Re: Debian AMD64 Test Poast

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Desk Rabbit, Jul 9, 2010.

  1. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 09/07/2010 14:13, Meat Plow wrote:
    > Well I'm giving Lenny 64bit Live a test drive. Getting tired of the damn
    > Pan crashes, in Mandriva 2010 32 bit Maybe that won't happen in this
    > 64bit world. If all goes well with the test drive I probably will install
    > it on this quad core PhenomII AMD powered box. Seams pretty smooth so far.

    I think there is a fault in the 64bit grammar/spell checker ;-)

    Desk Rabbit, Jul 9, 2010

  2. Desk Rabbit

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 09/07/2010 15:26, Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:50:50 +0100, Desk Rabbit<>wrote:
    >
    >> On 09/07/2010 14:13, Meat Plow wrote:
    >>> Well I'm giving Lenny 64bit Live a test drive. Getting tired of the damn
    >>> Pan crashes, in Mandriva 2010 32 bit Maybe that won't happen in this
    >>> 64bit world. If all goes well with the test drive I probably will install
    >>> it on this quad core PhenomII AMD powered box. Seams pretty smooth so far.

    >> I think there is a fault in the 64bit grammar/spell checker ;-)

    > I'll make not of taht. I is installin teh netinstall version. Noneed
    > to download DVD size media since I can get everything over a
    > 25 mbps connection.
    >
    > Lenny seems very similar to Mandriva. The package manager GUI is
    > similar enough to configure the depositories and I've used apt-get
    > zillions of times in ubuntu. It's very similar to urpmi in it does a
    > good job autodetecting the dependencies. I'd say 99% of the hardware
    > in this new Asus + AMD PhenomII quad core box is detected right off
    > the live disc so that's a good sign. Wasn't able to get this VIA HD
    > sound going but that isn't an issue. I also have an M-Audio
    > multi-channel card for recording that it sees just fine and that can
    > be used until the VIA can be configured. lspci show the hardware i
    > just didn't figure out how to get alsa to use it. No biggie.

    Sounds cool Must giv it a try.

    I love the Maudio cards but I'm a coward and stick with Windows for the
    recording stuff particularly as people pay me to do it. Buggering around
    with a Linux box although a lot of fun is not my idea of earning a
    living ;-)

    Desk Rabbit, Jul 9, 2010

  3. Desk Rabbit

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 16:05:21 +0100, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > On 09/07/2010 15:26, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> I think there is a fault in the 64bit grammar/spell checker ;-)

    >> I'll make not of taht. I is installin teh netinstall version. Noneed to
    >> download DVD size media since I can get everything over a 25 mbps
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> Lenny seems very similar to Mandriva. The package manager GUI is
    >> similar enough to configure the depositories and I've used apt-get
    >> zillions of times in ubuntu. It's very similar to urpmi in it does a
    >> good job autodetecting the dependencies. I'd say 99% of the hardware in
    >> this new Asus + AMD PhenomII quad core box is detected right off the
    >> live disc so that's a good sign. Wasn't able to get this VIA HD sound
    >> going but that isn't an issue. I also have an M-Audio multi-channel
    >> card for recording that it sees just fine and that can be used until
    >> the VIA can be configured. lspci show the hardware i just didn't figure
    >> out how to get alsa to use it. No biggie.

    > Sounds cool Must giv it a try.
    >
    > I love the Maudio cards but I'm a coward and stick with Windows for the
    > recording stuff particularly as people pay me to do it. Buggering around
    > with a Linux box although a lot of fun is not my idea of earning a
    > living ;-)

    Well haven't got sound to work yet. Plugin for MMS streaming doesn't seem
    to work. Compiz, old version, no Emerald theme, no native GLX for NVidia.
    I might wipe it and put Mandriva 32 and see what gives. The little extra
    RAM seen by running a 64bit os isn't as important as a couple comfort
    things like sound, working flash and MMS.

    Meat Plow, Jul 9, 2010
  4. Desk Rabbit

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 16:05:21 +0100, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > Buggering around
    > with a Linux box although a lot of fun is not my idea of earning a
    > living ;-)

    Ever chat with DUH-ane Arnold?

    :)

    Aardvark, Jul 9, 2010