Re: Defrag killed hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Jun 30, 2009.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    j wrote:
    > I have a 120 gig external hard drive. I used the Windows defragmenter on it
    > today and I cancelled the defrag because it was taking too long. After
    > cancelling the defrag, the drive ceased working.
    >
    > When the drive worked, windows explorer identified it as "Newkirk 120" and
    > allowed me to see it's directory tree. Since cancelling the defrag, explorer
    > now identifies it as "local drive H" and will not show me it's directory
    > tree. It acts as if the drive is an unformatted empty drive.
    >
    > Does anyone have knowledge of this type of problem and what to do about it?

    Hi there

    As already mentioned by TeeJay try using checkdisk, as its an external
    drive you can do it without the recovery console, depending on what
    version of windows you are using you should be able to right click on
    your drive, property's, tools then check now, make sure automatically
    fix errors is selected, if that does not work there are various
    programs you can use for data recovery, such as:

    Restoration (freeware worth a try, no cost), its a bit hit and miss tho.
    Lost and found, get data back (ntfs and fat versions sold separately),
    Undelete, there's also whole hard drive recovery tools also such as
    spinrite.

    If the data is unimportant and the drive is dying you should just
    replace the drive, however it is possible that the filesystem is just
    damaged and the physical drive is ok, if so it should be fine to
    reformat and use, out of all the programs I listed for recovery the best
    one (in my opinion) is Get data Back, I've had huge success with that
    program, spinrite is supposed to be the best hard drive
    recovery/maintenance program out there however in my experience I have
    only had it successfully work once out of dozens of hard drives its also
    very slow, best results (for me) would be to use get data back and copy
    off the data to another drive (don't save to the drive you are recovering)

    Good luck, hopefully checkdisk will work for you.

    JD
    JD, Jun 30, 2009