Re: DC290 external flash

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ron Baird, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Ron Baird

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Ross,

    Many flash units function very well with the camera ISO at 100. Sometimes,
    however, the camera ISO rating is exceeded when using an external flash
    unit. When this happens, the results are better if you choose the lens
    aperture as if the ISO rating were 400 or 800 rather than 100. The ISO of
    the camera does not actually change. What happens is the leaf-shutter /
    aperture timing interacts with the rise and fall of the intensity of the
    flash. Since the cameras use a combined shutter / aperture, they can sync
    with electronic flash at any speed. The standard shutter speed of these
    cameras is 1/60 second when using external flash. If the ambient light is
    high enough, the camera switches itself to a faster shutter speed to prevent
    ghosting in the image. This assures that the external flash is the primary
    source of light in a low ambient light condition (usually indoors or at
    night) and that it functions as a fill light when used in daylight.The
    camera can not compensate for the differences of flash units. Test your
    flash unit to determine which ISO value works best in your situation.
    Set the aperture on the camera to the same aperture on the flash. You can
    determine this number from the aperture calculator on the flash unit, from a
    handheld flash meter, or from the following formula:

    Aperture Value (f) = Guide Number (GNo) / Distance (m)

    Talk to you soon, Ross, or see you around the newsgroup.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    Ron Baird, Jul 10, 2003