Re: Dialer Scam

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-04, Tim <> wrote:
    > I have this dialer that keeps coming up no matter what I do. Good thing my
    > modem is disconnected or I would have been paying a big phone bill. It
    > keeps recreating a dial up account in my connections page and tries to phone
    > "Connessione Predefinita" 702 010 2463 on its own. It has some Italian text
    > or something on a pop up menu titled "Internet Private Zone" with a SI or NO
    > button. The thing dials without me clicking anything.
    >
    > I am running XP and have Norton antivirus, up to date, as well as Ad Aware
    > and Spybot but they don't seem to fix the problem.
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for your help...
    > Tim

    snip binary which with the help of

    $ convert Dialer-pop-up.jpg Dialer-pop-up.pnm

    and

    $ gocr Dialer-pop-up.pnm

    delivered this, expensively:

    (PICTURE) (PICTURE)
    _%__cm_

    COMPLIMENTI, hai attivato I'accesso all'area privata per 30 minuti ,
    Per entrare componi alt+f4 , Per I'accesso di 24 ore CLICCQ 5I
    al costo di quindici euro , Cliccando no sarai collegato a trecento
    eurocent al minuto e navigherai all'interno dei contenutO?
    Clicca si e prosegui, Buon Divertimento

    which <http://world.altavista.com/tr> (with a little help) renders
    amusingly as:

    IT COMPLIMENTS, it has activated the access to the private area for 30
    minuteren, In order to enter you compose alt+f4, For the access of 24
    hours CLICCQ SI to the cost of fifteen euro, Cliccando you will not be
    connected to three hundred eurocent to the minute and will be annoying to
    the inside of the content?

    From which it can be concluded that 'the private area' has a profitable
    line in malware; perhaps its raison d'etre.

    This web search looks promising:
    <http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=remove dialer&sourceid=
    opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8> or <http://shorterlink.com/?XF6QNF>.

    --