Re: deleting history

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Close your browser and delete the history from Control Panel.
    Also, knowing what operating system you have might help.

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:05:26 +0100, in
    <bhq1c3$gf3$>
    Roger Curtis scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2003

  2. °Mike°

    Roger Curtis Guest

    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:05:26 +0100, in
    > <bhq1c3$gf3$>
    > Roger Curtis scrawled:
    >
    > >On Internet Explorer when I want to delete the history files via:
    > >
    > >tools/internet options/clear history
    > >
    > >nothing happens. The files remain visible when I click on the History

    icon.
    > >It used to work ... Any ideas on how to get the feature back?
    > >
    > >Roger C
    > >

    > Basic computer maintenance

    Thanks for the advice sent out guys.

    I have tried the suggestions received: ie re-starting the PC and clearing
    history from the control panel - but I still have the same problem - all
    web sites visited are still displayed when I click on the history icon.

    The list of files disappears when using the sequence "tools/internet
    options/delete files". Clicking on "settings" and "view files" after this
    gives a list of cookies, as I would expect.

    I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

    This is really bugging me 'cos up until a week ago the thing worked just
    dandy!

    Roger C

    Roger Curtis, Aug 18, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    Roger Curtis Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Your history folder may be damaged; delete it and reboot.
    >
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
    >
    > How To: [example] Delete the History folder: [XP\2K\NT]
    > To delete your own History folder if you have administrative rights:
    > Log on as a user with administrative rights.
    > Note: If the built in Administrator account has a problem with the History
    > folder, create a new user account and make this user a member of the
    > Administrators group.

    Once again thanks for the suggestions, but ............

    Tried that and I get a couple opf windows

    1] "Do you want to send History to recyccle bin? Yes/No"

    Select Yes

    2] "History is a Windows system folder and cannot be deleted"!

    The user account I log on with is classed as a computer administrator.

    Roger Curtis, Aug 19, 2003
  4. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:26:35 +0100, in
    <bhsmvo$r5l$>
    Roger Curtis scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Your history folder may be damaged; delete it and reboot.
    >>
    >> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
    >>
    >> How To: [example] Delete the History folder: [XP\2K\NT]
    >> To delete your own History folder if you have administrative rights:
    >> Log on as a user with administrative rights.
    >> Note: If the built in Administrator account has a problem with the History
    >> folder, create a new user account and make this user a member of the
    >> Administrators group.

    >Once again thanks for the suggestions, but ............
    >
    >Tried that and I get a couple opf windows
    >
    >1] "Do you want to send History to recyccle bin? Yes/No"
    >
    >Select Yes
    >
    >2] "History is a Windows system folder and cannot be deleted"!
    >
    >The user account I log on with is classed as a computer administrator.
    >
    >Roger C

    Did you follow the instructions to the letter?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 19, 2003