Re: Dial-up Modem Question

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by MF, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. MF

    MF Guest

    You don't describe your connection, but this should be easy to test. Plug a
    phone into the same hole into which you plugged the modems. Does the phone
    work?

    Take a couple of the modems and test them on an analogue phone jack.
    Do any of them work?

    If the answer is yes to both, the modems will not work over VOIP. :-|

    Mike

    MF, Sep 16, 2005

  2. MF

    w_tom Guest

    If fax works, then what speed does the fax work at? Fax
    running in class 1 mode can use baud rates anywhere from 300
    (+FTM=3 and +FRM=3)) and 2400 (+FxM=24) up to 14.4K
    (+FxM=146). I am not sure how to monitor modem status when it
    is making a fax connection. However the modem status would
    automatically determine the maximum data rate on VoIP for both
    outgoing and incoming; and report these significant numbers.

    In theory, it should be possible to use Hyperterminal to all
    and connect to a fax machine. For example, in Hyperterminal,
    AT&F would first reset the modem. AT+FCLASS=1 would put the
    modem into class 1 fax mode. AT+FAE1 would enable the modem
    as an auto answer fax machine. ATA may also enable auto
    answer. One an incoming call, status information could be
    received on screen. AT+FAE? would obtain fax modem status.
    ATH0 (last character is zero) would hang up.

    To initiate a call, try ATDTxxxx where xxx is the phone
    number.

    Again, the intent is to let two fax machines determine what
    your max baud rate would be on VoIP, since fax machines can
    operate as low as 300 baud.

    w_tom, Sep 22, 2005

  3. MF

    w_tom Guest

    Unfortunately, until you can provide actual numbers, then we
    have no idea what speed a fax operates on VoIP. For example,
    in one location, I finally got someone in the CO whereby I
    demonstrated noise on the phone line unique and only in one
    direction. They finally admitted the connection from SLIC to
    central office was defective. Even all 9600 baud faxes would
    drop back to 2400 baud or less due to noise. But users never
    knew. And that is the point. Without specific numbers, then
    faxes on VoIP might appear to work just fine and yet actually
    work only at 2400 baud or less. How would you know? Actual
    numbers are essential before we know anything. I am very
    curious as to what those numbers really are.

    w_tom, Sep 23, 2005