Re: DEL Hard Drive

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jekyll and Hyde, Oct 8, 2008.

  1. "OZZY Boy" <> wrote in message

    > 80Gig WD hard drive removed from a DELL PC running XP Pro.
    >
    > Was told that it crashed, I don't have a monitor to use with the DELL
    > PC..
    >
    > But if I plug the HD into my PC its show up in Disk Manager as a 31MB FAT
    > EISA and a separate 74.xx
    > GB with a Drive letter, but it list as not being formatted and has no FAT
    > listed..
    >
    > Is this normal?
    >
    > Customer want me to recover some DATA but I see none..

    Download or buy this...

    Top 5 Data Recovery Apps All-in-One (5-in-1) (Google it).

    And use "Easy Recovery" to copy the files to another drive.
    Under no circumstances write anything to the drive you are recovering until
    you have confirmed you have recovered all the "lost" files onto the other
    drive.

    Then attempt the FAT recovery procedures in Easy Recovery to see if is just
    damaged FAT causing the problems.

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Oct 8, 2008

  2. In message <>, Jekyll and Hyde wrote:

    > Under no circumstances write anything to the drive you are recovering ...

    Mounting it read-only is absolutely essential.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2008

  3. "OZZY Boy" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 19:45:31 +1300, "Jekyll and Hyde"
    > <jekyll&> wrote:
    >
    >>"OZZY Boy" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> 80Gig WD hard drive removed from a DELL PC running XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Was told that it crashed, I don't have a monitor to use with the DELL
    >>> PC..
    >>>
    >>> But if I plug the HD into my PC its show up in Disk Manager as a 31MB
    >>> FAT
    >>> EISA and a separate 74.xx
    >>> GB with a Drive letter, but it list as not being formatted and has no
    >>> FAT
    >>> listed..
    >>>
    >>> Is this normal?
    >>>
    >>> Customer want me to recover some DATA but I see none..

    >>Download or buy this...
    >>
    >>Top 5 Data Recovery Apps All-in-One (5-in-1) (Google it).
    >>
    >>And use "Easy Recovery" to copy the files to another drive.
    >>Under no circumstances write anything to the drive you are recovering
    >>until
    >>you have confirmed you have recovered all the "lost" files onto the other
    >>drive.
    >>
    >>Then attempt the FAT recovery procedures in Easy Recovery to see if is
    >>just
    >>damaged FAT causing the problems.
    >>
    >>J&H.
    >>

    > There are No files or even a FAT..?

    It may appear that way, (if track 0 is overwritten for example).
    You need to scan the drive with a recovery utility to confirm that.
    Even if the drive has been formatted Easy Recovery can restore the files.

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Oct 8, 2008
  4. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > There are No files or even a FAT..?

    Have you made an image copy of the drive, or are you still stuffing around
    with the original?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008
  5. Jekyll and Hyde

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:11:02 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are No files or even a FAT..?

    >> Have you made an image copy of the drive, or are you still stuffing around
    >> with the original?

    > Sorry I do not have a spare drives that is big enough..
    >
    > Sorry I do have some 177GB on my USB drive.
    >

    > And No I am not stuffing up the drive I do have some sense and have been in the Computer industry
    > for some 30 years or more..
    >
    > I think the only Image software I have is Ghost, but have only used to copy from one drive to
    > another, and yes from memory did do some Image files of a few hard drives, but they had files and
    > were fully working FAT32 Drives..
    >

    > I guess I need to do a Sector backup of the total drive but First I need to scan the drive for
    > Sector errors, not that easy in DOS as it connected to a IDE Controller..
    >
    > And I don't think XP allows to do access the drive as sector level..?

    IIRC Ghost has a switch to skip unreadable sectors when doing a sector
    copy of a drive.

    EMB, Oct 9, 2008
  6. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:11:02 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>Have you made an image copy of the drive, or are you still stuffing around
    >>with the original?

    > Sorry I do not have a spare drives that is big enough..
    >
    > Sorry I do have some 177GB on my USB drive.

    750GB drives are only a couple of hundred dollars now. How much is your
    customer's data worth?

    > And No I am not stuffing up the drive I do have some sense and have been
    > in the Computer industry for some 30 years or more..

    If you really have had that much experience with situations where you could
    end up compounding the loss of data like this, then you would already have
    been doing what I advised you to do, instead of continuing to insist that
    you know better.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008
  7. Jekyll and Hyde

    EMB Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Plus I think DELL has a boot up utile that could fix it, but I need a screen to do that..

    Why won't your existing monitor work with the Dell?

    EMB, Oct 9, 2008
  8. Jekyll and Hyde

    Richard Guest

    OZZY Boy wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:16:16 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>> Plus I think DELL has a boot up utile that could fix it, but I need a screen to do that..

    >> Why won't your existing monitor work with the Dell?

    > Yes but I also need my computer conected to the Net, does not work with out a Monitor..

    Perhaps you should get yourself a kvm switch if 2 monitors is such a
    problem for you?

    Richard, Oct 10, 2008