Re: Dell restore function

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Jun 8, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Russell W Meredith wrote:
    > I bought a used Latitude D 530 laptop to be given to a high school
    > student. The owner wanted to remove all of his data and simply
    > reinstalled win xp instead of using the Dell Control + F11 restore to
    > factory specs function. Consequently all programs, utilities, and
    > drivers were lost.

    My guess is that his XP install broke the ctrl-F11 function in the mbr
    but didn't eradicate the hidden Dell partitions. If you had any kind of
    boot disk that can see the partitions, you would be able to tell if the
    restore partition and image file is there. According to goodell's site,
    dell put in a utility and restore partition.

    > Dell is sending me a restore disc and a utility disc. I wanted to
    > know if the partitions on the hdd containing the restore image had
    > been overwritten or might be recoverable. If so I could save a lot of
    > time.

    Yes you could restore while you are waiting for the delldisks.

    > I found www.goodells.net/dellrestore/files/dsrfix.zip where there is
    > an excellent explanation of the Dell restore feature. This is a DOS
    > program that requires a computer to boot into DOS. First the DSR
    > is analyzed and if repairable fixed.

    Goodell's pages and utility is useful for this problem.

    > The D 530 laptop boot sequence is: Diskette, Internal hdd, USB Storage
    > device, CD drive. Boot sequence is fixed. Any boot device can be
    > disabled.
    >
    > The D 530 is not on a list of Dell computers that have been
    > successfully restored using DSRfix.

    You are referring to the list of computers in goodell's .pdf in the
    dsrfix.zip. That's absence is not important.

    > Has anyone been able to repair the Dell Factory Specs restore feature
    > on a D 530 laptop? If I buy a USB Floppy Drive will the laptop
    > recognize it and try to boot from it first? Is it even possible to
    > boot the laptop into DOS.

    I wouldn't buy a usb floppy. I would use goodell's instructions for a
    flash drive. Many computers including some laptops have floppies for
    problems like this. A floppy was an option on the latitude 530.

    > Any suggestions will be welcome

    I would make a bootable usb and see whether or not the restore and/or
    utility partitions are still there and recoverable.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 8, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Russell W Meredith wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Russell W Meredith wrote:

    >>> The D 530 laptop boot sequence is: Diskette, Internal hdd, USB

    Storage
    >>> device, CD drive. Boot sequence is fixed. Any boot device can be
    >>> disabled.

    I haven't seen this configuration before, but it makes sense -- I
    understand how I would use it.

    >> I wouldn't buy a usb floppy.

    >> I would make a bootable usb and see whether or not the restore and/or
    >> utility partitions are still there and recoverable.

    > Thanks for the advice. I can not change the boot order.

    It isn't necessary as long as you can control what is first by disabling
    precedings.

    > When I
    > disable Diskette and HDD in the boot sequence and use a Flash drive
    > with a copy of Win 98 start up disk in a USB port I get a "No bootable
    > devices" error message.

    That is because it is very tricky to make a proper bootable USB. Here is
    a useful page that talks about a lot of different methods
    http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm How To Boot From A USB Flash Drive

    You can't just copy the boot floppy's files onto a usb -- the usb has to
    be made bootable according to several different kinds of approaches
    described on that page. That page also has a strategy for making a
    virtual floppy USB, so that those who don't have a floppy drive can boot
    from the usb and have it show up as drive A: which is important for some
    problems.

    > The Win 98 start up disc has a self
    > extracting file on it.

    I'm familiar with that disk. I was just twiddling with it yesterday to
    customize it for a CDROM which needed its own specific drivers instead of
    the lineup which is on that disk. Some files on the disk get extracted
    to a ram disk.

    > It seems to me (a newby to dos) that both the HDD and the Diskette
    > drives need to be enabled to run DSR analysis and DSRfix. If I can't
    > change boot order to place USB flash 1st and boot from it. I must
    > first disable Diskette and HDD.

    The 'disabling' in the boot sequence doesn't disable the drive. If you d
    isable the floppy (which I gather it doesn't have) and the hdd (to keep
    the XP from booting) then the next one in line is the USB. If it has
    been configured to be bootable, it can boot with the win98 files as
    you've described, but it isn't simply a matter of copying the files to
    the pendrive.

    Another option you have is to create a bootable CD, which is also
    described a lot of places. Then you would disable everything but the CD.

    > As I understand it:
    > 1. Load Win 98 start disc in the Diskette drive and allow to load.
    > 2. Eject the start disc and load DSRfix from a second floppy.
    > 3. Run DSR analysis.
    > 4. If DSR is repairabl run the fix command.
    >
    > Should this work ok?

    Now I'm confused. I was assuming that this laptop came without the
    optional floppy drive. Does it or does it not have a floppy drive? If
    it has a floppy, you don't need to use a usb or a usb floppy. If it
    doesn't have a floppy, you can do everything with a proper usb or a
    proper cd.

    > Another question. If I do have to do a reinstall from the restore and
    > utilities disc provided by Dell Support will all devices load. The
    > laptop as received from the seller had a newly installed Win XP OS
    > which has many devices yellowed out.

    Your restored XP will have all the proper drivers because it is a
    'picture' of an install with all drivers installed. If you were going to
    make the installed XP work properly, you would need to install the
    drivers which are available from dell -- this link shows 42 different
    files/drivers which are available for the d430 for XP
    http://snipr.com/jq5z6 Drivers & Downloads - Latitude D530

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 8, 2009