Re: DELL dumps Lunix PC's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by AD., Jul 27, 2010.

  1. AD.

    AD. Guest

    AD., Jul 27, 2010

  2. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Jul 28, 4:48 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > Not a refutation in any sense.  All that blogster has is a statement from
    > Canonical claiming the story isn't true -- What a surprise !

    It wasn't just one Canonical quote, did you miss the one from Dell:

    "Dell has no plans to discontinue its Ubuntu offerings."

    The original blog post had less going for it than that. It just jumped
    to its own conclusions.

    > Meanwhile,
    > count how many PCs you can find on Dell's UK website that come with Ubuntu
    > as an option. Any? How about the US website?

    Maybe you didn't actually follow the links on that page:
    http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    > How about the NZ website? China
    > anyone? Face it, Ubuntu isn't helping Dell sell PCs -- Dell knows that,
    > Canonical knows that -- heck, even you know that. Why that urge to defend
    > the indefensible?

    That may or may not be true, but that wasn't what was claimed. What is
    indefensible is the claim that Dell has stopped selling Ubuntu PCs.
    There is no evidence that they stopped, yet there is evidence that
    they still are and don't plan to stop.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 28, 2010

  3. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Jul 28, 11:29 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > No, what was claimed was that Dell has stopped selling Ubuntu PCs in the UK,

    No, Wogers claim was "Dell dumps Lunix PC's". That is the claim I
    replied to, and that claim is obviously false.

    > and you've done nothing to refute that claim.

    There's still at least model on the UK site:
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/bus...ct.aspx?refid=latit&s=bsd&~ck=anav&cs=ukbsdt1
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...=N4X13001&l=en&oc=L0513005&rbc=L0513005&s=bsd

    It all depends on how you define "stopped selling" I suppose. I would
    assume "stopped selling" would mean zero models for sale.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 28, 2010
  4. AD.

    AD. Guest

    On Jul 29, 1:31 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "AD." <> wrote in message
    > > No, Wogers claim was "Dell dumps Lunix PC's". That is the claim I
    > > replied to, and that claim is obviously false.

    > This is the report that sparked the OP:

    Was it? Or was Woger just repeating the rumours and sensationalist
    headlines that implied Dell everywhere was dropping it altogether?

    His title certainly matches the rumour better than that report. And he
    probably would've included a link (like he normally does) if he was
    responding to a specific report.

    ie "Dell dumps Lunix PC's" better matches that rumour than "Dell UK
    takes Ubuntu PCs off its website, but still sells them over the
    phone."

    So either Wogers post was sparked by other reports, or he was guilty
    of his own wild exaggeration (something you seem to enjoy). Either
    way, his claim wasn't accurate.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 29, 2010
  5. AD.

    Simon Guest

    On Jul 28, 11:57 pm, "AD." <> wrote:

    > It all depends on how you define "stopped selling" I suppose. I would
    > assume "stopped selling" would mean zero models for sale.

    Agreed. It appears that they're simply not promoting it as fiercely as
    they were before.

    We're still able to pre-order PC's from HP with Linux pre-installed.
    So even if Dell did stop selling (providing) Linux as even an option,
    there are certainly other manufacturers out there who are prepared to
    offer it.

    Simon, Jul 31, 2010
  6. AD.

    victor Guest

    On 1/08/2010 10:21 a.m., impossible wrote:

    > "Simon" <> wrote in message
    >> On Jul 28, 11:57 pm, "AD." <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It all depends on how you define "stopped selling" I suppose. I would
    >>> assume "stopped selling" would mean zero models for sale.

    >> Agreed. It appears that they're simply not promoting it as fiercely as
    >> they were before.
    >>

    > Dell **never** promoted linux "fiercely". Now it doesn't promote it at all.

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/16608/dell_expands_ubuntu_linux_desktop_offerings?source=rss_blogs

    Still bullshitting eh ?

    http://linux.dell.com/
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/linux/consumer-linux.aspx

    >> We're still able to pre-order PC's from HP with Linux pre-installed.
    >> So even if Dell did stop selling (providing) Linux as even an option,
    >> there are certainly other manufacturers out there who are prepared to
    >> offer it.

    > HP doesn't promote linux either.

    http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/success_stories/index.html

    Both companies are corporate members of the Linux Foundation which means
    they contribute their share to Linux development.

    Back in the bozo bin moron.

    victor, Jul 31, 2010
  7. AD.

    victor Guest

    On 1/08/2010 6:39 p.m., impossible wrote:

    > No linux machines for sale there either.

    A "linux machine" ?????

    what a dick !!

    victor, Jul 31, 2010
  8. AD.

    victor Guest

    victor, Aug 1, 2010
  9. AD.

    victor Guest

    On 3/08/2010 11:04 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Do not waste your time providing data to impossible. It will be ignored.
    > Troll; feeding; don't. :) :)

    Its more for the interest of others.
    To note that Linux seems to be quite a growth area for Dell. They have a
    Linux engineering team that collaborates with the various linux
    distributions and works closely with Canonical. They have customers who
    run Linux on Dell on some quite advanced research projects like a few
    thousand at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research.

    http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b...010/07/27/dell-openmanage-6-3-for-ubuntu.aspx

    Their flagship Dell Streak tablet/phone device about to be released is
    also Android

    And Ubuntu has some pretty wide acceptance now, from Weta Digitals HP
    blade 45,000 core water cooled cluster for Avatar, to Dell netbooks.

    victor, Aug 2, 2010

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 3, 2010
  11. AD.

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 01:28:36 +1200
    victor <> wrote:

    > On 3/08/2010 11:04 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >

    > > Do not waste your time providing data to impossible. It will be
    > > ignored. Troll; feeding; don't. :) :)
    > >

    > Its more for the interest of others.
    > To note that Linux seems to be quite a growth area for Dell. They
    > have a Linux engineering team that collaborates with the various
    > linux distributions and works closely with Canonical. They have
    > customers who run Linux on Dell on some quite advanced research
    > projects like a few thousand at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric
    > Research.
    >
    > http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b...010/07/27/dell-openmanage-6-3-for-ubuntu.aspx
    >
    > Their flagship Dell Streak tablet/phone device about to be released
    > is also Android
    >
    > And Ubuntu has some pretty wide acceptance now, from Weta Digitals HP
    > blade 45,000 core water cooled cluster for Avatar, to Dell netbooks.

    Hi
    They are also present on the openSUSE Build Service;
    https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=isv:dell:community

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.13-0.5-default

    Malcolm, Aug 3, 2010
  12. In article <i37rbm$p5r$>, victor <> wrote:
    >On 3/08/2010 11:04 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    >> Do not waste your time providing data to impossible. It will be ignored.
    >> Troll; feeding; don't. :) :)

    >Its more for the interest of others.
    >To note that Linux seems to be quite a growth area for Dell. They have a
    >Linux engineering team that collaborates with the various linux
    >distributions and works closely with Canonical. They have customers who
    >run Linux on Dell on some quite advanced research projects like a few
    >thousand at NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research.
    >http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/enterprise/b/tech-center/archive/2010/0
    >7/27/dell-openmanage-6-3-for-ubuntu.aspx
    >Their flagship Dell Streak tablet/phone device about to be released is
    >also Android
    >And Ubuntu has some pretty wide acceptance now, from Weta Digitals HP
    >blade 45,000 core water cooled cluster for Avatar, to Dell netbooks.

    I know that (now :) ). You know that. But even if impossible reads and
    understands that, its acceptance level will be zero. Faith and fanatics are
    like that ... as are the terminally stupid. :)
    Start another thread ? ... but I really think replying will only encourage
    it. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 3, 2010
  13. AD.

    victor Guest

    On 3/08/2010 4:02 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    ..

    > I know that (now :) ). You know that. But even if impossible reads and
    > understands that, its acceptance level will be zero. Faith and fanatics are
    > like that ... as are the terminally stupid. :)
    > Start another thread ? ... but I really think replying will only encourage
    > it. :)

    It can't resist following my links ;-)

    victor, Aug 3, 2010
  14. AD.

    Gib Bogle Guest

    The plural of "PC" is "PCs". "PC's" means "belonging to PC".

    HTH

    Gib Bogle, Aug 30, 2010
  15. AD.

    Enkidu Guest

    On 30/08/10 18:22, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > The plural of "PC" is "PCs". "PC's" means "belonging to PC".

    Or "PC is"

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles