Re: Death of the slapping mirror

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tim Conway, Aug 24, 2010.

  1. Tim Conway

    Tim Conway Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > New Sony Alpha 55 with semitransparent non-moving mirror, only 30% light
    > loss but always on fast phase-AF, EVF.
    > No more issues with noise and vibrations caused by a slapping mirror,
    > phase AF available when shooting video.
    >
    > Quite an interesting innovation, I wonder if other manufacturers will
    > choose the same path. The advantage over an EVIL design is the phase-AF.
    > --

    Might have advantages, but it sounds like a dark viewfinder to me unless
    it's evf.

    Tim Conway, Aug 24, 2010

  2. On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:13:27 -0400, Tim Conway wrote:

    > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >> New Sony Alpha 55 with semitransparent non-moving mirror, only 30%
    >> light loss but always on fast phase-AF, EVF. No more issues with noise
    >> and vibrations caused by a slapping mirror, phase AF available when
    >> shooting video.
    >>
    >> Quite an interesting innovation, I wonder if other manufacturers will
    >> choose the same path. The advantage over an EVIL design is the
    >> phase-AF. --

    > Might have advantages, but it sounds like a dark viewfinder to me unless
    > it's evf.

    It does have an EVF, and so it is an EVIL design.

    --
    Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

    Robert Spanjaard, Aug 24, 2010

  3. In article <>, Neil
    Harrington <> writes

    >One additional advantage (other than less noise and vibration) might
    >be complete sealing of the mirror box, keeping dust away from the sensor
    >permanently.

    It isn't sealed, and it flips up to allow the sensor to be cleaned.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page4.asp
    Just like running a marathon with a car door strapped to your back -
    you can wind the window down when you feel hot. ;-)
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Aug 24, 2010
  4. Tim Conway

    Bruce Guest

    "Tim Conway" <> wrote:
    >"Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >> New Sony Alpha 55 with semitransparent non-moving mirror, only 30% light
    >> loss but always on fast phase-AF, EVF.
    >> No more issues with noise and vibrations caused by a slapping mirror,
    >> phase AF available when shooting video.
    >>
    >> Quite an interesting innovation, I wonder if other manufacturers will
    >> choose the same path. The advantage over an EVIL design is the phase-AF.
    >> --

    >Might have advantages, but it sounds like a dark viewfinder to me unless
    >it's evf.

    It's an EVF.

    It has to be one of the most pointless cameras ever made.

    Bruce, Aug 24, 2010