Re: Details of Benbo ball head?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris Malcolm, May 12, 2008.

  1. In rec.photo.digital bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > I just lucked into a Benbo 1 tripod at a car boot
    > sale, for a delightful price.

    > When I got it home, I discovered that the
    > tightening heads for the column and legs
    > didn't move smoothly; however since I also
    > enjoy tuning and restoring handtools,
    > I simply removed the knobs, which have a
    > simple 1/4" thread, ran a bottoming tap up
    > and down the hole, and ran a cleaning die
    > down the bolt, which removed some loose plastic
    > "flash" in 2 of the knobs. The tightening knobs now
    > run beautifully; 1/2 a turn from slack to solid.

    > I have found that other people have complained
    > of this stickiness, so I guess Benbo's QA could
    > do with improvement. Not a big task for me
    > and my workshop though :)

    > The tripod has a ball head. This has a simple rectangular plate,
    > with a hole, partially threaded 3/8". There is no bolt
    > or tightener.

    > So - can anyone with a similar head give me details
    > or source for the camera holding bolt?

    The spare bolts for many kinds of plate are interchangeable. It'll be
    much easier to find one that will do rather than the very specific one
    that's missing. Take the plate to a good camera shop.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, May 12, 2008

  2. ? "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> ?????? ??? ??????
    > bugbear wrote:
    >> Chris Malcolm wrote:

    >>> The spare bolts for many kinds of plate are interchangeable. It'll be
    >>> much easier to find one that will do rather than the very specific one
    >>> that's missing. Take the plate to a good camera shop.

    > I note (from searching) that "most" benbo ball
    > heads had/have a round plate that runs up-and-down
    > the main thread that emerges from the ball.
    >
    > Mine is not like this; it has a proper plate:

    And which tripod did you use to take the photo of that tripod? Isn't that a
    bit of a paradox?

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, May 13, 2008

  3. "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:
    >And which tripod did you use to take the photo of that tripod? Isn't that a
    >bit of a paradox?

    If you insist on taking a photo of the tripod while using the tripod you
    could e.g. use mirrors.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, May 13, 2008