Re: detecting proxy settings......

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:29:25 -0500, PuppyKatt wrote:

    >Phil B wrote:
    >>> Just recently when I start ie at the bottom of the window I get
    >>> "detecting proxy settings" and it waits for about 10 seconds before
    >>>
    >>> After that it seems ok, but it never used to do this, just used to
    >>> start up really quickly.............
    >>>
    >>> Any help much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> winxp home sp1
    >>>
    >>> Phil.

    >What type of connection do you have? This happens to me every once in a
    >while, and I have no idea how, but I do know how to fix it, at least
    >until it resets itself. In IE, click Tools, Connections, Lan Settings,
    >uncheck "Automatically detect ..." Then click Apply, OK.
    >As I said, I have no idea how or why this thing checks itself to detect
    >proxy settings, because I do not use a proxy, but I do suspect that

    It seems to be like the auto check for updates feature every 20 or so
    reboots the 2 settings are 'on' again.

    The auto detect only works if it's a proxy server advertising itself
    using WPAD, Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Protocol.

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3040.html
    section 6.4 Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Protocol (WPAD)
    and
    http://developer.novell.com/research/appnotes/2002/april/02/a0204024.htm

    >Kazaa Lite has something to do with it, because if my son or I do a lot
    >of Kazaa Lite searches/downloads, the next time we use IE, it has to

    Ah! a new theory.....

    >detect the settings. When that happens, I click the STOP icon, then to
    >the temporary fix. Another glitch for Mr. Gates to fix.

    You are correct in saying it's one of those MS glitches.

    Try this , but XP is not mentioned.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314645
    You Cannot Save Web Proxy Setting in Internet Explorer on Some
    Windows-Based Clients

    Instead of changing the IE settings, it says change defaults in Control
    Panel settings.

    Not XP, but worth a try maybe.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223273
    Internet Explorer Proxy Settings Change After Computer Restarts

    Me

    why?, Aug 15, 2003