Re: Dell restore function

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Jun 8, 2009.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Russell W Meredith <> wrote in

    Warning and disclaimer: you might want to check this out with a
    technician, or wait for the hostile responses to my suggestions.
    Also, I HATE laptops, largely because of the "restore", "hidden
    partitions", fragility, impossible keyboards, every model in the
    world has a different AC adapter and plug, etc.

    0. Although many programs written to save your ass in such
    situations work, many require knowledge and/or extra tweaking
    and settings things you will know nothing about.

    I admit I am NF with it, but I would recommend /not/ using
    DSRFix or anything like it.

    1. Go to the Dell site and DL ALL the drivers and manuals for
    the model. For ALL operating systems. Make a CD-R of that,
    organized nicely. Burn at 4x or 8x speed so it lasts. Use good
    media.

    2. /Wipe/ the ENTIRE HD, and partition it - if it's 40 GB I'd
    make at least 8 partitions - I used to have 16 partitions on my
    40HD but for some bizarre reason that approach is not endorsed
    by most users. (Needless to say, it will never be endorsed by
    manufacturers and technicians since providing ONE hugeass
    partition creates big problems for clueless users and makes them
    LOTS of money.)

    Partitioning CAN be done even with F-Disk but if your drive is
    huge or you are clueless (no offense) get an older version of
    Partition Magic 8 (before Norton bought it and fucked it up). It
    is easy as heck and works great. It is available on Hiren's
    Buttsaver CD's. Which are available on the Usenet and other
    places, or I can post that PM8 for you somewhere if you want.

    I would recommend using FAT-32 but it's up to you. For
    compatibility with other people you might prefer NTFS.

    3. Install a clean (not Dell version) of whatever OS you like,
    and the applicable drivers on C.

    4. Install programs.

    5. Once you have C set up, use Acronis True Image (the older the
    version, the better) or Norton Ghost to make an image of it.

    7. Use other partitions for data of your preferences.

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

    thanatoid, Jun 8, 2009

  2. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Russell W Meredith <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Thanks for your input.

    You're welcome, such as it was...

    > I don't care much for laptops
    > either. The computers I worked on before therapy were the
    > IBM Babbage machines and early vacumn tube jobs back in the
    > fifties. I did not like computers then and find as I age I
    > still don't care much for them.

    Same here, except I started in 1990 or so.

    > About every five years or so I upgrade my computer to a
    > newer model. So the few skills I have are dated. The
    > latest upgrade was a recent transition from a Dimension
    > 8100 to a Dimension 9150. Can you believe my new computer
    > has CD burning issues.

    Depending on what the "issues" are, I or someone else can help
    you.

    > Using another computer I was able to burn the CD version of
    > DSRfix. I was also able to get the D 530 laptop to attempt
    > a boot by disableing The first three items in the boot
    > sequence. Diskette, HDD, and USB storage device. The
    > laptop will not boot from the CD.

    Don't you just LOVE it? SIGH.

    > The computer shops around here charge about $75.00 an hour.
    > So it looks like I am doomed to restore from discs. A
    > simple gift item is turning into a lifetime project.

    It's horrible when that happens. It has happened to me so many
    times (not the same thing, but the same /kind/ of a thing, that
    I now use all my willpower to keep me from helping anyone with
    anything unless it's a life or death situation.

    You realize of course, that when the gift is finally presented,
    pure politeness may or may keep the recipient from bitching
    about it...

    At least when you give to Goodwill, you don't have to deal with
    the consequences...

    It's difficult to be a nice helpful person. Maybe that's why so
    many people are jerks. Survival mechanism?

    thanatoid, Jun 9, 2009

  3. thanatoid

    Mike Easter Guest

    Russell W Meredith wrote:

    > Can you believe
    > my new computer has CD burning issues.

    > Using another computer I was able to burn the CD version of DSRfix. I
    > was also able to get the D 530 laptop to attempt a boot by disableing
    > The first three items in the boot sequence. Diskette, HDD, and USB
    > storage device. The laptop will not boot from the CD.

    Will some other computer boot from that CD? Or is it a faulty CD?

    It is a fairly common problem to burn a CD which is intended to boot
    which doesn't or to have other CD burning problems, referred to as
    'making coasters'. It is generally related to user inexperience,
    sometimes media problems, burn speed issues, or occasionally the .iso
    wasn't made properly to be bootable. You should be able to tell that
    correct .iso image format from the imgburn software that Goodell
    recommended.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 9, 2009