Re: Dell Latitude D530 driver selection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Jun 11, 2009.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Russell W Meredith <> wrote in

    > I found the DSR function on my laptop was not repairable.
    > Today I reinstalled the operating system using the disc
    > sent by Dell Support.

    I would think that /should/ provide all the necessary drivers
    but I am probably dreaming.

    > I then went to the Dell Driver
    > download page to pick up the necessary drivers.
    >
    > Too many drivers. Very confusing. I even printed out a
    > list of driver installation order.

    Well, it sounds like you are going about it the right way. There
    are no shortcuts (except the last sentence of this reply) unless
    you have an image of the C drive which most people don't.

    If you can't figure out WHICH driver, the manuals SHOULD help -
    and it appears Dell IS offering you some support, so ask them if
    you can't figure it out. Although I admit some of the names can
    be very confusing. There are 5 different network drivers to
    choose from for my Compaq desktop, and I just went with the most
    recognizable name which turned out to be the lucky guess (Intel
    10/100). But it was quite possible that I would have to
    install/uninstall 5 different drivers before I found the right
    one.

    If you don't know WHICH network driver to get, or what graphic
    chip is in your machine, look in the user manual which I told
    you to DL as well. The info you need SHOULD be in one of them,
    there are probably several manuals/diagrams/schematic packs to
    DL. That way you will know what components you have and SHOULD
    be able to figure out what driver will work with it.

    ETC.

    > I found this "Dell Latitude D530 xp Driver Recovery
    > CD.DOWNLOAD ISO" CD on the net for $20.00. It is supposed
    > to reinstall all drivers in the propper place and in the
    > right order. Automatically. Do these things work?

    Some do and some don't. If the disc you got from Dell Support
    didn't do the job I don't see why THIS one would. But it's only
    $20. Or you could possibly find it on the Usenet or in a torrent
    for free.

    > Dell did not provide a utilities disc with the recovery
    > disc. I don't mind paying for software that will get the
    > job done. Could anyone reccomend such a software package.

    I'm not clear on what you are talking about here. What
    utilities? There are thousands of "utilities", and when it comes
    to restoring laptops to functionality, most of them are called
    "tech shops" or "hammers".

    --
    Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
    are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

    thanatoid, Jun 11, 2009