Re: Dead pixel or not??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by alan, Jul 19, 2010.

  1. alan

    alan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I downloaded a wallpaper for my Windows 7 desktop. It's mostly a black
    > background (it's a picture of the big red eye of the HAL-9000 computer
    > from
    > 2001).
    >
    > Towards the upper left corner of my screen, I see what looks to be a dead
    > pixel,
    > one little white spot, as near as I can tell, the size of a pixel. If
    > it'sa dead
    > pixel, it's the first one I've experienced in three LCD monitors.
    >
    > I got somewhat annoyed as this is a month old and expensive monitor. So I
    > went
    > online and searched dead pixels. I found a couple of utilities that let
    > you
    > check for them. When I used them and turned the screen all black, or any
    > other
    > color, the little white spot disappeared.
    >
    > Okay, good. So I thought maybe it's an artifact in the picture itself, so
    > opened it with Paint Shop Pro figuring if it was there, I could just touch
    > it
    > up. It doesn't show up in PSP. But it's still there on my desktop.
    >
    > Doesn't appear to be an artifact, doesn't appear to be a dead pixel.
    > Anyone
    > have an idea what could be causing it? Of course, one little white spot on
    > black screen and my eye is drawn to it continually.. I could change
    > wallpaper,
    > since I see it nowhere else, it's just that this is a cool one. Thanks.

    Odd indeed that the "dead" pixel doesn't show up on your pixel-checking
    utilities and odder still that it didn't show up when you opened the pic in
    PSP . . .
    Just out of curiosity, can you provide a link to that pic?
    Thanks.

    alan, Jul 19, 2010

  2. alan

    Mike Easter Guest

    alan wrote:

    > Odd indeed that the "dead" pixel doesn't show up on your pixel-checking
    > utilities and odder still that it didn't show up when you opened the pic
    > in PSP . . .

    I have a sick pixel on one LCD monitor which shows as a different color,
    greenish on some 'screens' (some of those with black content) but not
    others.

    I haven't investigated what kinds of tools I would use to 'define' or
    diagnose what that pixel's exact illness is.

    It doesn't seem odd to me.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 19, 2010