    To those who posted helpful replice, thanks. For that other fool, get a life and
    go pick on someone else.

    , Sep 2, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > I posted a few days ago asking for opinions on Dell laptop computers,
    > as I'm in the market. Some lurker accused me of posting the same
    > question here and on other newsgroups, looking for praise of the
    > product, apparently thinking I have something to do with Dell.
    >
    > Well, I'm still in the market, but recently, thanks to a post I read,
    > I am now soured on Dell, due to some websearch software they install,
    > which is also reportedly spyware, which cannot be removed without
    > calling Dell and paying $49 for help in removing it.

    It uninstalls fine from the control panel. I don't understand why some users
    out there are having difficulty with it. It's been on the last 3 or 4 Dell
    system we bought at work.

    > I called Dell
    > customer support and neither person I talked too ever heard of this.

    Of course not. Dell is probably getting paid to put it on there. They aren't
    going to admit it <g>

    > Yet there's mention of it, along with instructions to remove it, by
    > going into the registry, on the Internet. So to the person who's
    > accused me of trying to sell Dell computers, read this and weep. I
    > probably won't be getting a Dell, as I wouldnt do business with a
    > company who installs malicious software then charges you to get it
    > off your hard drive. I'm now looking into Gateway and Toshiba for a
    > laptop. So does this sound like someone who works for or is promoting
    > Dell?

    Just be sure to uninstall all their automatic upgrade stuff that THEY put on
    their systems too, if it's using backweb or similar crap. There's not a
    system out there that I've seen in years that doesn't have something that
    needs to be uninstalled right out of the box.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Guest

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:51:49 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I posted a few days ago asking for opinions on Dell laptop computers,
    >> as I'm in the market. Some lurker accused me of posting the same
    >> question here and on other newsgroups, looking for praise of the
    >> product, apparently thinking I have something to do with Dell.
    >>
    >> Well, I'm still in the market, but recently, thanks to a post I read,
    >> I am now soured on Dell, due to some websearch software they install,
    >> which is also reportedly spyware, which cannot be removed without
    >> calling Dell and paying $49 for help in removing it.

    >It uninstalls fine from the control panel. I don't understand why some users
    >out there are having difficulty with it. It's been on the last 3 or 4 Dell
    >system we bought at work.
    >
    > > I called Dell
    >> customer support and neither person I talked too ever heard of this.

    >Of course not. Dell is probably getting paid to put it on there. They aren't
    >going to admit it <g>
    >
    >> Yet there's mention of it, along with instructions to remove it, by
    >> going into the registry, on the Internet. So to the person who's
    >> accused me of trying to sell Dell computers, read this and weep. I
    >> probably won't be getting a Dell, as I wouldnt do business with a
    >> company who installs malicious software then charges you to get it
    >> off your hard drive. I'm now looking into Gateway and Toshiba for a
    >> laptop. So does this sound like someone who works for or is promoting
    >> Dell?

    >Just be sure to uninstall all their automatic upgrade stuff that THEY put on
    >their systems too, if it's using backweb or similar crap. There's not a
    >system out there that I've seen in years that doesn't have something that
    >needs to be uninstalled right out of the box.
    >
    >> To those who posted helpful replice, thanks. For that other fool, get
    >> a life and go pick on someone else.

    Thanks Toolman. Here's the two sites I was sent to. Maybe you could check them
    out and comment?

    http://www.michaelrighi.com/2005/07/21/dell-spyware-my-way/

    http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml

    , Sep 3, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:51:49 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I posted a few days ago asking for opinions on Dell laptop
    >>> computers, as I'm in the market. Some lurker accused me of posting
    >>> the same question here and on other newsgroups, looking for praise
    >>> of the product, apparently thinking I have something to do with
    >>> Dell.
    >>>
    >>> Well, I'm still in the market, but recently, thanks to a post I
    >>> read, I am now soured on Dell, due to some websearch software they
    >>> install, which is also reportedly spyware, which cannot be removed
    >>> without calling Dell and paying $49 for help in removing it.

    >> It uninstalls fine from the control panel. I don't understand why
    >> some users out there are having difficulty with it. It's been on the
    >> last 3 or 4 Dell system we bought at work.
    >>
    >>> I called Dell
    >>> customer support and neither person I talked too ever heard of this.

    >> Of course not. Dell is probably getting paid to put it on there.
    >> They aren't going to admit it <g>
    >>
    >>> Yet there's mention of it, along with instructions to remove it, by
    >>> going into the registry, on the Internet. So to the person who's
    >>> accused me of trying to sell Dell computers, read this and weep. I
    >>> probably won't be getting a Dell, as I wouldnt do business with a
    >>> company who installs malicious software then charges you to get it
    >>> off your hard drive. I'm now looking into Gateway and Toshiba for a
    >>> laptop. So does this sound like someone who works for or is
    >>> promoting Dell?

    >> Just be sure to uninstall all their automatic upgrade stuff that
    >> THEY put on their systems too, if it's using backweb or similar
    >> crap. There's not a system out there that I've seen in years that
    >> doesn't have something that needs to be uninstalled right out of the
    >> box.
    >>
    >>> To those who posted helpful replice, thanks. For that other fool,
    >>> get a life and go pick on someone else.

    > Thanks Toolman. Here's the two sites I was sent to. Maybe you could
    > check them out and comment?
    >
    > http://www.michaelrighi.com/2005/07/21/dell-spyware-my-way/

    This guy admits he doesn't normally USE Windows. His problems are not
    typical in my experience.

    > http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml

    The instructions there are concise and accurate. Read it again - you'll have
    no problem with that. And as I said before, I had no problems whatsoever
    getting rid of it.

    Honestly, this is what I do when I get a computer:

    If it's for work or for myself, I erase the HD and start over clean.

    If it's for someone else who bought it with pre-installed software they want
    to keep, then

    1) before ever hooking it up to the Internet, I go into Add/Remove programs
    and delete everything I see that they should get rid of - AOL and other ISP
    pre-installs or loaders, McAffe or Norton Internet Security and/or AV
    crapware, any "automatic update" software using backweb or support.com etc.

    2) from my (made and updated in advance) utility CD, I install MS
    AntiSpyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware SE, Spyware Blaster

    3) install whatever AV software the user wants to use. Unless it's Norton or
    McAfee. I warn them off if possible and tell them to get something else.

    4) connect to the Internet; update the AV software, update the spyware
    removal tools, run ALL of them.

    Then I do any other software or customizing they need.

    Like I say, I remove everything I can. The only reason I see keeping a
    factory install is because of some of the "freebies". My HP came with a
    dozen or so COOL games <g>! My Sony came with Adobe Photoshop Elements and
    some other neat stuff.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  5. Guest

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:32:41 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:51:49 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> It uninstalls fine from the control panel. I don't understand why
    >>> some users out there are having difficulty with it. It's been on the
    >>> last 3 or 4 Dell system we bought at work.

    >>> Of course not. Dell is probably getting paid to put it on there.
    >>> They aren't going to admit it <g>

    >>> Just be sure to uninstall all their automatic upgrade stuff that
    >>> THEY put on their systems too, if it's using backweb or similar
    >>> crap. There's not a system out there that I've seen in years that
    >>> doesn't have something that needs to be uninstalled right out of the
    >>> box.

    >> Thanks Toolman. Here's the two sites I was sent to. Maybe you could
    >> check them out and comment?
    >>
    >> http://www.michaelrighi.com/2005/07/21/dell-spyware-my-way/

    >This guy admits he doesn't normally USE Windows. His problems are not
    >typical in my experience.
    >
    >> http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml

    >The instructions there are concise and accurate. Read it again - you'll have
    >no problem with that. And as I said before, I had no problems whatsoever
    >getting rid of it.
    >
    >Honestly, this is what I do when I get a computer:
    >
    >If it's for work or for myself, I erase the HD and start over clean.
    >
    >If it's for someone else who bought it with pre-installed software they want
    >to keep, then
    >
    >1) before ever hooking it up to the Internet, I go into Add/Remove programs
    >and delete everything I see that they should get rid of - AOL and other ISP
    >pre-installs or loaders, McAffe or Norton Internet Security and/or AV
    >crapware, any "automatic update" software using backweb or support.com etc.
    >
    >2) from my (made and updated in advance) utility CD, I install MS
    >AntiSpyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware SE, Spyware Blaster
    >
    >3) install whatever AV software the user wants to use. Unless it's Norton or
    >McAfee. I warn them off if possible and tell them to get something else.
    >
    >4) connect to the Internet; update the AV software, update the spyware
    >removal tools, run ALL of them.
    >
    >Then I do any other software or customizing they need.
    >
    >Like I say, I remove everything I can. The only reason I see keeping a
    >factory install is because of some of the "freebies". My HP came with a
    >dozen or so COOL games <g>! My Sony came with Adobe Photoshop Elements and
    >some other neat stuff.

    Thanks again Toolman. Excellent advice. I actually asked Dell when I called if I
    could buy a laptop with nothing more than the O/S installed, as I have
    everything I want to install here on disk. Of course their answer was no way.

    As for A/V, you seem to be anti Norton and McAfee. I use Norton System Works on
    my desktop. What would you suggest for a new laptop? As for your made up disk, I
    could just download those program on my desktop, burn to a CD and install on the
    laptop from that disk? I mean, I know I can, but is that what you're talking
    about? Just curious as to why not go online with the new system and download
    direct from the sources? I appreciate your replies.

    , Sep 3, 2005
  6. Yddap Guest

    In news:,
    <> opined very noisily:
    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:32:41 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> Thanks Toolman. Here's the two sites I was sent to. Maybe you could
    >>> check them out and comment?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.michaelrighi.com/2005/07/21/dell-spyware-my-way/

    >> This guy admits he doesn't normally USE Windows. His problems are not
    >> typical in my experience.
    >>
    >>> http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml

    >> The instructions there are concise and accurate. Read it again -
    >> you'll have no problem with that. And as I said before, I had no
    >> problems whatsoever getting rid of it.
    >>
    >> Honestly, this is what I do when I get a computer:
    >>
    >> If it's for work or for myself, I erase the HD and start over clean.
    >>
    >> If it's for someone else who bought it with pre-installed software
    >> they want to keep, then
    >>
    >> 1) before ever hooking it up to the Internet, I go into Add/Remove
    >> programs and delete everything I see that they should get rid of -
    >> AOL and other ISP pre-installs or loaders, McAffe or Norton Internet
    >> Security and/or AV crapware, any "automatic update" software using
    >> backweb or support.com etc.
    >>
    >> 2) from my (made and updated in advance) utility CD, I install MS
    >> AntiSpyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware SE, Spyware Blaster
    >>
    >> 3) install whatever AV software the user wants to use. Unless it's
    >> Norton or McAfee. I warn them off if possible and tell them to get
    >> something else.
    >>
    >> 4) connect to the Internet; update the AV software, update the
    >> spyware removal tools, run ALL of them.
    >>
    >> Then I do any other software or customizing they need.
    >>
    >> Like I say, I remove everything I can. The only reason I see keeping
    >> a factory install is because of some of the "freebies". My HP came
    >> with a dozen or so COOL games <g>! My Sony came with Adobe Photoshop
    >> Elements and some other neat stuff.

    > Thanks again Toolman. Excellent advice. I actually asked Dell when I
    > called if I could buy a laptop with nothing more than the O/S
    > installed, as I have everything I want to install here on disk. Of
    > course their answer was no way.
    >
    > As for A/V, you seem to be anti Norton and McAfee. I use Norton
    > System Works on my desktop. What would you suggest for a new laptop?
    > As for your made up disk, I could just download those program on my
    > desktop, burn to a CD and install on the laptop from that disk? I
    > mean, I know I can, but is that what you're talking about? Just
    > curious as to why not go online with the new system and download
    > direct from the sources? I appreciate your replies.

    Toolmans advice is good , what is best is to load a AV service from a disc
    before you connect
    to the internet also it is quicker to install from disc especially if you
    are D/L largeish programes
    then you are protected before you go on line
    :)
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    Yddap, Sep 3, 2005
  7. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:32:41 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> Thanks Toolman. Here's the two sites I was sent to. Maybe you could
    >>> check them out and comment?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.michaelrighi.com/2005/07/21/dell-spyware-my-way/

    >> This guy admits he doesn't normally USE Windows. His problems are not
    >> typical in my experience.
    >>
    >>> http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml

    >> The instructions there are concise and accurate. Read it again -
    >> you'll have no problem with that. And as I said before, I had no
    >> problems whatsoever getting rid of it.
    >>
    >> Honestly, this is what I do when I get a computer:
    >>
    >> If it's for work or for myself, I erase the HD and start over clean.
    >>
    >> If it's for someone else who bought it with pre-installed software
    >> they want to keep, then
    >>
    >> 1) before ever hooking it up to the Internet, I go into Add/Remove
    >> programs and delete everything I see that they should get rid of -
    >> AOL and other ISP pre-installs or loaders, McAffe or Norton Internet
    >> Security and/or AV crapware, any "automatic update" software using
    >> backweb or support.com etc.
    >>
    >> 2) from my (made and updated in advance) utility CD, I install MS
    >> AntiSpyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware SE, Spyware Blaster
    >>
    >> 3) install whatever AV software the user wants to use. Unless it's
    >> Norton or McAfee. I warn them off if possible and tell them to get
    >> something else.
    >>
    >> 4) connect to the Internet; update the AV software, update the
    >> spyware removal tools, run ALL of them.
    >>
    >> Then I do any other software or customizing they need.
    >>
    >> Like I say, I remove everything I can. The only reason I see keeping
    >> a factory install is because of some of the "freebies". My HP came
    >> with a dozen or so COOL games <g>! My Sony came with Adobe Photoshop
    >> Elements and some other neat stuff.

    > Thanks again Toolman. Excellent advice. I actually asked Dell when I
    > called if I could buy a laptop with nothing more than the O/S
    > installed, as I have everything I want to install here on disk. Of
    > course their answer was no way.
    >
    > As for A/V, you seem to be anti Norton and McAfee. I use Norton
    > System Works on my desktop.

    It's not so much anti Norton/McAfee, it's Anti-BloatWare. Period. No matter
    who wrote it. In fact, as a Windows XP user, I find that Windows XP itself
    is bloatware in many ways. Un-needed bells and whistles. I turn almost all
    of that off.

    At work, we have the "corporate" version of McAfee - again, smaller, less
    pervasive than the "Suite" they sell to home users.

    The Norton System Works is not as bad as the Security Suite. I have a 2003
    version and will NOT upgrade the software, but (as long as they let me) will
    buy the annual subscription to keep it updated. Also, I do a CUSTOM install
    of System Works. And this is why I still use it on my own PCs - the older
    version is less demanding of system resources, and less pervasive of the OS.
    My custom install is the AV and Speed Disk, Disk Doctor, and WipeInfo. (I
    don't need WipeInfo often - but I'll use it to clean hard drives from work
    before getting rid of old computers.)

    > What would you suggest for a new laptop?

    Since my ISP provides AV/FW software, I use that on the system that doesn't
    have the above older version of Norton. I believe it's from F-Secure, but
    the ISP branding is all I see. You can find some good reviews of AV software
    on the Internet. The truth is, I think even the free AVG or Avast, properly
    updated, combined with good surfing and email habits, is satisfactory for
    most users. I found this article quite interesting:

    http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm

    > As for your made up disk, I could just download those program on my
    > desktop, burn to a CD and install on the laptop from that disk? I
    > mean, I know I can, but is that what you're talking about?

    That's exactly right. I use a CDRW so I can update it as necessary. Or I use
    my external USB hard drive.

    > Just
    > curious as to why not go online with the new system and download
    > direct from the sources? I appreciate your replies.

    1) I like to see what is ON the system when I get it! Point in case: in 1995
    I bought a brand spankin' new Compaq computer. Unopened. No human hands had
    touched that thing after the factory. It had a virus on the system. Yup -
    right out of the box. And, a couple years later, when I set the system back
    up from the system restore CDs, the virus was BACK! It wasn't just on the
    hard drive, it was on the masters. And it was the spyware detection tools
    that first made me aware of Dell putting that mywebsearch stuff on the
    machine.

    2) If I've uninstalled the 'security suites' it isn't a good idea to go
    online. Even if I have AV on there, I still like to have everything in place
    first. Like the browser protection tools in Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster.
    Granted, I'm very unlikely to get to a 'bad' website, but just in case...

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  8. PC Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    Very big snip

    > I found this article quite interesting:
    >
    > http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm

    Liked those articles, fits in with my experience (informally, no 'tests' as
    such)

    >> As for your made up disk, I could just download those program on my
    >> desktop, burn to a CD and install on the laptop from that disk? I
    >> mean, I know I can, but is that what you're talking about?

    > That's exactly right. I use a CDRW so I can update it as necessary. Or I
    > use my external USB hard drive.

    more snipping

    I used to burn CDR's with Ad-Aware, Spybot etc but found I was burning a CD
    a day at one stage just to have the latest Virus / Spyware def's with me.
    I tried CDRW's but found to many onsite problems (old dusty CD readers)
    Thankfully with most of my clients on hardware with working USB ports now I
    switched to a USB memory stick for the latest copies of AV & AS, while
    leaving the other 'handy' stuff on CDR for maximum readability (Open Office,
    Gimp, RockXP, Process Explorer etc)

    On another subject, you know how we both 'agree' on backups etc (a) do it,
    (b) multiple copies offsite (c) check restore (d) keep doing it.
    I had a job yesterday that was a 'classic'.
    Server running an Accounting program and product database, crashed
    overnight, please help.
    Servers C: drive had died completely (won't even spin up)
    OK your data's gone west what's your Disaster Recovery Plan? (blank look)
    OK then well need a new HD, OS, Drivers etc and of course your last data
    backup.
    Backup oh yes we do that daily on that workstation over there.
    So I send the inhouse IT employee (maintains the website) over to check it
    out only for him to come back very sad faced a few minutes later.

    Yep you gessed it the backup log showed a successfull backup the previous
    night ..... to the B.....Y SERVER!

    Sheesh!

    Hava nice day.
    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Sep 3, 2005
  9. Toolman Tim Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >

    > Very big snip
    >
    >> I found this article quite interesting:
    >>
    >> http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm

    > Liked those articles, fits in with my experience (informally, no
    > 'tests' as such)

    Exactly. I don't have time to run tests, but to see that the information I
    get from practical use is consistent with other's experience is good to
    know.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  10. dwåcôn Guest

    > wrote:

    >> Well, I'm still in the market, but recently, thanks to a post I read,
    >> I am now soured on Dell, due to some websearch software they install,
    >> which is also reportedly spyware, which cannot be removed without
    >> calling Dell and paying $49 for help in removing it.

    Buy HP.

    --
    I made magic once. Now, the sofa is gone...
    http://www.dwacon.com

    dwåcôn, Sep 3, 2005
  11. Toolman Tim Guest

    dwåcôn wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:

    >>> Well, I'm still in the market, but recently, thanks to a post I
    >>> read, I am now soured on Dell, due to some websearch software they
    >>> install, which is also reportedly spyware, which cannot be removed
    >>> without calling Dell and paying $49 for help in removing it.

    > Buy HP.

    Which comes with backweb.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005