Re: DesktopX, Windows Blinds Froze XP

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by D. Spencer Hines, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. Install Third-Party Rinky-Dink tweaks and "enhancements" and pay the price
    of frequent incompatibility with XP and non-functioning computers.

    Why should Microsoft design the OS so all these little fly-by-night
    companies can get a free ride and be a parasite on the Operating System --
    ripping off potential profits for MS as well as ham-stringing the OS with
    shabby, shoddy code?

    I LOVE to see it when these pogues get hoisted with their own petards and
    wind up with BSOD or frozen screens.

    The Wages Of Sin & Arrant Foolishness...

    PUT the New Features IN the OS.

    Further:

    If you screwed the pooch and went ahead and put one of these Third Party
    timebombs on your system -- DON'T come crying to Microsoft. GO to the site
    of the people who sold you the software and get THEM to tell you what's
    WRONG.

    Heh, Heh -- Fat Chance Of That. They don't want to get into the Technical
    Support Business. FAR too expensive -- and 'twould cut into those
    fly-by-night profits they hope to rip off -- as Freeriders on Microsoft
    software.

    "im [sic] a chef not a coder." [See Below]

    Hilarious!

    'Nuff Said.

    DSH

    Lux et Veritas et Libertas

    D. Spencer Hines, Feb 23, 2006

  2. D. Spencer Hines wrote:
    > Install Third-Party Rinky-Dink tweaks and "enhancements" and pay the price
    > of frequent incompatibility with XP and non-functioning computers.
    >
    > Why should Microsoft design the OS so all these little fly-by-night
    > companies can get a free ride and be a parasite on the Operating System --
    > ripping off potential profits for MS as well as ham-stringing the OS with
    > shabby, shoddy code?

    You can't. Just don't follow the default settings and use a restricted
    account instead of full admin righs. Then you can't harm neither the
    system nor other user profiles.

    > I LOVE to see it when these pogues get hoisted with their own petards and
    > wind up with BSOD or frozen screens.

    The only reasons of BSODs I've seen on my machines were the very same as
    for kernel panic: hardware failures and, on test machines only, testing
    of self-written kernel-mode drivers.

    > If you screwed the pooch and went ahead and put one of these Third Party
    > timebombs on your system -- DON'T come crying to Microsoft. GO to the site
    > of the people who sold you the software and get THEM to tell you what's
    > WRONG.

    Window Blinds runs pretty fine with restricted user rights, so there's
    no need to **** up the system whatsoever. But if the users are running
    everything with default admin rights, it's no way different from fucking
    up the system with doing a read-mail-really-fast while being logged in
    as root (or any other user with UID 0 or rm being suid).

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Feb 23, 2006