Re: Dial up connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Poider" <> wrote in message
    > Hello to News group.. I run windows 98 load and delete various shareware

    off
    > the net. Recently on booting up my PC and some times when it has been

    idle
    > for a while the dial up connection window opens, asking if I want to get
    > onto net I believe a program in the
    > background somewhere may be to blame, how can I work out which program it
    > would be.
    > any help appreciated thank you

    Let the thing connect once and see where it ends up at.
    With the box on the screen, press ctrl+alt+del and see which programs are
    listed.
    "end task" each one and when the box goes away, that's your culprit.
    if you see something like flskg.exe, it's probably an auto dialer.
    open the registry and delete any references to it.
    find the file in your directories and delete it.

    Some share ware stuff also look for updates every time you use the program,
    or at certain intervals.
    If you're not online, they try to connect.
    Some are now using "GAIN" or "Gator" and that bugger will try to connect as
    often as possible.

    Richard, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Richard

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Richard said:

    > "Poider" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello to News group.. I run windows 98 load and delete various shareware off
    >> the net. Recently on booting up my PC and some times when it has been idle
    >> for a while the dial up connection window opens, asking if I want to get
    >> onto net I believe a program in the
    >> background somewhere may be to blame, how can I work out which program it
    >> would be.
    >> any help appreciated thank you
    >>

    > Let the thing connect once and see where it ends up at.

    You complete and utter fuckwit, if it's a worm/virus/trojan/data miner, it only
    needs to connect once to phone home with it's results.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Richard

    Jimchip Guest

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 08:44:09 -0500, Richard wrote:

    > open the registry and delete any references to it.

    Not!

    > Some are now using "GAIN" or "Gator" and that bugger will try to connect as
    > often as possible.

    And St00pid can 'proove' it- He's got 50 instances of each running
    right now.

    (lifted from /. Posted by jamie.)

    Jimchip, Jul 7, 2003