Re: Desperately need help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Apr 17, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > First off, I know I'll be flamed good for posting this. But I'm hoping
    > someone out there can help me. And AOL is not my primary ISP. I use
    > Optimum on LIne. But I'm in a jam.
    >
    > For some reason, when I try to log onto AOL 9.0, which I've been using
    > for some time, I Now get an error message snmaster.idx data file is
    > missing and I can't log on. I downloaded version 9.0a from AOL and
    > installed it and all my saved mail and my address book are gone. I still
    > have the 9.0 version on my system. Is there a file, Organize or
    > something, that I can copy over to the new install and get this stuff
    > back? In lieu of that, I have a laptop (Netbook) which has AOL 9.0 on it
    > and has the intact address book. Can I copy any files to a thumb drive
    > and transfer them to my desktop to get at least the address book back?
    >
    > Also, on the new install, images don't automatically load and I have
    > click the "allow images and links" for each email I open. Where do I
    > find the setting to make that a default? And many times, just trying to
    > click on "reply" to an email, closes AOL down completely. I knw you get
    > what you pay for but this has very suddenly gotten ridiculous after
    > using the service for 17 years. They no longer have phone support,
    > right?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Did you try uninstalling AOL 9.0a and AOL 9.0 Then rebooting, installing
    AOL 9.0 and rebooting then trying again? You do *not* want to use any
    version of AOL's software with a letter after the version number.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 17, 2009