Re: Devin Yalkin - An interesting portfolio

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Oct 21, 2012.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Oct 21, 2012

  2. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2012-10-20 17:52:00 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 10/20/2012 6:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >>> < http://www.devinyalkinphotography.com/ >
    >>>

    >> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
    >> his subjects.

    >Exactly what I was thinking.
    >
    >...Floyd might disagree. ;-)

    Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
    love to know his black and white conversion technique.

    Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 21, 2012

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/20/2012 9:27 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
    >>> his subjects.

    >> Exactly what I was thinking.
    >>
    >> ...Floyd might disagree. ;-)

    > Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
    > love to know his black and white conversion technique.
    >
    > Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.

    I'm not sure all was done in post, particularly the Aqueduct portfolio.
    Anyway, I plan to try some experiments tomorrow, in Chinatown.
    And am planning to take a hand on workshop in BW conversion, using Nik.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 21, 2012
  4. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:27:27 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
    : <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    :
    : >On 2012-10-20 17:52:00 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    : >
    : >> On 10/20/2012 6:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    : >>> < http://www.devinyalkinphotography.com/ >
    : >>>
    : >>>
    : >>
    : >> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
    : >> his subjects.
    : >
    : >Exactly what I was thinking.
    : >
    : >...Floyd might disagree. ;-)
    :
    : Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
    : love to know his black and white conversion technique.
    :
    : Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.

    My first impulse is to disagree with that last thought. Yalkin just lays his
    photographs out there and dares the viewer to try to discern what, if
    anything, he means them to say. A more elaborate Web site might seem jarringly
    out of place in a variety of ways. Less may be more in this case.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 21, 2012
  5. PeterN

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 22:14:49 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:27:27 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
    >: <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >:
    >: >On 2012-10-20 17:52:00 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >: >
    >: >> On 10/20/2012 6:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >: >>> < http://www.devinyalkinphotography.com/ >
    >: >>>
    >: >>>
    >: >>
    >: >> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
    >: >> his subjects.
    >: >
    >: >Exactly what I was thinking.
    >: >
    >: >...Floyd might disagree. ;-)
    >:
    >: Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
    >: love to know his black and white conversion technique.
    >:
    >: Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.
    >
    >My first impulse is to disagree with that last thought. Yalkin just lays his
    >photographs out there and dares the viewer to try to discern what, if
    >anything, he means them to say. A more elaborate Web site might seem jarringly
    >out of place in a variety of ways. Less may be more in this case.

    I was thinking more of the lack of navigation instruction. Rather
    than the conventional arrow-click to the next image, the page requires
    scrolling to the right for each series.

    The first time I looked at the site, I didn't think of scrolling and
    saw only two images per set. I figured it out, but I'm sure some
    people are even less perceptive and stopped at the first two.

    The stark appearance of the pages adds, not detracts. It's the right
    setting for the stark images.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Oct 21, 2012
  6. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/20/2012 10:18 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2012-10-20 18:55:40 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >
    >> On 10/20/2012 9:27 PM, tony cooper wrote:

    >>> Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
    >>> love to know his black and white conversion technique.
    >>>
    >>> Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.
    >>>

    >> I'm not sure all was done in post, particularly the Aqueduct
    >> portfolio. Anyway, I plan to try some experiments tomorrow, in Chinatown.
    >> And am planning to take a hand on workshop in BW conversion, using Nik.

    > With NIK Silver Efex Pro 2, the presets are OK, but there is much more
    > to be gained using the full adjustment tool set. I would also recommend
    > taking a look at some of their tutorials. Here are a few of their
    > "Webinars" some are lengthy, but all are informative.
    > ....and there are plenty more, some of which cover some of your abstract
    > area of interest.
    >
    > < http://tinyurl.com/8epnefz >
    > < http://tinyurl.com/8uz92tl >
    > < http://tinyurl.com/8kjh966 >
    > < http://tinyurl.com/8vqgh5e >
    > < http://tinyurl.com/9322sy8 >
    > < http://tinyurl.com/8dc9j9f >
    > < http://tinyurl.com/9vn8dbm >

    thanks for the links.
    With all the online help they give, I thought I might not need the
    workshop, but the instructor is Karin Eisman, and I have yet to leave
    one of her presentations without learning something.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Oct 21, 2012
  7. PeterN

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:27:27 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:14:17 -0700, Savageduck
    >: <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >:
    >: >On 2012-10-20 17:52:00 -0700, PeterN <> said:
    >: >
    >: >> On 10/20/2012 6:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >: >>> < http://www.devinyalkinphotography.com/ >
    >: >>>
    >: >>>
    >: >>
    >: >> He takes street photography to a new level, A neat interpretation of
    >: >> his subjects.
    >: >
    >: >Exactly what I was thinking.
    >: >
    >: >...Floyd might disagree. ;-)
    >:
    >: Some quite good stuff with truly imaginative post-processing. I'd
    >: love to know his black and white conversion technique.
    >:
    >: Too bad the webpage design is so primitive.
    >
    >My first impulse is to disagree with that last thought. Yalkin just lays his
    >photographs out there and dares the viewer to try to discern what, if
    >anything, he means them to say. A more elaborate Web site might seem jarringly
    >out of place in a variety of ways. Less may be more in this case.

    Agree 100%. His web site is a model of clarity and ease of
    navigation. His critics presumably prefer complex feature-rich web
    sites that only detract from the images on them.

    Yalkin also shows that film is far from dead. I doubt that these
    images would have the same impact had they been shot on digital,
    although the Leica M Monochrom would be an interesting comparison.

    Sales of black and white film in Europe are actually rising in a
    photography market that is shrinking overall thanks to severe
    austerity of the kind Mitt Romney says he would impose on the USA.

    Watch out America! Obama's policies are almost exactly the same as
    those that the IMF is now pleading with Europe's leaders to implement
    because Republican-style austerity measures have failed so
    comprehensively.

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2012
  8. PeterN

    jdanield Guest

    Le 21/10/2012 13:25, Bruce a écrit :

    > Sales of black and white film in Europe are actually rising in a
    > photography market that is shrinking overall thanks to severe

    do you have any evidence of that? I would like it :)

    jdd (France)

    jdanield, Oct 21, 2012
  9. PeterN

    Bruce Guest

    jdanield <> wrote:
    >Le 21/10/2012 13:25, Bruce a écrit :
    >
    >> Sales of black and white film in Europe are actually rising in a
    >> photography market that is shrinking overall thanks to severe

    >do you have any evidence of that? I would like it :)

    The UK photo stores I assist in managing sell black and white film
    from Kodak, Ilford, Fujifilm, Rollei and ADOX. Our sales are too
    small to be representative of the whole UK so I get my information
    from the manufacturers.

    I am told by Ilford and Adox that sales of black and white film are
    steadily increasing against a background of an overall photography
    market that is declining in the UK because of our austerity programme
    and in the Euro zone because of its austerity programme.

    I am told by Kodak and Fujifilm that colour film sales are still
    dropping significantly, although sales of 4x5 inch transparency film
    are holding up well.

    In January 2013 I will be joining a large UK retail chain in a senior
    position with the objective of improving the performance of its still
    photography offering. I expect I will have access to a lot more
    market data than I have now.

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2012
  10. PeterN

    jdanield Guest

    Le 21/10/2012 17:58, Bruce a écrit :
    > jdanield <> wrote:
    >> Le 21/10/2012 13:25, Bruce a écrit :
    >>
    >>> Sales of black and white film in Europe are actually rising in a
    >>> photography market that is shrinking overall thanks to severe

    >> do you have any evidence of that? I would like it :)

    > The UK photo stores I assist in managing sell black and white film
    > from Kodak, Ilford, Fujifilm, Rollei and ADOX. Our sales are too
    > small to be representative of the whole UK so I get my information
    > from the manufacturers.
    >
    > I am told by Ilford and Adox that sales of black and white film are
    > steadily increasing against a background of an overall photography
    > market that is declining in the UK because of our austerity programme
    > and in the Euro zone because of its austerity programme.
    >
    > I am told by Kodak and Fujifilm that colour film sales are still
    > dropping significantly, although sales of 4x5 inch transparency film
    > are holding up well.
    >
    > In January 2013 I will be joining a large UK retail chain in a senior
    > position with the objective of improving the performance of its still
    > photography offering. I expect I will have access to a lot more
    > market data than I have now.

    very interesting, thanks
    jdd

    jdanield, Oct 21, 2012
  11. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 16:58:40 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    : In January 2013 I will be joining a large UK retail chain in a senior
    : position with the objective of improving the performance of its still
    : photography offering. I expect I will have access to a lot more
    : market data than I have now.

    Will you be able to continue with outside projects like the construction
    photography, or will you have to move to London and bag all that?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 21, 2012
  12. PeterN

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 16:58:40 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: In January 2013 I will be joining a large UK retail chain in a senior
    >: position with the objective of improving the performance of its still
    >: photography offering. I expect I will have access to a lot more
    >: market data than I have now.
    >
    >Will you be able to continue with outside projects like the construction
    >photography, or will you have to move to London and bag all that?

    I will be working 3 days a week on a two year contract with specific
    sales targets. The rest of my time will be spent shooting black and
    white film for art prints, digital colour for stock and managing a
    London gallery in which I have recently become a 50/50 partner.

    So no more construction photography, no more corporate work, no more
    portraiture, no more photojournalism and no more 'celebrity' work, but
    a lot to look back on and take pride in ...

    .... and a much fatter salary than I ever had before. I'm happy.

    There is also a terminal bonus in December 2014 which, if I hit all my
    targets, will be 50% of my salary. Payment by results. :)

    I'm on what is euphemistically called 'gardening leave' from the end
    of October 2012 to January 1, 2013 unless my new employer compensates
    my present one. Basically, I get paid to stay at home. It gives me a
    chance to tie up all the loose ends. It is all possible because of a
    significant improvement in my health since the start of 2012.

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2012
  13. PeterN

    jdanield Guest

    Le 21/10/2012 20:26, Bruce a écrit :

    > ... and a much fatter salary than I ever had before. I'm happy.

    :)

    good luck

    jdd

    jdanield, Oct 21, 2012
  14. PeterN

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 19:26:56 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    : Robert Coe <> wrote:
[...]

    Good to hear. Good luck on the new job(s).

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 21, 2012
  15. PeterN

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >Good to hear. Good luck on the new job(s).
    >Bob

    >good luck
    >jdd

    Thank you to you both.

    I'm really looking forward to starting work in the New Year.

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2012