Re: DC40 WHAT'S IT COST?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steven M. Scharf, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. JSzorady () wrote:

    >> WHAT DOES THE KODAK DC-40 RETAIL FOR. ARE THERE OTHER
    >> CAMERAS THAT CAN BE A CHEAP WAY INTO DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY ?

    > the DC40 costs $949 from MacMall. The Apple Quicktake 150 costs about
    > $750, the Chinon ESC3000 $949 (but uses extraordinarily expensive
    > PCMCIA memory cards: $239-2mb, $349-4mb, $699-8mb). i don't know a
    > price for the Casio QV10 or the Logitech offhand, but they are
    > basically the only others in this class.
    >
    > i am in the process of creating a page for information about digital
    > cameras in this class, if you have information to offer or
    > suggestions or the like, please drop some email. thanks!

    These prices seem very high. I'd look at getting something like the Fuji
    FinePix A205, for about $130. The DC-40 has only internal memory and is very
    low resolution. You can buy one used on eBay pretty cheaply.
    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 26, 2003

  2. << > the DC40 costs $949 from MacMall. The Apple Quicktake 150 costs about
    > $750, the Chinon ESC3000 $949 (but uses extraordinarily expensive
    > PCMCIA memory cards: $239-2mb, $349-4mb, $699-8mb). i don't know a
    > price for the Casio QV10 or the Logitech offhand, but they are
    > basically the only others in this class.

    These prices seem very high. >>

    Steven-

    I suspect these are "nostalgia" prices that were in effect when those cameras
    first came on the market. I think that is close to what I paid for my Chinon
    ESC3000.

    I purchased the ESC3000 as a step-up from the older Apple QuickTake 100, and
    was upset when the salesman's claim that you could read the PCMCIA cards in
    your laptop, turned out to be a flat-out lie! They even sold me a card that
    would not work. Later, I obtained a 4 Meg card that was intended for the Apple
    Newton, but worked in the Chinon.

    I had barely opened the camera package when I saw an advertisement for the new
    Kodak DC-50. It was identical to the Chinon ESC3000 except it used ATA PCMCIA
    cards that the laptop could read. The two were obviously made in the same
    factory.

    Cameras have come a long way in a short time. Compared to the Chinon's $949
    price, modern cameras look like terrific bargains! Today, a camera that costs
    less than $100 will outdo the ESC3000 or DC-50 in most respects.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Steven M. Scharf

    CARBUFF Guest

    ><< > the DC40 costs $949 from MacMall. The Apple Quicktake 150 costs about
    >> $750, the Chinon ESC3000 $949 (but uses extraordinarily expensive
    >> PCMCIA memory cards: $239-2mb, $349-4mb, $699-8mb). i don't know a
    >> price for the Casio QV10 or the Logitech offhand, but they are
    >> basically the only others in this class.
    >>

    >These prices seem very high. >>
    >

    >Steven-
    >
    >I suspect these are "nostalgia" prices that were in effect when those cameras
    >first came on the market. I think that is close to what I paid for my Chinon
    >ESC3000.
    >
    >I purchased the ESC3000 as a step-up from the older Apple QuickTake 100, and
    >was upset when the salesman's claim that you could read the PCMCIA cards in
    >your laptop, turned out to be a flat-out lie! They even sold me a card that
    >would not work. Later, I obtained a 4 Meg card that was intended for the
    >Apple
    >Newton, but worked in the Chinon.
    >
    >I had barely opened the camera package when I saw an advertisement for the
    >new
    >Kodak DC-50. It was identical to the Chinon ESC3000 except it used ATA
    >PCMCIA
    >cards that the laptop could read. The two were obviously made in the same
    >factory.
    >
    >Cameras have come a long way in a short time. Compared to the Chinon's $949
    >price, modern cameras look like terrific bargains! Today, a camera that
    >costs
    >less than $100 will outdo the ESC3000 or DC-50 in most respects.
    >
    >Fred

    I think that the OP was an ancient post from years ago. A dc40 loaded with all
    accessories on ebay is a $50 item.

    George
    CARBUFF, Nov 27, 2003