Re: DDR3 v DDR2 and SLi Support?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by TehRabbitt, Nov 22, 2008.

  1. TehRabbitt

    TehRabbitt Guest

    John wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me whether it is worth opting for DDR3 over DDR2
    > memory with the current price differences?
    >
    > E.g.
    > Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX (2x2GB)
    > £39.94 inc VAT
    >
    > OCZ 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Platinum (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR3
    > £140.99 inc VAT
    >
    > Is the performance increase worth the £100+ price difference (353%
    > more) ?
    >
    > And howabout if you had 8GB of the DDR2 PC2-6400 memory compared with
    > just the 4GB of the DDR3 PC3-10666C7 memory. Which would you opt for
    > in this instance if the 8GB DDR2 memory was priced at £117.49?
    >
    > E.g.
    > OCZ 8GB (4x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel Platinum Low Latency
    > XTC Series DDR2
    > £117.49 inc VAT
    >
    > Also a lot of the current motherboards seem to have support for
    > Crossfire and not a lot have Sli support unless its simply not stated?
    >
    > For example when I am looking at a website selling computer components
    > here in the UK and looking at the Intel 775 P43/P45 chipset boards
    > when I scroll down the list the majority say Crossfire. Why is that?
    > Is it just that ATI are dominating the Graphics Card market or
    > something?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John

    It really all depends on what you are going to be using the PC for. If
    you are using it for gaming and/or rendering video or multimedia, i'd
    say go with the DDR3, and use a x64 setup with a Core2Quad, or one of
    the new Intel i7 Processors with 8 virtual cores. Personally i'd spend
    the extra $$ and get the DDR3 as DDR2 will soon phase out with the
    release of the new i7 Chipset.
    TehRabbitt, Nov 22, 2008