Re: Delayed startup

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by dennis meissner, May 2, 2008.

  1. "dogbreath" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Dimension 4300. Every morning I come and push the
    > power-on button and it starts right up. Almost always. A couple of
    > times now I push the power-on button and nothing happens. So I push it
    > again. And again. Nothing. A few minutes later it starts up all by
    > itself.
    >
    > That's happened twice. The first time, I opened it up and blew the
    > dust out of it with the vacuum cleaner. There was a lot of dust, maybe
    > four years' worth. When I got it pretty clean I tried the power-on
    > button again and nothing happens. I'm thinking I'm going to spend the
    > day measuring power supply voltages, and while I'm standing there
    > looking at it, it starts up, all by itself.
    >
    > It starts up fine for the next few days, and today again there's no
    > response to the power-on button. I press it again a few times, and
    > again nothing. I'm thinking it's more than dust causing this problem.
    > A few minutes later it starts up, again all by itself.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to what's causing this would be much appreciated.

    my old p4 system (asus p4t533-c) based system did exactly what you are
    describing...
    for me it was the cmos battery.

    Cleaning is important. but might want to try a battery as a first replaced
    component.

    battery is definitely cheaper than a powersupply.

    dennis

    dennis meissner, May 2, 2008

  2. dennis meissner

    Guest

    On 2 May, 14:26, "dennis meissner" <> wrote:
    > "dogbreath" <> wrote in message

    > >I have a Dell Dimension 4300. Every morning I come and push the
    > > power-on button and it starts right up. Almost always. A couple of
    > > times now I push the power-on button and nothing happens. So I push it
    > > again. And again. Nothing. A few minutes later it starts up all by
    > > itself.

    > > That's happened twice. The first time, I opened it up and blew the
    > > dust out of it with the vacuum cleaner. There was a lot of dust, maybe
    > > four years' worth. When I got it pretty clean I tried the power-on
    > > button again and nothing happens. I'm thinking I'm going to spend the
    > > day measuring power supply voltages, and while I'm standing there
    > > looking at it, it starts up, all by itself.

    > > It starts up fine for the next few days, and today again there's no
    > > response to the power-on button. I press it again a few times, and
    > > again nothing. I'm thinking it's more than dust causing this problem.
    > > A few minutes later it starts up, again all by itself.

    > > Any suggestions as to what's causing this would be much appreciated.

    > my old p4 system (asus p4t533-c) based system did exactly what you are
    > describing...
    > for me it was the cmos battery.
    >
    > Cleaning is important. but might want to try a battery as a first replaced
    > component.
    >
    > battery is definitely cheaper than a powersupply.
    >
    > dennis-

    I find that hard to believe.

    I think when the CMOS battery is low, the clocks slows. But when it is
    out, the computer still Always turns on. The computer beeps, and the
    BIOS resets.. and you can still get to the BIOS.

    Similarly, the guy that thought dust in the PSU would stop the
    computer turning on. Nonsense.

    And he should not be cleaning his computer with a vacuum cleaner!!
    Doing that is a joke!

    There are air canisters - they blow. A vacuum cleaner is a bit
    aggressive, it may even create static..

    , May 2, 2008

  3. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "dennis meissner" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "dogbreath" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a Dell Dimension 4300. Every morning I come and push the
    >>> power-on button and it starts right up. Almost always. A couple of
    >>> times now I push the power-on button and nothing happens. So I push it
    >>> again. And again. Nothing. A few minutes later it starts up all by
    >>> itself.
    >>>
    >>> That's happened twice. The first time, I opened it up and blew the
    >>> dust out of it with the vacuum cleaner. There was a lot of dust, maybe
    >>> four years' worth. When I got it pretty clean I tried the power-on
    >>> button again and nothing happens. I'm thinking I'm going to spend the
    >>> day measuring power supply voltages, and while I'm standing there
    >>> looking at it, it starts up, all by itself.
    >>>
    >>> It starts up fine for the next few days, and today again there's no
    >>> response to the power-on button. I press it again a few times, and
    >>> again nothing. I'm thinking it's more than dust causing this problem.
    >>> A few minutes later it starts up, again all by itself.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions as to what's causing this would be much appreciated.
    >>>

    >> my old p4 system (asus p4t533-c) based system did exactly what you are
    >> describing...
    >> for me it was the cmos battery.
    >>
    >> Cleaning is important. but might want to try a battery as a first
    >> replaced component.
    >>
    >> battery is definitely cheaper than a powersupply.
    >>
    >> dennis
    >>

    > If CMOS battery , wouldn't it ( didn't it) prompt you at power on with
    > BIOS screen ? Rather than 'normal boot'.

    maybe it's just something with that type of asus mb.... just passing on my
    experience. Once
    I replaced the cmos battery the system powered up each time as normal....
    every time!

    Dennis

    dennis meissner, May 2, 2008
  4. dennis meissner

    Bluesplayer Guest

    On 2 May, 22:49, "dennis meissner" <> wrote:
    > "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > "dennis meissner" <> wrote in message

    > >> "dogbreath" <> wrote in message

    > >> my old p4 system (asus p4t533-c) based system did exactly what you are
    > >> describing...
    > >> for me it was the cmos battery.

    > >> Cleaning is important. but might want to try a battery as a first
    > >> replaced component.

    > >> battery is definitely cheaper than a powersupply.

    > >> dennis

    > > If CMOS battery , wouldn't it ( didn't it) prompt you at power on with
    > > BIOS screen ? Rather than 'normal boot'.

    > maybe it's just something with that type of asus mb.... just passing on my
    > experience. Once
    > I replaced the cmos battery the system powered up each time as normal....
    > every time!
    >
    > Dennis

    The battery has nothing to do with the power supply , it just stores
    your clock and bios pre sets . Like pushing off a diesal car , once
    the motor spins its away all day .

    Bluesplayer, May 2, 2008