Re: Dead pixel or not??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jul 19, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > I downloaded a wallpaper for my Windows 7 desktop. It's mostly a black
    > background (it's a picture of the big red eye of the HAL-9000 computer
    > from 2001).
    >
    > Towards the upper left corner of my screen, I see what looks to be a
    > dead pixel, one little white spot, as near as I can tell, the size of
    > a pixel. If it'sa dead pixel, it's the first one I've experienced in
    > three LCD monitors.
    >
    > I got somewhat annoyed as this is a month old and expensive monitor.
    > So I went online and searched dead pixels. I found a couple of
    > utilities that let you check for them. When I used them and turned the
    > screen all black, or any other color, the little white spot
    > disappeared.
    >
    > Okay, good. So I thought maybe it's an artifact in the picture itself,
    > so I opened it with Paint Shop Pro figuring if it was there, I could
    > just touch it up. It doesn't show up in PSP. But it's still there on
    > my desktop.
    >
    > Doesn't appear to be an artifact, doesn't appear to be a dead pixel.
    > Anyone
    > have an idea what could be causing it? Of course, one little white
    > spot on a black screen and my eye is drawn to it continually.. I could
    > change wallpaper, since I see it nowhere else, it's just that this is
    > a cool one. Thanks.

    What type of monitor are we talking about here? You never say. What is
    the minimum number of failed pixels covered by replacement under
    warrenty? CRT's don't *have* that problem BTW. Never have and never
    will.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 19, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:39:06 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I downloaded a wallpaper for my Windows 7 desktop. It's mostly a
    >>> black background (it's a picture of the big red eye of the HAL-9000
    >>> computer from 2001).
    >>>
    >>> Towards the upper left corner of my screen, I see what looks to be a
    >>> dead pixel, one little white spot, as near as I can tell, the size
    >>> of a pixel. If it'sa dead pixel, it's the first one I've experienced
    >>> in three LCD monitors.
    >>>
    >>> I got somewhat annoyed as this is a month old and expensive monitor.
    >>> So I went online and searched dead pixels. I found a couple of
    >>> utilities that let you check for them. When I used them and turned
    >>> the screen all black, or any other color, the little white spot
    >>> disappeared.
    >>>
    >>> Okay, good. So I thought maybe it's an artifact in the picture
    >>> itself, so I opened it with Paint Shop Pro figuring if it was there,
    >>> I could just touch it up. It doesn't show up in PSP. But it's still
    >>> there on my desktop.
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't appear to be an artifact, doesn't appear to be a dead
    >>> pixel. Anyone
    >>> have an idea what could be causing it? Of course, one little white
    >>> spot on a black screen and my eye is drawn to it continually.. I
    >>> could change wallpaper, since I see it nowhere else, it's just that
    >>> this is a cool one. Thanks.

    >>What type of monitor are we talking about here? You never say. What is
    >>the minimum number of failed pixels covered by replacement under
    >>warrenty? CRT's don't *have* that problem BTW. Never have and never
    >>will.

    > Sorry, I forgot to mention the monitor's specs. It's a Dell U-2410
    > Ultra Sharp, 24" monitor, about a month old.

    Dell. A $64 monitor. About 1/6th what I'd pay for a monitor. Check it with
    different single colour backgrounds. Pure red, pure blue and pure green.
    Then try white.

    I extremely doubt they'll think of replacing it with less than 5 bad pixels.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 19, 2010

  3. chuckcar

    alan Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:39:06 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote in

    >>>What type of monitor are we talking about here? You never say. What is
    >>>the minimum number of failed pixels covered by replacement under
    >>>warrenty? CRT's don't *have* that problem BTW. Never have and never
    >>>will.

    >> Sorry, I forgot to mention the monitor's specs. It's a Dell U-2410
    >> Ultra Sharp, 24" monitor, about a month old.
    >>

    > Dell. A $64 monitor. About 1/6th what I'd pay for a monitor. . . .

    $64??!! No shit?!? I figured somewhere between $500 - $600:
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...p93OCA&sa=button&ved=0CAkQgggwADgA#freeship=1
    You *gotta* tell me where you shop!

    alan, Jul 19, 2010
  4. chuckcar

    Tony Guest

    Chuck used to take calls from rank noobs but got fired when he phoned some of the rank noobs back asking for some computer literacy advice.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on the job for potty mouth,

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jul 19, 2010
  5. chuckcar

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:39:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > warrenty

    WTF?????

    Aardvark, Jul 20, 2010
  6. chuckcar

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:22:26 -0700, alan wrote:

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote in

    >>> Sorry, I forgot to mention the monitor's specs. It's a Dell U-2410
    >>> Ultra Sharp, 24" monitor, about a month old.
    >>>

    >> Dell. A $64 monitor. About 1/6th what I'd pay for a monitor. . . .

    > $64??!! No shit?!? I figured somewhere between $500 - $600:
    > http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&q=Dell

    +U2410
    +Ultrasharp&cid=2081534988541421315&ei=oc9DTPPuIp7ejATpp93OCA&sa=button&ved=0CAkQgggwADgA#freeship=1
    > You *gotta* tell me where you shop!

    Tards 'R Us

    Aardvark, Jul 20, 2010
  7. Aardvark <> via

    > On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:39:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> warrenty

    > WTF?????

    w - a - r - r - e - n - t - y ...

    W - A - R - R - E - N - T - Y !

    It's like "Inglorious Basterds",
    you self-endulgiant grammer-gnat-zee.

    HTH.

    PS : I *NEVER* buy the additional warrenty packages
    from Sears, because if it lasts past the 90-days
    standerd, I got my money's wurf.

    HTH2

    Oh yeah... The OP should just check the LCD screen for boogers
    and/or spit bubbles, especially if his girlfriend tried to
    stick her finger in his hiney crack whilst he was busy typing.

    <WHEW!> It sure feels good to have just saved the world.
    Now, back to the BP Gulf of Mexico oil well issues...

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
    and I am voting to confirm Kagen...

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10699253

    .... because that ghay-ass court needs
    someone who can actually play softball
    if they're ever going to win the trophy!

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.