope is that future digicam design drops the whole SLR paradigm,
    making comparisons irrelevant. Why keep building digital Nikon F's?
    The technology is (almost) there to separate most of the major camera
    components (lens/sensor, controls, display, storage) into distinct
    devices connected by whatever wireless communications system wins out.

    You could be doing studio portrait work with what amounts to a
    viewfinder and controls wrapped around a nice fast portrait
    lens/sensor… umpteen-gig storage device could be sitting on your desk…
    25-inch monitor displaying the current image.

    You could be doing sports photography… lens/sensor mounted to the goal
    post… you taking photos by remote control from the skybox.

    You could be doing street photography… lens that attaches to the
    temple of your glasses… display projects the in front of your eye…
    control like current camera remotes… storage system in you back
    pocket.

    It's a big, wide-open world out there; let's quit playing 1959.

    ¡Viva!
    DaVidaMundi, Sep 5, 2003

  2. DaVidaMundi

    JackD Guest

    "DaVidaMundi" <> wrote in message
    > My hope is that future digicam design drops the whole SLR paradigm,
    > making comparisons irrelevant. Why keep building digital Nikon F's?
    > The technology is (almost) there to separate most of the major camera
    > components (lens/sensor, controls, display, storage) into distinct
    > devices connected by whatever wireless communications system wins out.
    >
    > You could be doing studio portrait work with what amounts to a
    > viewfinder and controls wrapped around a nice fast portrait
    > lens/sensor. umpteen-gig storage device could be sitting on your desk.
    > 25-inch monitor displaying the current image.
    >
    > You could be doing sports photography. lens/sensor mounted to the goal
    > post. you taking photos by remote control from the skybox.
    >
    > You could be doing street photography. lens that attaches to the
    > temple of your glasses. display projects the in front of your eye.
    > control like current camera remotes. storage system in you back
    > pocket.
    >
    > It's a big, wide-open world out there; let's quit playing 1959.

    I agree, I think it is only a matter of time before display and sensor are
    decoupled physically.
    Already there are studio systems which use a PC/laptop screen as the
    display.
    First photographers were under a cloth staring at an image upside down on
    ground glass, then sighting through wire frames or through a separate lens,
    finally through the lens with a prism and mirrors, and now we can do it
    without the prism or mirrors. Seems logical. Though, looking at the image
    upside down on ground glass is interesting once in a while.

    -Jack
    JackD, Sep 5, 2003

  3. DaVidaMundi

    Eric Edwards Guest

    On 5 Sep 2003 09:16:26 -0700, DaVidaMundi <> wrote:
    >My hope is that future digicam design drops the whole SLR paradigm,
    >making comparisons irrelevant. Why keep building digital Nikon F's?
    >The technology is (almost) there to separate most of the major camera
    >components (lens/sensor, controls, display, storage) into distinct
    >devices connected by whatever wireless communications system wins out.

    I think it is extremely doubtful that these functions will actually be
    removed from the main unit. It is just too useful to have all the
    necessary parts in one unit. Look at low end film SLRs to see just how
    small an SLR can be.

    But device networks are definitely a coming thing. Already phones,
    pdas, and head sets talk to each other over bluetooth. A few
    enterprising people have connected Tivos to network file servers.

    >You could be doing sports photography… lens/sensor mounted to the goal
    >post… you taking photos by remote control from the skybox.

    That might be difficult than it seems. With a stadium full of people,
    many with their own devices, congestion is just about guaranteed.
    I expect the pros will be using wired networks to get around the
    problem.

    --
    Use the From: header. Sending mail to
    or will only result in frustration.
    Eric Edwards, Sep 5, 2003
  4. DaVidaMundi

    DaVidaMundi Guest

    "JackD" <> wrote in message news:<bjadph$m3d$>...
    > "DaVidaMundi" <> wrote in message
    > > My hope is that future digicam design drops the whole SLR paradigm,
    > > making comparisons irrelevant. Why keep building digital Nikon F's?
    > > The technology is (almost) there to separate most of the major camera
    > > components (lens/sensor, controls, display, storage) into distinct
    > > devices connected by whatever wireless communications system wins out.
    > >
    > > You could be doing studio portrait work with what amounts to a
    > > viewfinder and controls wrapped around a nice fast portrait
    > > lens/sensor. umpteen-gig storage device could be sitting on your desk.
    > > 25-inch monitor displaying the current image.
    > >
    > > You could be doing sports photography. lens/sensor mounted to the goal
    > > post. you taking photos by remote control from the skybox.
    > >
    > > You could be doing street photography. lens that attaches to the
    > > temple of your glasses. display projects the in front of your eye.
    > > control like current camera remotes. storage system in you back
    > > pocket.
    > >
    > > It's a big, wide-open world out there; let's quit playing 1959.

    > I agree, I think it is only a matter of time before display and sensor are
    > decoupled physically.
    > Already there are studio systems which use a PC/laptop screen as the
    > display.
    > First photographers were under a cloth staring at an image upside down on
    > ground glass, then sighting through wire frames or through a separate lens,
    > finally through the lens with a prism and mirrors, and now we can do it
    > without the prism or mirrors. Seems logical. Though, looking at the image
    > upside down on ground glass is interesting once in a while.

    I can't wait until the day when someone thinks of a "computer" they
    mean that grey box next to the water heater that is connected to a
    dozen or so things in their home.
    DaVidaMundi, Sep 6, 2003