Re: DEL Hard Drive, Update

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Cima, Oct 8, 2008.

  1. Cima

    Cima Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:05:48 +1300, OZZY Boy
    <> wrote:

    >80Gig WD hard drive removed from a DELL PC running XP Pro.
    >
    >Was told that it crashed, I don't have a monitor to use with the DELL PC..
    >
    >But if I plug the HD into my PC its show up in Disk Manager as a 31MB FAT EISA and a separate 74.xx
    >GB with a Drive letter, but it list as not being formatted and has no FAT listed..
    >
    >Is this normal?

    EISA is a Dell recovery partition. Are you able to make an image of the drive?
    (although whether or not Ghost or TI can id the EISA thing is another question)
    Cima, Oct 8, 2008

  2. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > I don't have a spare dive large enough as a backup.

    Bloody get one, instead of fumbling around like a hamfisted amateur.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008

  3. Cima

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Cima <> wrote in

    >>80Gig WD hard drive removed from a DELL PC running XP Pro.
    >>
    >>Was told that it crashed, I don't have a monitor to use with the
    >>DELL PC..
    >>
    >>But if I plug the HD into my PC its show up in Disk Manager as a 31MB
    >>FAT EISA and a separate 74.xx GB with a Drive letter, but it list as
    >>not being formatted and has no FAT listed..
    >>
    >>Is this normal?
    >>

    > EISA is a Dell recovery partition. Are you able to make an image of
    > the drive? (although whether or not Ghost or TI can id the EISA thing
    > is another question)

    Get a big hdd to copy the data to.
    Download and run :
    http://www.r-studio.com/
    R-Studio and R-Studio Emergency DEMO allow you to evaluate how all R-
    Studio family utilities recover lost files. The only limitation is that
    DEMO versions do not recover files larger than 64KB.

    You can preview most of the files found by R-Studio DEMO version
    regardless of file size, but please note R-Studio Emergency DEMO doesn't
    support file preview option.

    The DEMO versions can be registered on on-the-fly and no reinstallation
    required. When R-Studio Demo version has found a lost file larger than
    64KB you may simply double click the file to preview it. If you are
    satisfied with the file content you may buy the R-Studio registration
    key, register the software and recover the file right away.

    However, if there is enough disk space on any additional hard drive or on
    an alternative media we always recommend our customers to create an image
    of the recognized partition where the lost files were found, because
    Windows OS constantly writes some information on disks and there is a
    risk that the sectors where the deleted files reside may be overwritten.
    If that happens, the files still may be found, but may contain incorrect
    data or cannot be found at all. The created image can be processed the
    same way as the original partition.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Oct 9, 2008
  4. In message <Xns9B3321CBB335daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor
    wrote:

    > R-Studio and R-Studio Emergency DEMO allow you to evaluate how all R-
    > Studio family utilities recover lost files. The only limitation is that
    > DEMO versions do not recover files larger than 64KB.

    Another tout for crippleware is the last thing we need.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2008
  5. In message <14u59o2trrais$.kg71fgzdrgnb$>, Bret wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 02:00:05 +1300, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >
    >> Did not work can up with stakes of files with mixed FAT versions.

    > You inviting us for dinner?

    Maybe if you try the words in a different order:

    Did mixed can with FAT files with work not up stakes of versions.

    Nope ...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 10, 2008
  6. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > I am in a lot of Pain so things can get a bit disturbed with my mind..
    >
    > I have Sciatica in both feet, plus back problems, a Bakers Cyst in my
    > right nee, and now Arthritis in my left hand..

    Sorry, didn't realize...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2008
  7. Re: DELL Hard Drive, Update

    In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Damaged my back some 30-40 Years ago Lifting the Flexiwriter into the
    > back of a Holden station wagon, you know the ones with a Tail gate, had to
    > bend my back, to shift it into the back of the car.
    >
    > The Flexiwriter was a BIG Metal typewriter that punched and read 8/5 hole
    > paper tape, plus it did a lot of other things as well, Totally electrical
    > Mechanical

    They keep telling you to keep your back straight. I suppose in a situation
    like that, having to give up and say you can't put the thing in while
    keeping your back straight, makes you seem like a wimp, so you go ahead and
    risk it...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2008