Re: Difference btwn 2924XL v. 2924XL-EN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jim Kirby, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Jim Kirby

    Jim Kirby Guest

    You're ever-so close Doug. There was an original 2924XL that did not
    carry either the -A nor -EN designations. These original switches are
    wonderful workhorses but since they only carry 4M of memory they can't
    do important things such as ISL, 802.1q, NTP or TACACS+. Also due to
    the low memory they are not upgradeable to the enterprise image.

    The first 2900XL series shipped after these were the -A models which
    carried the same IOS image as the original 2924XL but had 8M of memory
    making them upgradeable to the enterprise IOS image, which would
    effectively make them a -EN switch. To my knowledge there is no
    hardware difference between -A and -EN switches.

    Eventually Cisco did away with the -A designation entirely and made
    the Enterprise IOS standard on all XL switches, including the 3500XL
    series. Also, since all 2900XL and 3500XL series switches carry
    lifetime hardware and software support you should be able to get the
    latest release ever created although that may take a call to Cisco.

    jk

    Jim Kirby, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Jim Kirby

    xfiles