Re: Did everybody leave town?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Jun 28, 2013.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:07:20 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : This is weird. I haven't seen a new photo NG post for almost 24 hours.
    :
    : Did everybody leave town for an extra long weekend?
    : ...or have we just reached the point of total apathy with regard to the
    : photography debate?

    Neither; just too damned busy. I'm still editing and weeding down the 350+
    photos I took at the City Manager's retirement party a week ago, delayed by
    having to rework a picture I took of the new C.M. to make it match the
    idiosyncratic sepia toning of a picture someone else took of the incoming
    Deputy C.M. (Our Web site has to reflect the change at midnight Sunday.) And
    at the retirement party I got asked to photograph an awards ceremony for the
    Fire Department tomorrow morning. And that doesn't count my nearly full-time
    responsibilities as a computer system manager.

    This is an explanation, not a complaint. Obviously I'd rather be busy than
    bored. :^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 28, 2013

  2. Robert Coe

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 21:00:02 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:07:20 -0700, Savageduck
    ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >: This is weird. I haven't seen a new photo NG post for almost 24 hours.
    >:
    >: Did everybody leave town for an extra long weekend?
    >: ...or have we just reached the point of total apathy with regard to the
    >: photography debate?
    >
    >Neither; just too damned busy. I'm still editing and weeding down the 350+
    >photos I took at the City Manager's retirement party a week ago, delayed by
    >having to rework a picture I took of the new C.M. to make it match the
    >idiosyncratic sepia toning of a picture someone else took of the incoming
    >Deputy C.M. (Our Web site has to reflect the change at midnight Sunday.) And
    >at the retirement party I got asked to photograph an awards ceremony for the
    >Fire Department tomorrow morning. And that doesn't count my nearly full-time
    >responsibilities as a computer system manager.
    >
    >This is an explanation, not a complaint. Obviously I'd rather be busy than
    >bored. :^)

    A member of one of my camera clubs photographs all of the civic
    meetings for one of the suburbs of Orlando. He's constantly doing
    groups similar to what you describe above.

    His biggest challenge is lighting. Many of the rooms he has to
    photograph in have mixed source lighting, many have very high
    ceilings, and many have ceilings that don't bounce light well.

    He has a remotely operated flash mounted to an expanding pole that he
    takes to all of the functions. Instead of attempting bounce light, or
    using the flash directly on the subject, he uses the pole flash like a
    boom.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 28, 2013

  3. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >:
    : >: Did everybody leave town for an extra long weekend?
    : >: ...or have we just reached the point of total apathy with regard to the
    : >: photography debate?
    : >
[...]

    I strongly empathize with your friend. Our City Council chamber is a beautiful
    piece of architecture, but it's very dark, with red print wallpaper above
    dark, shiny wood panelling, and with a ceiling too high for bounce flash. Its
    only saving grace (and only for daytime events) is that it has some
    south-facing windows. But yesterday at the time of the ceremony those were
    useless because it was so cloudy and dark outside. I had to lower my shutter
    speed, crank the ISO up to 1250, and hope for the best. So far, with my 250+
    shots about half edited, I seem to have made out all right.

    I think the Powers That Be might take a dim view of that boom, but they did
    turn on the TV lights for me. ;^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 29, 2013
  4. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/29/2013 12:05 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

    > I strongly empathize with your friend. Our City Council chamber is a beautiful
    > piece of architecture, but it's very dark, with red print wallpaper above
    > dark, shiny wood panelling, and with a ceiling too high for bounce flash. Its
    > only saving grace (and only for daytime events) is that it has some
    > south-facing windows. But yesterday at the time of the ceremony those were
    > useless because it was so cloudy and dark outside. I had to lower my shutter
    > speed, crank the ISO up to 1250, and hope for the best. So far, with my 250+
    > shots about half edited, I seem to have made out all right.

    DXO does a great job of high ISO noise removal. There is a free, full
    functioning trial version at:
    <http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/download>

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 29, 2013
  5. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 12:56:05 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
[...]

    My 7D's handle noise pretty well. For my June 20 event, shot mostly at ISO
    1000, I had to do almost no noise reduction. I'm still editing the June 28
    event (ISO 1250), and so far the extra 250 ISO points don't seem to have
    mattered.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2013
  6. Robert Coe

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/4/2013 8:49 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 12:56:05 -0400, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    > : On 6/29/2013 12:05 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > :
    > : > I strongly empathize with your friend. Our City Council chamber is a beautiful
    > : > piece of architecture, but it's very dark, with red print wallpaper above
    > : > dark, shiny wood panelling, and with a ceiling too high for bounce flash. Its
    > : > only saving grace (and only for daytime events) is that it has some
    > : > south-facing windows. But yesterday at the time of the ceremony those were
    > : > useless because it was so cloudy and dark outside. I had to lower my shutter
    > : > speed, crank the ISO up to 1250, and hope for the best. So far, with my 250+
    > : > shots about half edited, I seem to have made out all right.
    > : >
    > :
    > : DXO does a great job of high ISO noise removal. There is a free, full
    > : functioning trial version at:
    > : <http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/download>
    >
    > My 7D's handle noise pretty well. For my June 20 event, shot mostly at ISO
    > 1000, I had to do almost no noise reduction. I'm still editing the June 28
    > event (ISO 1250), and so far the extra 250 ISO points don't seem to have
    > mattered.
    >
    > Bob

    That's good.

    --