Re: Dell1350Wlan & NetGear Wgt624 NO DHCP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Very Tiny, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Very Tiny

    Very Tiny Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:44:10 -0700, Tbone wrote:

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:44:10 -0700, MR. TROY "Tbone" MANGUM ("Tbone"
    <> in the message <>
    wrote in the usenet group alt.internet.wireless a big fat question of
    curousity:

    > I cannot get my Dell 1350 WLAN card to obtain a DHCP from NETGEAR
    > WGT624. Even when I set ip to static I still cannot connect. My card
    > can see my SSID. I am getting a strong signal. But I cannot connect. I
    > have downloaded latest Dell 1350 drivers and NetGear firmware. My
    > NetGear route is a DHCP client to roadrunner. I can connect to internet
    > through a wire connection attached to my wireless router and it get a
    > dhcp address.
    >
    > any ideas?

    Sure. I know exactly what the problem is. In certain situations
    (especially when using the recent Dell issue wireless G chipsets in
    conjunction with the Netgear access points, an unhealthy high amount of
    static impedance buildup occurs in the surrounding atmosphere,
    particularly in areas of low and medium elevation (in mountainous high
    elevation regions this isn't nearly the case) as I am sure Dell Support
    has probably already explained. There a few ways to get around this. Do a
    query of all wireless devices, microwave ovens, RC devices and pleasure
    clubs (planes, and cars) and garage door openers. You will then need to
    place such devices under the inspection of a valid, certified operator of
    a high thermal stability micropower voltage reference meter. This sounds
    like a great deal of effort and expense but any typical radio shack
    employee could probably offer the service remotely for a fee of around 10
    bucks or less (or at the very least turn you in the direction of some
    inexpensive alternative.

    You can try to use a static defusing device by placing large pieces of
    Styrofoam on top, beside, and underneath your wireless access devices.
    You might also want so smear a small amount of viscous material upon the
    antenna and external interfaces of your laptop and access point. This
    often fixes the problem as well.

    Very Tiny, Aug 3, 2005